crowd for opener

plenty of aussies moaning (on a forum down under) about ticket prices (140 dollars) for the opening game, will be a shame if the ground at Melbourne is not sold out for this reason when they could sell cheaper tickets and make extra from the merchandise, estimating 20,000ish crowd at the min which would look poor on tv

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Putting a big international game in Melbourne is bad enough but then charging people who still don't really know what there watching $140 is just making sure its poorly attended. Should have been in Brisbane or the ACT.

Someone was saying they have sold about 16k so far. If true, dismal.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

6 hours ago, RayCee said:

So is there just one ticket price? Is that the lowest, average, great seat price? Without more info....

Obviously not one ticket price Ray if al has paid less than half the $140 ones. I believe $140 is the top price other than hospitality. If we can't sell this out it will be a poor show from an allegedly sports mad city that can somehow manage to sell 80,000+ tickets for a match involving two states, neither of which contains Melbourne.

rldfsignature.jpg

6 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Someone was saying they have sold about 16k so far. If true, dismal.

Yup. The good news about 2013 crowds was starting to materialise at this stage that year. Although we were concerned about the opener.

And to think we were disappointed with over 40k.

This is one of the few games where we have a like for like comparison with 2008. We got 36k for that, which was a long way from full. I had my first and last 4 and 20 "pie" there. I can't recall what I spent on tickets but it wasn't very much at all. 

I can't be bothered getting worked up about attendances for this World Cup as it has been designed for the spread of games and to get most money. Even 20 odd k will look good enough to the casual viewer in that size stadium. If we get 20 k paying 100 AUSD rather than 40 k paying 10 AUSD then it will be job done in terms of development cash.

Of course even 20 odd is a big crowd for the north, but here in the international heartland consider anything below 35 k to be disappointing. :) 

The ticket prices are absurd. Like it or not, there isn't a great deal of interest in the Kangaroos, or internationals in general, in Australia. And as much as I wish that wasn't the case, it is understandable. A few hiccups aside, we've absolutely dominated for 40 years or more. We win most games by 30. Most league fans here roll their eyes at test football. Origin is the elite game here. And until England and NZ start consistently performing at the elite level and beating us regularly, that won't change. 

Youcan't charge $85-$140 for a game and expect it to sell out. I live in Melbourne and am a keen supporter of the international game (which puts me in the minority in Australia), but even I still think that's a ripoff for what in all probability will be a 30 point Australia win against opponents that can't keep up. What chance do these prices give me of convincing friends to come?? 

Evenleague fans I know (scarce in Melbourne!) laugh at the suggestion. I will probably still go, but I'll be alone. I genuinely hope I'm wrong and it's an England win in front of 30,000 fans, because I'm terrified of what 10,000 empty seats and another limp England effort will do for the popular opinion of the tournament. 

1 hour ago, RS said:

One quick look shows there are tickets for sale for adults at 45 dollars and a further upgrade is 85 dollars. £25 for a World Cup ticket jeepers what do people want.

Looks like you were right - they've made some of the tickets $45. I've immediately been able to talk a few people who scoffed at $85 into coming. 

1 hour ago, ghost crayfish said:

The ticket prices are absurd. Like it or not, there isn't a great deal of interest in the Kangaroos, or internationals in general, in Australia. And as much as I wish that wasn't the case, it is understandable. A few hiccups aside, we've absolutely dominated for 40 years or more. We win most games by 30. Most league fans here roll their eyes at test football. Origin is the elite game here. And until England and NZ start consistently performing at the elite level and beating us regularly, that won't change. 

Youcan't charge $85-$140 for a game and expect it to sell out. I live in Melbourne and am a keen supporter of the international game (which puts me in the minority in Australia), but even I still think that's a ripoff for what in all probability will be a 30 point Australia win against opponents that can't keep up. What chance do these prices give me of convincing friends to come?? 

Evenleague fans I know (scarce in Melbourne!) laugh at the suggestion. I will probably still go, but I'll be alone. I genuinely hope I'm wrong and it's an England win in front of 30,000 fans, because I'm terrified of what 10,000 empty seats and another limp England effort will do for the popular opinion of the tournament. 

I'll take 28 points start.

rldfsignature.jpg

2 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

Why do those same Melbourne fans turn out for a game between two states neither of which is Victoria?

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived