Your 2021 england team

For a bit of fun,based off what you know now,how young think players will develop/regress,any academy players you have seen that you think are future stars,and also the style of player/ team you like...what would your hypothetical england 17 be for the 2021 world cup?...(apologies if theres already a thread on this) mine would be:

1. Jack walker, 2. Tom johnston, 3. Kallum watkins, 4. Liam sutcliffe. 5, joe burgess. 6, gareth widdop. 7, george williams. 8, tom burgess. 9, josh hodgson. 10, george burgess. 11, stevie ward. 12, ben currie. 13, sam burgess.      14,darryl clark. 15, alex walmsley. 16,mikolaj oledzki 17, mike mcmeeken.

29 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

For a bit of fun,based off what you know now,how young think players will develop/regress,any academy players you have seen that you think are future stars,and also the style of player/ team you like...what would your hypothetical england 17 be for the 2021 world cup?...(apologies if theres already a thread on this) mine would be:

1. Jack walker, 2. Tom johnston, 3. Kallum watkins, 4. Liam sutcliffe. 5, joe burgess. 6, gareth widdop. 7, george williams. 8, tom burgess. 9, josh hodgson. 10, george burgess. 11, stevie ward. 12, ben currie. 13, sam burgess.      14,darryl clark. 15, alex walmsley. 16,mikolaj oledzki 17, mike mcmeeken.

Worryingly few fresh faces there, although I don't necessarily doubt your selection. Do our best youngsters, especially in the halves, get the gametime they need to step up to the next level?

We need players like Trueman, Patton and Lilley to be SL starters for next 4 years, and knocking on the England door.

35 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

This is always a difficult one. Who had Alex Walmsley, Jack Walker, Ben Currie, Mike McMeeken, George Williams etc. anywhere near the 2017 debate four years ago? Stars emerge so quickly in RL that someone could burst onto the scene in 2018 and be fully established by 2021.

27 minutes ago, Scubby said:

This is always a difficult one. Who had Alex Walmsley, Jack Walker, Ben Currie, Mike McMeeken, George Williams etc. anywhere near the 2017 debate four years ago? Stars emerge so quickly in RL that someone could burst onto the scene in 2018 and be fully established by 2021.

Yeah iv no dount it will look a fair bit differant when the time arrives. But like i say,its a bit of fun based on what we see and think at the minute,and what people like in there teams. Theres a lot of knowable fans on here,just interested to see what people think. 

40 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Worryingly few fresh faces there, although I don't necessarily doubt your selection. Do our best youngsters, especially in the halves, get the gametime they need to step up to the next level?

We need players like Trueman, Patton and Lilley to be SL starters for next 4 years, and knocking on the England door.

Yeah the halfs are a big worry...Morgan smith at warrington has got loads of talent but he's been playin 9 so far. We do tend to move talented halfs to differant positions a lot in england. 

9 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

But positions are fluid, especially with young kids, I don't really see that as an issue. Cooper Cronk was going to be a hooker originally (I think). The bigger question is why are our junior halfs coming through with big skill deficiencies meaning they have to be moved either to hooker or fullback?

Obviously most of this will be wrong and plenty of the players actually in the 2021 team won't even be heard of now...:

1. Jack Walker

2. Tom Johnstone

3. Mark Percival

4. Oliver Gildart

5. Dom Manfredi

6. Gareth Widdop

7. Danny Richardson

8. Tom Burgess

9. Josh Hodgson

10. George Burgess

11. Stevie Ward

12. Ben Currie

13. John Bateman

14. Alex Walmsley

15. Joe Greenwood

16. Scott Taylor

17. George Williams

Yeah i agree to an extent,but i think they get moved too quickly,if a good young half has got any pace theyr shifted to fullback before they know it rather than letting them learn there trade at 6 or 7. Morgan smith who i mentioned earlier is the best young half iv seen come through in a few year and whilst its good he's around warringtons 17 most weeks,he wont be developing his skills as a half whilst he's used as an interchange 9. I dont think warrington would of done any worse if they'd used patton and smith at 6 and 7 during the second half of the season.

1 minute ago, Saint 1 said:

See I see it the opposite way. Players come through at halfback because they get the ball more, but while pacey they often have deficiencies with regards to organising, game management, kicking game, distribution - areas which they've got away with not having while coming through the ranks, due to their pace compensating for this. To allow for the fact they have these flaws, they get moved to a position where they can ballplay without having the same expectations.

Yeah i agree totally that they havnt got the all round game when they first reach first team level because a lot of stand out academy halfs rely on there athletic ability coming through the grades. But i dont think they get enough time to learn them once they get to first team level and once they get shifted to another position there learning curve slows down because theyr not learning how to manage a game or arnt asked to do any tactical kicking. 

Its a hard one because obviously every club is in the win first buissness but i do think theres chances missed to give talented young halfs solid game time in the halfback positions.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Tom Johnstone is soemone who looked to be a player that could develop into a world class winger very quickly. As with Gildart, Manfredi and Currie these young guys have had some awful luck with injuries.

Brilliant talent imo, big,tall,blistering pace and good footwork. Hope he comes back from his injury 100%.

As a leeds fan id throw the kitchen sink at wakey to try and get him.

1 hour ago, rhinos78 said:

Brilliant talent imo, big,tall,blistering pace and good footwork. Hope he comes back from his injury 100%.

As a leeds fan id throw the kitchen sink at wakey to try and get him.

Hopefully Michael Carter would catch it and throw it back.:tongue:

1 hour ago, rhinos78 said:

Havnt seen much of him,he's a back rower isnt he? Who would you liken him to in the way he plays?

Yes he's a back rower.  Tall, decent pace and doesn't  shirk the hard graft.  Young Batch if he keeps developing could well be as good as Paul Sculthorpe.

Danny Walker of Widnes at hooker won't be a million miles away, class act and hard as nails.

Just 17 and looked liked he had played SL for ever when he came into the team and had the bottle to square up to Chris Hill.

Very much one to watch.

Plenty of London broncos fans also rate their u19 centre Jacob Ogden very highly as well. Think he played for England against France at the weekend.

14 minutes ago, Rioman said:

Yes he's a back rower.  Tall, decent pace and doesn't  shirk the hard graft.  Young Batch if he keeps developing could well be as good as Paul Sculthorpe.

Good to hear. The more young talents the better. Wakey are in a good position to bring young lads in at the minute,theyre coming into a good competitive team so they get a chance to show there best. 

Yeah id throw the sink back too if i was wakey,think johnstons absolute top class,was gutted he got the bad injury.

5 hours ago, Scubby said:

I take the point but i think most watchers of the youth game had Ben Currie down as a shoe in for a future international from a very early stage, in fact even 4 years ago he was lining up at Stand Off for Ireland against England and Australia in the world cup when he was just 18 years old. Were it not for injuries he would have several caps for England by now I am sure. I genuinely think he's perhaps the best player in the entire England squad currently, and fingers crossed that his knee can hold out so we can see him in action this Autumn - I know that the coaches are giving consideration to playing him at centre.

And who might coach the team?  There seem to be some good young coaches coming through at, for instance, championship level.

43 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

And who might coach the team?  There seem to be some good young coaches coming through at, for instance, championship level.

Think brian mcdermott as head coach with ryan sheridon as assistant  wouldnt be a bad shout. Brians time at leeds cant go on forever and england would be a logical nxt step. I think being the national coach might play to his strengths more than club coaching,he knows how to win big games and his players seem like they would run through walls for him. Sheridan to provide the bit of structure and guile that brian lacks.

Darryl powell at leeds to replace him please. Best coach in super league for me. Just think mcdermott might be more suited to the national job than him

Archived