What's the plan with Leeds' stadium next season?

Scubby

5 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Should be doing that anyway and be selling it now.

accepting a guaranteed lowest attendance in decades instead of the using it as an opportunity to attract a new audience shows a huge lack of ambition. But seems fairly representative of what we have at the top of Super League right now.

lack of ambition ? new audience ? Leeds fanbase is all over the City it even includes many from Leeds United.

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will put my money on The Sleeve on what is the best bet. There wont be a new audience playing at ER .The Leeds United fans who also support Leeds RL will turn up , Hunslet fans wont neither will Cas , Wakey fans etc , .They also have a large percentage of long distance out of towners who wont do 400 mile round trips .

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

I do worry that a lot of fans might get out of the habit of going to games especially families and children. Also the experience will be awful. Who wants to pay to stand in a construction site/half finished stand or on a temporary stand also in a construction site and what kind of facilities will it have.

Hopefully the new stands may attract the fans back, but it is a dangerous game to play if we have a couple average seasons.

20 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I will put my money on The Sleeve on what is the best bet. There wont be a new audience playing at ER .The Leeds United fans who also support Leeds RL will turn up , Hunslet fans wont neither will Cas , Wakey fans etc , .They also have a large percentage of long distance out of towners who wont do 400 mile round trips .

More fans from South of the river may go to games who might have thought it a bit of a trek to North Leeds on a Friday night.

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

well you did win a cupfinal at ER once and it was a good game too

:good:

Good shout....and it was only 35 years ago.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Personally, I'd prefer us to highlight 5 or 6 big home fixtures to take to Elland road out of 11.  Off the top of my head these would be Wigan, Saints, Cas, Hull and either Wire, KR or Wakey. This precludes that Headingley will be near enough full for the other 6 games based on previous fixtures and that these 5 games would benefit from a bigger profile and stadia.

I'm confident whatever they go with will be most financially viable.

There is a frankly odd assumption that moving to Elland Road would not deter existing fans from going. For the big games maybe but I'd definitely pick and choose games if we were there for a year and I know I'm not alone. Half empty it would be a depressing place to be.

To be honest, the economics of hiring Elland Road would not be great compared to losing a couple of thousand of the average at Headingley where the corporate income and experience is largely preserved.

The temporary North Stand will be interesting (blue is existing stand, grey the new stand and red the temp stand) -

temp_n_stand.jpg

FWIW here's the official video which shows the South Stand as it will be in the Perfectopia that the designers live in. You can see how wedged in the site is by St Michael's Lane at the eastern end.

(The new North Stand is a scandalous sham which we won't dwell on.)

5 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

We have 700k people in Leeds. 15k average st headingley. There is plenty to go at

and ER is only about 4 miles from Headingley its not exactly an expansion move .

JAMIE PEACOCK

4 hours ago, M j M said:

FWIW here's the official video which shows the South Stand as it will be in the Perfectopia that the designers live in. You can see how wedged in the site is by St Michael's Lane at the eastern end.

(The new North Stand is a scandalous sham which we won't dwell on.)

yes I think YCC have got the best of the deal regarding the north stand

JAMIE PEACOCK

17 hours ago, Scubby said:

I see they are now demolishing the main stand that must have taken 13-14k out of the capacity. What are Leeds plans next season? Are they really going to play in front of 8-9k just in order to stay there? The season kicks off in like 14/15 weeks?

Not that it won't be fantastic when it is built however.

It's going to mess up my stats, that's what it's going to do. 

Seriously, it means that SL attendances will be down on average seeing as the team with the highest attendances will be lower by some margin. Small term pain for hopefully long term gain. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

8 hours ago, UxbridgeBunny said:

Must say im very underwhelmed by this redevelopment. For me Leeds should have been showing ambition to become the biggest rugby side in the country of either code. Leicester on the dark side  average about 21k which leeds should have been aiming for

I have to agree there, Welford Road has been developed in stages over the past decade and has to deal with many similar problems that Headingley has such as being constricted by its surroundings. I did think it was a major shame that capacity wasn't being increased to upwards of 24k.

Also, much has been made of moving seats from the North to the South stand and the effect on atmosphere etc. My main concern is who exactly they think are going to buy these seats? Since time in memoriam if you wanted to sit at Headingley you'd go in the North Stand, with the Carnegie stand only recently being added as an option to that. I don't see many of the current North standers or tier 2 Carnegie standers wanting to move over - maybe they'll move the allocation for halftime juniors over there? That leaves us with the Southstanders and us in the Carnegie terrace. Depending on ticket price therefore, the seating may become similar to a Kop in an all-seater football ground with people still standing in the space for their seats. Ultimately that begs the question why bother with the seats at all?

Given that the capacity of the north stand is coming down by around 2,000 the only way to keep the total number of seats up is to put these seats in the south and for some existing north standers to move over. Given how unsatisfactory and exposed the small new north stand looks I'm thinking about it myself.

The club's official argument also has some validity which is that older south standers or south standers with kids won't have to move stands now if they want or need to sit. I imagine they will prove quite popular.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I have to agree there, Welford Road has been developed in stages over the past decade and has to deal with many similar problems that Headingley has such as being constricted by its surroundings. I did think it was a major shame that capacity wasn't being increased to upwards of 24k.

Also, much has been made of moving seats from the North to the South stand and the effect on atmosphere etc. My main concern is who exactly they think are going to buy these seats? Since time in memoriam if you wanted to sit at Headingley you'd go in the North Stand, with the Carnegie stand only recently being added as an option to that. I don't see many of the current North standers or tier 2 Carnegie standers wanting to move over - maybe they'll move the allocation for halftime juniors over there? That leaves us with the Southstanders and us in the Carnegie terrace. Depending on ticket price therefore, the seating may become similar to a Kop in an all-seater football ground with people still standing in the space for their seats. Ultimately that begs the question why bother with the seats at all?

You can charge more money for the seated area.

On 25/10/2017 at 12:15 PM, fieldofclothofgold said:

I have read that they are going to play a few games at ER 

If you get this lot in, you will definitely attract a new audience 

er.jpg

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

You can charge more money for the seated area.

Yes but that's precisely it, wouldn't those people want to do what they do now and just sit in the North Stand? Why would they pay to sit in the South Stand unless it was cheaper than the North? A price difference that would make no sense as presumably both stands are being built to the same spec with the same legroom facilities etc. The price difference between North and South Stands before wasn't all that much so unless its going to cost a lot more to sit down I'm still a bit sceptical. 

Personally I think this is aimed at making Headingley better able to bid to stage Internationals and semi finals as a neutral venue. 

11 hours ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Has anyone mentioned why they aren't putting a roof over the western terrace while they are rebuilding the ground?:ph34r:

and we are not going to tell them why any more either

JAMIE PEACOCK

Archived