He is back

Batley Bob

2 hours ago, ernieone said:

As far as were we finish next season and the expectations, I imagine the club will be gearing up to finish in the top four which would be a tremendous (some say impossible) achievement.

Looking realistically the 4 full time teams Leigh, Toronto, London, Toulouse should take the top 4 spots with Batley  up against Halifax, Featherstone and  maybe Sheffield being the main contenders for the also ran's trophy and the rest trying to avoid the trap door in to oblivion.

It is good to know that you have no worries yourself about this trapdoor Ernie, this being something for the lesser lights to concern themselves with.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, it felt like the division was split in two last season. The top 5 and then everyone else. The league standings also indicated this quite accurately too. 

Judging by the player movements so far within the division, I've not seen anything to suggest this season will be much different. 

The 4 full time teams should be better than the rest, then Featherstone, Halifax and us for 5th - 7th (probably in that order), Dewsbury and Swinton in 8th and 9th, then Sheffield, Barrow and Rochdale in the relegation battle.

Unless say, Sheffield start to make some significant signings to improve there squad.

It's been the quietest off season I can remember in terms of player movement, there aren't even many rumours going around, looking at the forums.

I read in The Press, Kelly is unlikely to bring in anyone else before the start of the season.Therefore, I can't see how the outcome of the division will be much different to the season we have just had. 

Do you think differently?

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

It is good to know that you have no worries yourself about this trapdoor Ernie, this being something for the lesser lights to concern themselves with.

Yes I am confident we will not be involved in the battle against oblivion, with my real positive hat on we could be fighting for a top four place (especially if we sign that elusive half back) but realistically the middle 4 is the most likely.

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

1 hour ago, billybulldog said:

Wondered how long it would take for you to chelp up silverback, been way too long imo of course???

i rest my case....cut to the core........only you to have an opinion or even a voice,,,

bet you were bullied at school maybe...:hunter:

Going back to the subject of this, I think the main issue is what position does MD see Patch Walker playing next season.  If he sees him at 6 then fair enough Tom Hemingway can be backup, presumably on a pay as you play basis.  However if MD sees him at 13 (which I consider to be his best position) then that would appear to leave a half back pairing of Brambani with either Hemingway or Leak or someone else currently signed on.  None of these options fills me with hope that they would be able to make us competitive in this league.

1 hour ago, fredm said:

Going back to the subject of this, I think the main issue is what position does MD see Patch Walker playing next season.  If he sees him at 6 then fair enough Tom Hemingway can be backup, presumably on a pay as you play basis.  However if MD sees him at 13 (which I consider to be his best position) then that would appear to leave a half back pairing of Brambani with either Hemingway or Leak or someone else currently signed on.  None of these options fills me with hope that they would be able to make us competitive in this league.

Unless of course, we sign another halfback as well as Hemmingway.

Unlike our friends from across the valley, we are still looking for players before the start of next season, so we may still bring in another halfback.

17 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

To be fair, it felt like the division was split in two last season. The top 5 and then everyone else. The league standings also indicated this quite accurately too. 

Judging by the player movements so far within the division, I've not seen anything to suggest this season will be much different. 

The 4 full time teams should be better than the rest, then Featherstone, Halifax and us for 5th - 7th (probably in that order), Dewsbury and Swinton in 8th and 9th, then Sheffield, Barrow and Rochdale in the relegation battle.

Unless say, Sheffield start to make some significant signings to improve there squad.

It's been the quietest off season I can remember in terms of player movement, there aren't even many rumours going around, looking at the forums.

I read in The Press, Kelly is unlikely to bring in anyone else before the start of the season.Therefore, I can't see how the outcome of the division will be much different to the season we have just had. 

Do you think differently?

Nope, agree entirely.

Salary caps and player availability are both biting, hence the minimal movement reported so far. 

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

8 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Unless of course, we sign another halfback as well as Hemmingway.

Unlike our friends from across the valley, we are still looking for players before the start of next season, so we may still bring in another halfback.

I understand that Featherstone might have one going spare soon, if rumours are to be believed.

But the price has to be right, if Fev want some of the money they paid to sign him + then paying his present contract will be beyond a lot of budgets.

Is one of the reasons there is not as much movement that players have signed 2/3 year contracts and a lot of players seem to be extending their present contracts before becoming available. 

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

If thacks isn't wanted at Fev who knows.

Isaac Farrell looked impressive on loan from giants but he may be a shoe in if the fartowners go cheap as usual. I'd like faz and disco to do a bit of persuasion 

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

4 hours ago, billybulldog said:

Ha ha, never have been  bullied and definatly will never be bullied, especially from the likes of you??

its ok,yer going out on dr to barrow...we wont hear you then maybe cos yer boring me for one.:negative: stick to player bashing and give the fans a break,IMO.

14 hours ago, Dogstew said:

I just want some announcements from the club (not from Jowsbry pond-life) about signings.

Or that they are done with the squad for 2018.

So far so good - I’m in danger of being optimistic. A new coach would be a massive boost.

Probably waiting until after the World Cup before they dip their net in and pull out a winner.

• 2 months later...
On 20/10/2017 at 5:20 PM, silverback said:

lots of hummble pie going to be eaten once season kicks off again...IMO:clapping:

best get the custard out..i know he made a few mistakes but so did a few other players,only blowing the cobwebs away but tom took the game by the scruff and took the line on to score and get us back in the game and we kicked on from that move. plenty of biff to come from our beefed up squad for 2018:clapping:

Tom went from villain to hero today, and showed that he wanted to be involved and not frightened of taking on a fairly resolute Dewsbury defensive line. He has quite obviously been training on the muscle, and what he offers us on today's display is an impact player who can change the course of a game. Additionally, he gives us quality cover as a decent place kicker. I hope he continues to progress within our squad, and wish the lad all the best for the forthcoming campaign.

On 26/12/2017 at 9:50 PM, Bulldog Days said:

Tom went from villain to hero today, and showed that he wanted to be involved and not frightened of taking on a fairly resolute Dewsbury defensive line. He has quite obviously been training on the muscle, and what he offers us on today's display is an impact player who can change the course of a game. Additionally, he gives us quality cover as a decent place kicker. I hope he continues to progress within our squad, and wish the lad all the best for the forthcoming campaign.

I'll remember this post when your all moaning about him. 

He'll slip into old ways ;)

Eventually :)

Tom hemm the new George flannaghan perhaps

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

11 hours ago, 9' oller said:

Tom hemm the new George flannaghan perhaps

I think Tom 's plusses are.

Pace over short distance .Place kicking.Field kicking on larger pitches . Cover for several positions.Local lad.

Minuses. 

Consistency. Tackling in defence .

Used properly, and injury cover, he may prove to be a shrewd swap on the pitch for Cain , who did OK for us.

I'll take that. IMO of course.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

10 hours ago, colinb said:

I think Tom 's plusses are.

Pace over short distance .Place kicking.Field kicking on larger pitches . Cover for several positions.Local lad.

Minuses. 

Consistency. Tackling in defence .

Used properly, and injury cover, he may prove to be a shrewd swap on the pitch for Cain , who did OK for us.

I'll take that. IMO of course.

I think coolies pluses are

Pace over short distance from the doorstep of greggs to the counter

Plaice kicker... But keeps falling in the aquarium

More accurate on larger surfaces, better on 16 inch pizza than 9 inch pizza

Can cover a multitude of positions but nothing above 69

Shaw cross lad

Minus 

Tackling salads

If used properly leftovers at the buffet will be a thing of the past

And could be a like for like swop for James Brown or Jason crookes in a pie eating competition ;)

IMO :)

Archived