• Papua New Guinea by 7 to 12 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Wales by 1 to 6 points
    • Wales by 7 to 12 points
    • Wales by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

53 minutes ago, Colly said:

For those who complain when SL clubs sign Queensland Cup players, now you can see how high the standard is. 

PNG played well but let's be honest they didn't gave much to beat . Wales tried hard but there was little class on show from them.

The standard may be high but its still probably no higher than the Championship. That was a PNG team including some NRL and Super League players and players from the best Queensland Cup team against a Wales team missing most of its better Super League players and consisting of players from the lower teams in the Championship and Championship 1. Also home advantage in high heat and humidity must have been a big advantage to PNG.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

John Kear very scathing of the team in his post match comments.

may explain why Matt Seamark was withdrawn so early - never seen the fuss over him, especially behind a beaten pack

Seamark is a competent scrum half. The problem is he can’t defend and his size makes him easy to dominate as PNG did. Thought the other half Davies went ok, first time I’ve seen him

14 hours ago, damp squib said:

Of course it's higher than the championship!

It’s difficult to say really because the gulf in the Championship between top and bottom is quite high now. You have Leigh and Toronto who are signing established NRL players so they are clearly better than Queensland cup teams. The likes of Rochdale and Swinton wouldn’t be though 

On 10/28/2017 at 7:12 AM, DoubleD said:

Is Premier Sports always this Australian bias? Only turned it on yesterday......

Channel 7 are the broadcasters - Aussie bias, go figure!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

15 hours ago, Damien said:

In your opinion, in mine it is not. 

Very few Championship sides can play with that kind of intensity. Having said that, PNG were certainly helped by the conditions - a wet Sunday in Barrow might be a leveller.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

26 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Very few Championship sides can play with that kind of intensity. Having said that, PNG were certainly helped by the conditions - a wet Sunday in Barrow might be a leveller.

Well PNG hunters are the best team in the Queensland cup, and this was an upgrade on their team. Hence I expect most Queensland cup teams would struggle as well. 

PNG probably also benefit from continuity.

47 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

They wouldn't have to as Wales were playing PNG, not the PNG Hunters. In the entire PNG squad less than half of the 23, 10 in fact, are from the Hunters and their best players are NRL players. Even Lo who the commentators were raving about is a Championship player, albeit signed for Cas for next season. 

I'd also argue that the better Championship sides would have performed a lot better than Wales too. 

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Seamark is a competent scrum half. The problem is he can’t defend and his size makes him easy to dominate as PNG did. Thought the other half Davies went ok, first time I’ve seen him

Courtney is a good player (and can get better), he's know without a club after the All Golds collapse. He can step up to championship level me thinks. He's also got union clubs sniffing around him

27 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Courtney is a good player (and can get better), he's know without a club after the All Golds collapse. He can step up to championship level me thinks. He's also got union clubs sniffing around him

Hope he stays in the game!

34 minutes ago, RICHARD OLLETT said:

Why is the attendance recorded at 14800, when the game was an alleged sell out with a stadium capacity of 17000??

It was sold out. Ten minutes in and every spot appeared to be taken.

I’ve lived in a developing country and inconsistencies are everywhere.

I also suspect there were a few extra squeezed in by officials, stadium staff, those at the gate etc.

Archived