New York rugby league.

roughyed1064

They bring publicity and much needed media attention.  They pay their own way, and if they follow the Toronto model, will pay for teams to visit them.  We have had 100 years to get our act in order.

I think we should look how Toronto and NY do things, adapt them to suit us.  Build our own tower rather than trying to knock down everyone else's.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Some people are complaining if they come in at L1, others if they come in to the Championship.  Can't please everyone it seems.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

That's my point BR, not knocking the ambition of these clubs but i really don't care about them, I'm worried about our own club and where this leaves us, how can we build our own tower, as you say, when CH won't let RO help to build some terracing?? Anyone who isn't worried for our club now is a naive fool 

11 hours ago, thecrab said:

That's my point BR, not knocking the ambition of these clubs but i really don't care about them, I'm worried about our own club and where this leaves us, how can we build our own tower, as you say, when CH won't let RO help to build some terracing?? Anyone who isn't worried for our club now is a naive fool 

I don't disagree about our club.  

If we don't manage to climb out of League One at the first time of asking, the prospect of visiting NYC for an Oldham game in 2019 is certainly appealing. 

Mrs N and I have been there a few times and if you stay in Brooklyn it's not too pricey.  We co-habited with a Japanese couple in Greenpoint a few years back, $50 a night with our own private bathroom.

Then again, if we do bounce straight back up, I won't grumble about having to do Toulouse again (or maybe Toronto). :)

The future of RL is bleak unless you have a sugar daddy. NY and Toronto do it easy, big money,a team of players bought from existing teams with that money. They offer publicity but no actual development of the game, if Toronto players fancy a change to NY then it's no problem, they are just weakening existing,established UK based teams. It's the end of lower division RL if you ask me. When as Moorside suggests an NARL including Canada has 12 viable teams with majority home grown sides then I might feel different about this whole farce of transatlantic clubs, it won't end there, wait for Paris,Barcelona,Madrid,Munich,Berlin etc to come in. Who is going to make way for these Super clubs? 

Develop the game in every country by all means, but don't just shoehorn "franchises" in to suit the whim of the RFL. RL does not have enough SL quality players to sustain these clubs taking players from other clubs.

It's not just lower division clubs who should be worried, some SL teams will be looking over their shoulder too I reckon.

If licensing is brought back then clearly we will have a SL including NY and Toronto. possibly Bradford also. Who out of SL will drop out to accomodate these sides?

With these developments I honestly see the likes of us,half the Champ clubs and probs all Champ 1 clubs having no future whatsoever. The RFL don't want us,it's plain to see. It's truly depressing that the RFL think more of expanding with fake teams in far flung places with no or little RL heritage being cast to the wolves.

What's to say with restructuring at the end of 2019 that even if a club wins a promotion spot, will it just be nominal and be brushed under the carpet to allow the RFL to basically allow who they want into the competition's?

Until we know if there is any way forward for Champ/Champ 1 clubs then this coming season is pointless, we amongst every other club could be fighting for nothing. 

The RFL have a lot to answer for with all this tripe, they are quick enough to admit these clubs without even telling the RL world what their plans are going forward. It's a joke.

9 minutes ago, roughyed34 said:

Until we know if there is any way forward for Champ/Champ 1 clubs then this coming season is pointless, we amongst every other club could be fighting for nothing.

I can't stop considering this point.  It almost makes relegation bearable because we'll hopefully win more games than we lose in 2018 while the likes of Hornets/Swinton/Barrow will be experiencing the one in four wins if they're lucky. 

2019 then comes along, it's all change and the top end of League One gets lumped back in with the Championship somehow.    

I hope we do win more than we lose Dave ?. Be gutting though if ,even though a club "wins" promotion the restructure still leaves you in the bottom tier. The RFL will hand pick via licensing who they want. Maybe even for the Championship/SL2 whatever it may be called. Can't imagine for one minute we would get a license for that division off the RFL. Guess we wait and see what Red Hall conjure up. I'm still incredibly worried for the future of all the lower division clubs.

unforetunately if you have a resteraunt that continues to serve ###### up to its customers, your business will go bust. A better run business will come along and take all your customers away from you , especially if you let them and dont put any kind of fight ............. if its a pub, a club, a coffee shop, a newsagents, a football club or even a RUGBY LEAGUE CLUB etc etc etc etc ......FACT

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

10 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

The future of RL is bleak unless you have a sugar daddy. NY and Toronto do it easy, big money,a team of players bought from existing teams with that money. They offer publicity but no actual development of the game, if Toronto players fancy a change to NY then it's no problem, they are just weakening existing,established UK based teams. It's the end of lower division RL if you ask me. When as Moorside suggests an NARL including Canada has 12 viable teams with majority home grown sides then I might feel different about this whole farce of transatlantic clubs, it won't end there, wait for Paris,Barcelona,Madrid,Munich,Berlin etc to come in. Who is going to make way for these Super clubs? 

Develop the game in every country by all means, but don't just shoehorn "franchises" in to suit the whim of the RFL. RL does not have enough SL quality players to sustain these clubs taking players from other clubs.

It's not just lower division clubs who should be worried, some SL teams will be looking over their shoulder too I reckon.

If licensing is brought back then clearly we will have a SL including NY and Toronto. possibly Bradford also. Who out of SL will drop out to accomodate these sides?

With these developments I honestly see the likes of us,half the Champ clubs and probs all Champ 1 clubs having no future whatsoever. The RFL don't want us,it's plain to see. It's truly depressing that the RFL think more of expanding with fake teams in far flung places with no or little RL heritage being cast to the wolves.

What's to say with restructuring at the end of 2019 that even if a club wins a promotion spot, will it just be nominal and be brushed under the carpet to allow the RFL to basically allow who they want into the competition's?

The RFL have a lot to answer for with all this tripe, they are quick enough to admit these clubs without even telling the RL world what their plans are going forward. It's a joke.

Spot on mate.

This is one if the reasons why we have to become a viable business AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

The existence of the club at the moment hangs on the needs and the capabilities of one man. 

If you were the RFL.....

Given the club's current governance, assurance and financial management (accounts late AGAIN) arrangements - combined with the debt levels, lack of community involvement/engagement and the level weve been playing at for 15 years - would you give the club a licence/franchise?

3 hours ago, HomeOfTheTubularBandage said:

This is one if the reasons why we have to become a viable business AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

The existence of the club at the moment hangs on the needs and the capabilities of one man. 

If you were the RFL.....

Given the club's current governance, assurance and financial management (accounts late AGAIN) arrangements - combined with the debt levels, lack of community involvement/engagement and the level weve been playing at for 15 years - would you give the club a licence/franchise?

Fair point.

Archived