He is back

Batley Bob

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Fallen on deaf ears by the looks.

Well I'm ok with this signing , Graham , goes well with breth , Farrell , crooks , walker , brambani , lillycrop , all got something in common but just can,t put my finger on it

IMG_0583.JPG

15 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

Yep, that's the Tom Hemmingway I'd hoped had joined us when he came. Looks a different player now physically, and has bulked up considerably for the hooker role. Almost certainly the reason he has lost some of his his pace. Could still be a good signing for you though, and as one of the "pond life" from over the valley, I really do wish him well - except agin us.

Isnt this 10 long years ago

6 hours ago, billybulldog said:

Sorry bb but imo of course this is a decade ago, ridiculous comparing those players to today, 10 yrs later

Both breth n patch are playing so I take it a decade on they shouldn't be in our squad either in your opinion

IMG_0583.JPG

8 hours ago, billybulldog said:

Sorry bb but imo of course this is a decade ago, ridiculous comparing those players to today, 10 yrs later

Erm - he is the same player and still only in his twenties so why shouldn't I compare him. My point is, if you've signed him specifically for halfback cover, he might fall short. If he is just cover for your first choices at HB or hooker, then he  will probably be adequate. Incidentally, would you say  the likes of Rob Burrow, or James Roby looked a great deal different last season than ten years ago ?

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

12 hours ago, Batley Bob said:

Well I'm ok with this signing , Graham , goes well with breth , Farrell , crooks , walker , brambani , lillycrop , all got something in common but just can,t put my finger on it

BB I think you'll find that Walker & Brambiani (more money) and Lillycrop (fell out with the coach) came via Sheffield Eagles. I've nothing against Tom Hemingway personally,the good games he had for us you could probably count on one hand,I honestly hope it works out for him.

TH was born in December 1986 Grumpy according to t'internet.  Also possibly a world record holder, converting 22 tries in a match for Blackpool Panthers, equaling Jim Sullivan's record. 

I thought that he was excellent back up for Black and Moore at half back.  He should hopefully be a useful squad member for us this time round.

RE the question of player availability.  There must be a number of things contributing to the shortage of half backs.  There are fewer local amateur Rugby League teams for starters.  Also many players that would have become half backs in the "old days" now play at hooker. You can throw in the the fact that there are more full time teams trying to fill their squads.  One other factor, I guess, is the changing role of the half back.  They used to defend nearer the middle of the park where there was help, if needed, in tackling the bigger guys.  They are now expected to defend out wide and tackle large centres one on one.  Some of the great and classic stand offs would have struggled to get a game if they had been expected to tackle hulking centres one on one near the try line.  There must be some talented lads that fall by the wayside because of this change in defensive role.

3 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

Erm - he is the same player and still only in his twenties so why shouldn't I compare him. My point is, if you've signed him specifically for halfback cover, he might fall short. If he is just cover for your first choices at HB or hooker, then he  will probably be adequate. Incidentally, would you say  the likes of Rob Burrow, or James Roby looked a great deal different last season than ten years ago ?

With respect, we're talking about someone who's never been remotely in the same class as either Roby and Burrow. Roby, in particular, isn't nearly the player that he was 10 years ago. 

3 hours ago, graham fisher said:

BB I think you'll find that Walker & Brambiani (more money) and Lillycrop (fell out with the coach) came via Sheffield Eagles. I've nothing against Tom Hemingway personally,the good games he had for us you could probably count on one hand,I honestly hope it works out for him.

Wasn't meaning directly , but at some point they have all pulled on a jewsbury shirt

IMG_0583.JPG

13 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

Isnt he in his thirtys now, or was he born on a leap year, imo of course

15 hours ago, Batley Bob said:

Both breth n patch are playing so I take it a decade on they shouldn't be in our squad either in your opinion

Imo they play regular rugby and as a good combination, were as i have said it before, hemingway couldnt even get in a 50 man squad at dewsbury, 

Give the lad a chance under the tutelage of  Matt Diskin and the conditioning of John Heaton. With our well-structured fitness regime, we have improved players when taken back from other clubs (Keegan Hirst), and Tom Hemingway could be a surprise package in a support role within the squad. He does have kicking ability, and plenty of experience in our division. I see it as a positive move within our tight budgetary confines.

10 hours ago, billybulldog said:

Isnt he in his thirtys now, or was he born on a leap year, imo of course

You've obviously got more hairs to split than I have.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

36 minutes ago, billybulldog said:

Just getting my facts right, imo of course you should try it

Pot kettle - I suggest you look at love rugby stats for the number of appearances made by TH in 2017.  ;)

George Bernard Shaw.

18 hours ago, billybulldog said:

Imo they play regular rugby and as a good combination, were as i have said it before, hemingway couldnt even get in a 50 man squad at dewsbury, 

Well he did get into the "50 man squad" Billy and also got into the team seven times last season. I know that you value accuracy.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, billybulldog said:

Omg is that your way of being sarcastic, imo of course ur not very good at it

No, it's my way of being accurate. Hemingway was in the Dewsbury squad! Was James Brown not in the Batley squad last season? Despite not playing all the games?

Archived