Club Logo

Dave Naylor

2 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

20142641035owlcrest.jpg

That sort of thing is fairly easy to create.  There are plenty of Owl graphics knocking around that could be used for the basis of a unique logo.

Do we all associate with Owls though?  I suppose we have to in the absence of anything else! 

The obvious problem with an Owl is that Latics already use it, but then Latics use it because the Owl is a traditional symbol of the town, not just the football club (the coat of arms we use at the moment has a fair number of owls on it).

We can have a bird of prey that isn't an owl if we dont want to echo Latics.

In the borough we have Kestrels, Peregrines, Buzzards and Sparrowhawks as well as the owl with which the town has long been associated.

Hunslet seem to gave dropped Hawks. So there's currently only Sheffield who have a raptor of any kind. 

We could go with Falcons or Raptors.

Or just stick with Oldham but use a stylised town skyline with the hills behind it (perhaps with a set of posts in the hills)

Yeah, its a nice crest that. Looks traditional without being too old fashioned. 

We don't have many dreaming spires. Lol. But there's the civic centre tower and the parish church, couple of mill chimneys and the tiwn hall. A big hill in the background. Posts in the middle.

On a Shield. Red and white. Visually a bit busy, but nice.

You gonna knock one up Dave?

2 minutes ago, HomeOfTheTubularBandage said:

You gonna knock one up Dave?

I'll put it on the to-do list.  

I used to fly kites up at Castle Hill in Huddersfield and we had a bit of a club going.  It was dead easy to create a logo, the tower on the hill with a couple of kites flying above it. 

Like you say we just need a few silhouettes of recognisable buildings/hills.   

7 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

I'll put it on the to-do list.  

I used to fly kites up at Castle Hill in Huddersfield and we had a bit of a club going.  It was dead easy to create a logo, the tower on the hill with a couple of kites flying above it. 

Like you say we just need a few silhouettes of recognisable buildings/hills.   

Glorious up there. There was a kite boarder there last time I walked up. Flying about the place on a wheely plank. Loads of them paraglidists near March Haig and off Pule Hill an all.

Nice as all these ideas are it's not going to happen, leave the badge alone ffs and market the club properly,that's what's needed not pie in the sky rebranding. Oldham Peregrine's? Oldham Falcons? Oldham Griffin's? No one cares, it will always be Oldham RLFC nickname "Roughyeds" to the majority of fans. All this rebrand/badge stuff just shows the lack of ambition and marketing nouse of CH. It doesn't need a rebrand, it needs the name of Oldham RLFC being actively advertised/marketed to the masses. Unfortunately those masses are the ones who care about the club no other people know because he can't be arsed doing anything about expanding his brand (which he is a custodian of)We can sell the club on what we have, a damn caricature won't help to convince kids/stayaways/families to come to watch ORLFC. Get Hamilton to get a marketing/advertising person in to do what they do and let's see what happens. Better still maybe the big chief could stop upsetting kit suppliers/fans/sponsors and actually realise that without those people and us loyal fans he has nothing. We have a fantastic set of players/coaches and fans , that's the reason I love this club.I love this club because I wear my town crest on my shirt,I'm proud to be from Oldham, not a eagle,owl,peregrine or Griffin,just my towns proud coat of arms.

If there was a rebrand,fine, but I will wear my town crest with pride above any contrived cartoon character anyday.

6 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

Nice as all these ideas are it's not going to happen, leave the badge alone ffs and market the club properly,that's what's needed not pie in the sky rebranding. Oldham Peregrine's? Oldham Falcons? Oldham Griffin's? No one cares, it will always be Oldham RLFC nickname "Roughyeds" to the majority of fans. All this rebrand/badge stuff just shows the lack of ambition and marketing nouse of CH. It doesn't need a rebrand, it needs the name of Oldham RLFC being actively advertised/marketed to the masses. Unfortunately those masses are the ones who care about the club no other people know because he can't be arsed doing anything about expanding his brand (which he is a custodian of)We can sell the club on what we have, a damn caricature won't help to convince kids/stayaways/families to come to watch ORLFC. Get Hamilton to get a marketing/advertising person in to do what they do and let's see what happens. Better still maybe the big chief could stop upsetting kit suppliers/fans/sponsors and actually realise that without those people and us loyal fans he has nothing. We have a fantastic set of players/coaches and fans , that's the reason I love this club.I love this club because I wear my town crest on my shirt,I'm proud to be from Oldham, not a eagle,owl,peregrine or Griffin,just my towns proud coat of arms.

If there was a rebrand,fine, but I will wear my town crest with pride above any contrived cartoon character anyday.

'Roughyeds' is a barrier to attracting new fans. It means something only to existing fans. It's a backward looking, made up word with no resonance for young people, businesses or non RL fans in Oldham. Shout it on the terraces but don't name the social media accounts with it and use it for marketing. First rule of marketing - if you have to explain it...it's sh#t.

If you don't think the club needs rebranding then you don't know what branding is. It's not about a badge. It's about everything you say and do and everything others say about you. It's creating and communicating a personality/approach and the opportunities for engagement and income associated with it. Much wider than single visual identifier. You can't market a bad brand, which is what ORLFC currently are.

If I did a brand personality assessment of the club I know I'd get results that said:

tired, old fashioned, unreliable, poor, irrelevant, small, distant, insular, desperate, aggressive, unstable, dependent, slow, insecure.

THAT IS THE CURRENT BRAND! Of the club and of some of its fans.

Still wondering why young people and modern businesses don't want to associate themselves with it?

But a new brand with a vibrant, relevant, relatable and easily shared visual identity.....

You may be proud of Oldham but young people are not and they have no affinity for town crests. They want influence and instant comms. They want cultural icons and pursuits that reflect their experience.

It is proven that families and new fans ARE attracted by relatable characters (istics) and associated merchandise (which also raises money). Who's gonna buy a cuddly town crest or giant town crest car sticker?

You are self contradictory. You want the club marketed but want to change nothing to do that - not give anyone the tools to do it.

Sport is competitive on the field and off. But 'Roughyeds' can't compete on the field or off. Cos with the 1950s name, 1970s branding/visuals and business approach.... and with fans resistant to change , the club is hamstrung. Brought a knife to a gunfight.

The most dangerous words in the world...... 'We've always done it this way.' Or, 'We don't need to change'.

Evolve or die.

Carry on and when the current fans have had enough or die, so will the club.

Also...the irony of such indignance about the town crest when half the current club's life has spent out of town.

Some good posts on this, changing the nickname hasn't hurt Leeds, loiners to rhino's, or Bradford.

The roughyeds is a nod to the past, but ch keeps saying Oldham rlfc has no nickname so why is it on social media 

The club needs to engage with the public remind people of the town there is still a pro club because sooner or later they will be no fans who care left or can be bothered 

Next season I think we will be down to the bear bones of away support save for Bradford 

Archived