England Squad Named

Seems unbalanced for mine, only 2 wingers (I really struggle to see who'll play there if there's an injury) and 2 centres but 4 halfbacks and Ratchford as a utility seems like overkill. As previously mentioned, would take DCE if he'd decided he felt English but Heighington isn't good enough at rugby to play for England, allegiances aside.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wackojacko said:

The question was how we are going to play, not what effect it will have.

I offered my opinion to the proposition of that style of play based on past performances.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

He played in the play off semis (and had a blinder) so doubt it

Then I have no idea why hasn't been chosen. I suppose the thing is that he plays on the wing, and England coaches will still be rolling Ryan hall out in 30 years time, even if they have to put castors on him.

7 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Not a bad squad but I'd have picked a few different:

Heighington out for Ward/G Burgess

Ratchford out for S Tomkins

K Brown out for Makinson

Always been a big fan of Makinson. Not a Saints fan so don't see him every week, but I'd have had him in the squad well before now.

14 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Heighington is a mediocrity and a journeyman who would not get selected for Australia or New  Zealand (even if he qualified).

He showed this year that he couldn't keep up with the pace of the game anymore. Which is sad because I like him a lot.

I honestly don't understand that selection.

Bennett probably didn't watch as many Cronulla games as I did this year.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

7 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

That's an excellent point.

Is Makinson injured or something?

6 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

He played in the play off semis (and had a blinder) so doubt it

I would have taken Makinson or Ben Jones-Bishop over one of the halves (probably Brown) as they add some cover and quality to the outside backs.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, wackojacko said:

Seems unbalanced for mine, only 2 wingers (I really struggle to see who'll play there if there's an injury) and 2 centres but 4 halfbacks and Ratchford as a utility seems like overkill. As previously mentioned, would take DCE if he'd decided he felt English but Heighington isn't good enough at rugby to play for England, allegiances aside.

Is the game in England so barren for players that they will choose an Australian Player if he should suddenly decide to "feel English"

The fact he has played 11 times for Australia already obviously counts him out.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

Is the game in England so barren for players that they will choose an Australian Player if he should suddenly decide to "feel English"

Maybe he could still play for Wales though, with a surname like Evans? :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Allora said:

But Australia were fine picking Kiwi born, World Cup Winner Tonie Carroll? ?

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I would have taken Makinson or Ben Jones-Bishop over one of the halves (probably Brown) as they add some cover and quality to the outside backs.

The more I think about it, the more confused I become regarding the omission of Makinson. Not just from this squad, but from previous ones as well.

I am as far from being a Saints fan as it is possible to be, but this guy is just a great player. Exciting, brave, defensively brilliant at times.

Just now, DoubleD said:

Maybe he could still play for Wales though, with a surname like Evans? :ph34r:

Or even Fiji, apparently he has been on a booze Cruise there when he was younger :-)

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

But Australia were fine picking Kiwi born, World Cup Winner Tonie Carroll? ?

Well the rules were different back in the dark ages Spidey.

Things have moved on and rules have changed, Tonie moved to Brisbane as a young boy and played all his Junior football in the Brisbane area.

You seem to have Uluru on your shoulder about something Spidey, did a Dingo take your Sister?

How long has DCE lived in Wigan?

1 hour ago, Allora said:

'If he'd decided he felt English'. If he decided he was English now I wouldn't take him but before he chose Australia he was being touted as an option for us.

3 minutes ago, Allora said:

Well the rules were different back in the dark ages Spidey.

Things have moved on and rules have changed, Tonie moved to Brisbane as a young boy and played all his Junior football in the Brisbane area.

You seem to have Uluru on your shoulder about something Spidey, did a Dingo take your Sister?

How long has DCE lived in Wigan?

It was very much a joke. I have been told Aussies don't have a sense of humour. You're sort of proving that point ?

Just now, wackojacko said:

'If he'd decided he felt English'. If he decided he was English now I wouldn't take him but before he chose Australia he was being touted as an option for us.

Touted by who? his agent, somebody on TRL?

Touted by a desperate England Coach, who was the Coach that said he would leave no stone unturned to find any Aussies players with links to England?

The Morris Twins, the Newcastle Half etc

I had hoped that Brown was a misprint, but sadly not!

I have no problem with Heighington, he put his hand up back in 2011 and is a solid player. It's easy to question why WB has included him but we don't know what he brings to the squad. I suspect he's the kind of player who trains the house down and sets the example. Every team, however great, still have such players.

Tomkins should have been there in place of Ratchford and as a replacement for Brown where he could have covered #1 and #6. It would have freed up the three-quarters place.

1 hour ago, Allora said:

Touted by who? his agent, somebody on TRL?

Touted by a desperate England Coach, who was the Coach that said he would leave no stone unturned to find any Aussies players with links to England?

The Morris Twins, the Newcastle Half etc

The press IIRC.

My test team from the squad names

1. Lomax

2. McGillvary

3. Watkins

4. Percival

5. Hall

6. Widdop

7. Gale

8. T. Burgess

9. Hodgson

10. Graham

11. Currie

12. Whitehead

13. Sam Burgess

14. O'Louglin

15. Williams

16. Walmsley

17. Roby

As stated before, I would start Sam Burgess at 13 and essentially run on with 3 big men and then move Sam Burgess up to prop when O'Loughlin comes on and use Burgess *2, Walmsley and Graham as the front row rotation and that gives us the freedom to start with Hodgson and bring Roby on (Hodgson has played some loose forward this year as well) while still having Williams as cover for the halves or an impact player. 

I think we need to give Widdop/Gales as much time together as possible - they have been great all year, we can't start playing with combinations - give them a chance to perform.

Currie and Whitehead are our best attacking options on the right and left edge while the three quarters pick themselves (as there isn't anybody else in the squad!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It was very much a joke. I have been told Aussies don't have a sense of humour. You're sort of proving that point ?

Your "jokes" are very consistent and hardly come under the category of humour.

The face at the end does not cut it.

45 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

The omission of Eden seems odd to me.

What am I missing?

Saturday's game at Old Trafford for starters.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Archived