Tommy Holland

Batley Bob

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy with this looks hungry and able. Give me a lad like this over nick fozzard, tonks, or some 35 yr old after some training gear!

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

1 hour ago, fredm said:

Another prop?  So with Rowe; Brown; Lillycrop; Gledhill and Harrison plus the lad from Oldham means we now have 7.  Is someone on the move that we haven't heard about?

When has Harrison played prop? 

If you look at the injuries at the back end of the season just gone we were struggling for a prop! Two good new signings imo. 

1 hour ago, fredm said:

Another prop?  So with Rowe; Brown; Lillycrop; Gledhill and Harrison plus the lad from Oldham means we now have 7.  Is someone on the move that we haven't heard about?

I think Harrison is more of a second rower than a prop. I get what you mean though, it does give us 6 to choose from. However, I think it is a position we needed to strengthen since Maher is not likely to be with us next season, if the rumours are true regarding Cas DRing with Halifax.

TBH If what I heard on the grapevine is true regarding Cas making Maher unavailable for our Semi Final against Sheffield even if he had not been in Castleford's squad for there nothing match, I'd kick Powell and Castleford in to touch anyway, it is pretty despicable if true, and smacks of another instance of the Sheffield mafia. 

Rowe isn't getting any younger either and seemed to lose a bit of the impact he had shown in previous seasons, so it is nice to have options.

Can't say that Fozzard has been such a big name, Tonka has longevity not much else. If this punt works as well as our punt on Sam Scott from York (Sam very unlucky with that season-long injury, would still have been here IMO!!) then AOK with me. BUT we're still waiting for that stand-off.......

Decent looking signing of a lad on the way up rather than down. Look forward to him making his mark, as a big prop is just what we need imo

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

2 hours ago, graham fisher said:

I think you'll find that such as Fozzard & Tonks have proved themselves down the years whereas Tommy Holland as it all to prove.

Touchy Graham. I think the point was better to invest time and finance into a young lad rather than someone at the other end of their career.

For what it is worth, l have long admired Tonks as an underrated prop at our level and would have enjoyed seeing him in our colours in the past.

7 hours ago, fredm said:

Well with maher leaving and I don't know about brad hill , that's 2 for 2 in my eyes Fred

IMG_0583.JPG

34 minutes ago, Kevin Nicholas said:

I can feel a boycott coming on as we have signed too many forwards although didnt know Buford had ended his last boycott.

Thanks Kevin, nice to know you missed me. I wrote last season off mid season, and I didnt miss much by all accounts - first time in many years i've missed so many games, I may have been one of the most vocal but I wasnt the only one.

New year new hope - it cant get any worse surely?

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

Far too much moaning on here these days.

Every thread seems to turn into complaints either about the scoreboard, website or player recruitment. 

Looking at the league next year if we finish 6th it will be a cracking effort given the fact that there are four full time clubs around, plus  others with bigger budgets (Fev & Fax).

We’d all like to see a couple of big name recruits but we simply don’t have the dollar to outbid the aforementioned teams. Plus there’s a death around in all honesty, particularly in positions like half back.

So let’s be realistic. 

9 hours ago, Kevin Nicholas said:

We believe that this lad & Ward are 2 players who Matt has targeted who have been under the radar a bit and are exactly what we were looking for. We are sure Oldham & Haven speak highly of them. They are here to impress not make up numbers.

Are we signing any halfbacks in replace of cain or will this young man slip into that roll, imo of course we are desperate for a cover half back after all, when patch got injured it affected performances big time.

That's right Billy B turn a positive into a negative! Perhaps you should throw your hat in for half back cover?

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

54 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

That's right Billy B turn a positive into a negative! Perhaps you should throw your hat in for half back cover?

He's quite right, though. I'll be immensely disappointed if we keep Walker at 6 next season with Hemingway as cover. Walker is a great player and one of my favourites - an ideal loose-forward. However, what we're missing is a halfback with pace, an ability to score tries and break tackles. Any of those three attributes would do for me. 

I agree and every coach is looking for him but I don't think we'll find owt better than patch imo 

19 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

I agree and every coach is looking for him but I don't think we'll find owt better than patch imo 

I still think we should be looking abroad - as do other clubs in our league. Good scouting can often turn up a gem. There are plenty of players Down Under who would welcome a shot at our level with a view to advancing their careers. They come at a cost, but clubs with seemingly less spending power than ourselves are able to sign them. 

For what it's worth, I'm pleased with the signings of Michael Ward and Holland. Both big, powerful, highly rated props. 

Archived