2017 World Cup

Whitworth Yed

I know this is not an Oldham related thread but with the lack of discussion topics due to the end of the season, I thought I would see what my fellow Yeds thought about it.

Anyone looking forward to this?

I am in the sense that it will fill the current void of no Rugby League but with the squad that was selected and Wayne Bennetts admission that he would  take a loss in the first game, I am struggling to get excited about our chances.

Usual semi final defeat awaits I feel.

Either way I hope we get rid of Bennett after this, not been impressed with him so far and I am a traditionalist in thinking we should have an Englishman in charge of England (McDermott, Powell).

I'll watch it but won't go out of my way. I find it hard to get my head round I'm an aussie 99% of the time but I'll play for say Italy or I'm a new Zealand international but I'm playing for Tonga 

The rules should be if you are born in England you play for England etc etc

18 minutes ago, HomeOfTheTubularBandage said:

Its annoying. We're good enough to beat em, we almost always get within six points of NZ and AUS these days, but we always seems to make an individual error they can exploit.

I'll be watching.

Too right it's annoying,fingers and toes crossed we can go one better this time.

Eden's not good enough. I think he's a bang average speedster. I'd have scored 30 of his tries this year. Got owned every time he played in the NRL. Who would you drop for him? Hall - who scores a try a game at international level and has just won a GF and is far far better defensively and coming out if trouble.

Currie, I understand that selection. I get why folk are annoyed but he can be a game breaker. Brown is a strange choice though.

There will be some brilliant games and I can't wait.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, HomeOfTheTubularBandage said:

Eden's not good enough. I think he's a bang average speedster. I'd have scored 30 of his tries this year. Got owned every time he played in the NRL. Who would you drop for him? Hall - who scores a try a game at international level and has just won a GF and is far far better defensively and coming out if trouble.

Currie, I understand that selection. I get why folk are annoyed but he can be a game breaker. Brown is a strange choice though.

I get why Hall has the spot, proven at international level even if he's coming to the end of his career. It must be the team he thinks will compete the best rather than the seasons top performers? 

The pack is strong throughout, interesting that hill picked rather than Liam Watts. 

5 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

In regards to Greg Eden..it's not just about tryscoring...making meters is very important at test level...j-mac & Ryan hall rank 2nd & 4th in the most meters made in SL this season..Greg ranks 25th

Plus Bennett had him at the Broncos and he was rarely picked and dominated when he did play. I'm not Bennett's biggest fan but he knows Eden flatters to deceive.

On 18/10/2017 at 4:55 PM, clifford said:

I'll watch it but won't go out of my way. I find it hard to get my head round I'm an aussie 99% of the time but I'll play for say Italy or I'm a new Zealand international but I'm playing for Tonga 

The rules should be if you are born in England you play for England etc etc

mmmmm if thats the rule then there would only be 3 teams playing in this WORLD CUP , England Aussie and NZ .....some World Cup that would be :laugh:

from memory these teams in the last WC did ok in Bristol attracting crowds bigger than those in the Heartland games ........

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

Is there a world cup going on?

There hasn't been any coverage or promotion of the event anywhere in the media. I'd have thought Sky would have mentioned it in preference to marbles and American football.

Again a massive miss, blunder, I'll take my £thousands by Red Hall or is it B********r Hall.

11 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

Why would sky mention it? They don't have the rights!

Ps it's been all over sky sports news..

Why would sky mention the Rugby League World Cup, they don’t have the rights...

Oh wait a minute, it’s been all over Sky Sports news. 

If you’re going to jump all over someone’s post try and make it logical. 

Great opener this morning. We've got a chance I reckon.

They have no Thurston and an internationally inexperienced front row. We are a BIG team with some great mobility.

Widdop has been awesome down there this year. As have Whitehead and T Burgess. Last year the Aussies were saying Hodgson was one of the best players in the World. Jammer and Sam are always class. We've got a man of steel and a prop who made 4200 metres this year. Our wingers are hench as and score a try a game at international level. If we can stop Smith from dummy half, limit Cronk's time on last tackle and cut down individual errors I reckon we'll beat em.

It should be tight but we're as good as them. Graham snd Morgan have to be watched though, big men playmaking always worry me. 

Should Gale have started? It was rabbit in the headlights really. The pack did well and Roby when he came on showed his class. Jerry was fantastic all game. 

In a way I'm glad we lost last night, had we won the hype would have been hard to bear and would've set us up for a spanking later in the tournament 

Come on England 

The scoreline wasn't a reflection on the game, I was encouraged with the way we played.I really fancy us having another crack at them now.Once the team has  gelled more we'll stand more of a chance. Roby was immense. They pood themselves when Jermaine Mcgilvery got going.Looking forward to the rest of the tournament on freesport.

Archived