Do we have a chance?

Australia and New Zealand play each other regularly including the NRL 9s. They are fairly evenly matched.

England have only played France since the last World Cup. We generally bash them up.

The other nations are very much unknowns as only the four I've mentioned participated in 2013.

It will be a tough ask to win it but our players are passionate and we have a lot of athletic talent. How well we adapt to southern hemisphere style of play and officiating will determine our success. I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed for the team!

The Jillaroos seem to have gained the edge over the Ferns in the last couple of years, with their better structure and discipline countering the New Zealanders' power and pace. Their regular matches at 13 and 9 a side will have been good for them.

It has been a while since I saw our team face either, so it is hard to say how we'll do, but the women's game down under does look to be ahead when it comes to development.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Having a semi-pro comp down here this year should have helped a lot of the girls reach higher fitness levels and given the chance for some development of combinations. The halves played on opposing sides in the recent GF so they should be match-fit and there was a Jillaroos team went to PNG around the same time so that would have given all the other squad members a good full-contact hit-out. Looking at the squad, they are nearly all WC debutantes but they've all played against the Kiwis and in the SOO and/or Residents interstate games.

2017 Harvey Norman Jillaroos World Cup Squad (in alphabetical order)

Kezie Apps * – Helensburgh (NSW)
Chelsea Baker * – Wallabies Gladstone (QLD)
Heather Ballinger – Wests Panthers (QLD)
Annette Brander * – Beerwah Bulldogs (QLD)
Brittany Breayley * – Brothers Ipswich (QLD)
Sam Bremner – Helensburgh (NSW)
Ali Brigginshaw – Brothers Ipswich (QLD)
Karina Brown – Easts Tigers (QLD)
Nakia Davis-Welsh * – Redfern All Blacks (NSW)
Vanessa Foliaki * – Easts Tigers (NSW)
Steph Hancock – Easts Tigers (QLD)
Isabelle Kelly * – North Newcastle (NSW)
Renae Kunst – Wests Panthers (QLD)
Corban McGregor * – Cronulla-Caringbah (NSW)
Caitlin Moran * – North Newcastle (NSW)
Lavina O’Mealey * – Redfern All Blacks (NSW)
Talesha Quinn * – Cronulla-Caringbah (NSW)
Ruan Sims – Cronulla-Caringbah (NSW)
Maddie Studdon * – Redfern All Blacks (NSW)
Zahara Temara * – Burleigh Bears (QLD)
Simaima Taufa * – Mounties (NSW)
Elianna Walton – Greenacre (NSW)
Meg Ward * – Northern Territory (NT)
Rebecca Young * – North Newcastle (NSW)
* Denotes World Cup debutant

I think we'll see a very similar theme to the men's game: the OZ/NZ pathway system produces better players with more experience against tough opposition.

The PNG women have had 2 tough leadup games and they looked good the other night against a very tough Nth Qld Invitation team. This is their squad:

Full Squad:

Elvina Aaron, Helen Abau, Delailah Ahose, Della Audama, Akosita Baru, Christie Bulhage, Brenda Goro, Carol Humeu, Shirley Joe, Martha Karl, Gloria Kaupa, Naomi Kaupa, Amelia Kuk, Joan Kuman, Grace Mark, Mala Mark, Janet Michael, Cathy Neap (C), Anne Oiufa, Vaness Palme, Fay Sogave, Jazmyn Taumafai, Vero Waula, Maima Wei.

For those who like to whine about national eligibility, Amelia Kuk who is in the Orchids squad, played for the Jillaroos against PNG less than a month ago. (mmm..... maybe I shouldn't have put that in there...) She has also played for Qld.

http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2016/12/05/rapid_rise_for_ameli.html

As the women's inaugural superleague grand final in Manchester was my first women's game I have attended I haven't a clue how we'll do.As long as the girls give it their best,that's all you can ask of anyone. They should savour this opportunity to play for their country and enjoy the occasion.Good luck to our girls.

I have watched most of the Jilly's v Ferns matches and the standard is top notch. I can't really see anyone else in the final but them. I would be shocked if anyone other team actually got close to them.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

We might have talented players but we seem to be years behind the Aussies in terms of professionalism.  Much like the mens game!  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived