Dave woods

As the RFL representative for the BBC should the BBC website be flooded with info and pictures of the boys in Australia? What an opportunity to show the players training on beaches, player profiles , venues etc etc etc etc

as far as I can see there is nothing there, what a waste of a huge marketing opportunity, there at least should be an official RL publicity team taking photos and videos and passing them on to the BBC; we need to inspire the next generations and think bigger FFS it does not take much does it??

5 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Is this under Dave Woods brief?

Arguing with yourself?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Sky Sports' website has quite a few articles on England and the build up from PA sport, so there is stuff for the BBC there. 

Dave Woods doesn't work for the RFL, he works for the BBC iirc. As a partner you would expect them to have plenty of stuff on their site for a sport they will be covering live.

I hope they are perhaps just a bit behind in sending their reps over yet, but the BBC coverage of the World Cup on their main RL page is absolutely appalling.

1 minute ago, iangidds said:

Is that not Dave's job to help get things on there? Surely there is a mass of great stuff that will inspire us and the kids to tune in?

I don't think that's his primary concern, hes a presenter/commentator first and foremost

Did anyone listen to Dave's RL podcast on Monday? It was excellent and covered the new book about the ten greatest RLWC games.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Dave Woods is sports commentator who is employed by the BBC to commentate on matches. That's what he's there for. Anything else he happens to do (for example the podcast) should be viewed as a (welcome) bonus.

I don't see anyone lining up to criticise John Motson because he doesn't 'flood' the BBC homepage with stories and pictures

4 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Would it hurt Woods to look after the hand that feeds him though?

For example, by recording an excellent podcast on the RLWC and putting it on the BBC RL site?

40 minutes ago, nkpom said:

Not quite. Dave is the first BBC Rugby League Corespondent and so not merely a commentator. He's doing a good job at both too I think.

That's right Woods has a far greater role at the BBC than just a commentator; he was given a far bigger role.

i am a fan of Dave's but keeping a webpage up to date and vibrant does not seem that difficult?

I don't have any real view on this other than as far as I am aware Dave is a commentator and journalist and doubt it is his sole responsibility for all the RL content on the BBC website. I would say as well that while the BBC RL section could improve its still much better than other news outlets. 

Also seems like a good time to do another plug of the Bear Necessities interview with Dave Woods. It's a really interesting listen. Give it a go ;)

New show! We meet @DaveWoodsSport

Apple https://t.co/fY7QSzdyPp

Direct https://t.co/4qMnk1u0C9

YouTube https://t.co/T7p7jL8WWj

10 minutes ago, iangidds said:

That's right Woods has a far greater role at the BBC than just a commentator; he was given a far bigger role.

i am a fan of Dave's but keeping a webpage up to date and vibrant does not seem that difficult?

I think its a bit unfair singling him out as being responsible, when he does plenty to promote the game

To suggest Dave Woods is responsible alone for keeping the BBC Sport RL website up to date is just a tad naive.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I am talking about our greatest spectacle not snooker ,ceefax etc

every other main sport would be promoting their respective World Cups like crazy... ours I am afraid is just the very bare minimum.

Maybe not Dave's fault I know but who is answerable?

4 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Ok but he his head of RL at the BBC? So he should be influential surely

Have you ever watched W1A? It's a comedy, but pretty much everyone I've met who have ever worked with the beeb have said it's a documentary. Watch that and you'll understand it's a bit more complicated than Dave Woods clicking "post" on a website.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

2 minutes ago, Amber Avenger said:

Have you ever watched W1A? It's a comedy, but pretty much everyone I've met who have ever worked with the beeb have said it's a documentary. Watch that and you'll understand it's a bit more complicated than Dave Woods clicking "post" on a website.

Ok but surely promoting an upcoming World Cup is feasible?

23 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Ok but surely promoting an upcoming World Cup is feasible?

Make the criticism just of the BBC as a whole and you will have a point. Focusing on Dave Woods is wrong. His role is RL Correspondent btw.

57 minutes ago, Amber Avenger said:

To suggest Dave Woods is responsible alone for keeping the BBC Sport RL website up to date is just a tad naive.

Wrong. It is not a tad naive, it is completely nuts.

The BBC website has:

1 - Scotland to give new caps a chance (39mins ago)

2 - Kear on World Cup absentees (1d ago)

3 - Podcast: history of RLWC (2d ago)

4 - Features section - BBC Coverage of WC

5 - Wales World Cup - Chester Butler Feature

6 - Feature - RLWC Squads

So there is some content, but it is lost in the amount of regular news (a good thing I suppose) - but it hardly comes across as a website of a RLWC partner, and I can't find anything on England.

Sky Sports has:

1 - Bennett would accept Australia loss

2 - Roby rewarded for club form

3 - "Papua New Guinea doesn't scare me"

4 - Gale eyes Kangaroos scalp

5 - Betts defends squad balance

6 - Farah to lead Lebanon

7 - 7 new faces for Scotland

8 - Video: Ward forced to turn down England

Daily Star: 9 stories on RL home page

Daily Mail: no link to RL - but 5 RLWC stories when you do stumble across it

Telegraph: nothing for 9 days.1 RLWC story from 2 weeks ago.

SportingLife: 5 stories over the last week

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

The BBC website has:

So there is some content, but it is lost in the amount of regular news (a good thing I suppose) - but it hardly comes across as a website of a RLWC partner, and I can't find anything on England.

Sky Sports has:

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

The BBC website has:

Sky Sports has:

If 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

The BBC website has:

Sky Sports has:

If what is on the BBC website satisfys you so be it , I personally find it underwhelming; and for the record I am a fan of Dave Woods I was asking wether his extended job title should influence the website ! If not who is it?

as a game we settle for pathetic drivel when if the game and its stakeholders put some effort in we could have something worthwhile .

Archived