What's the plan with Leeds' stadium next season?

Scubby

9 minutes ago, southstand loiner said:

well try and reimagine it my friend as the vast majority of Leeds supporters are from north of the river . I'm certainly not thrilled to been going to south Leeds even for 2 games as its a fair trek at my age . if Leeds had said they were playing a full season there I'm afraid I would not have renewed my season ticket and I know plenty of others that think the same 

Same here - I can cope with the couple of games but the stadium is too big and the location south of the river is totally inappropriate for Leeds RL. A full season there and I'd have been picking and choosing games rather than keeping a season ticket.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Jesus, anyone would think that RL fans were all either infirm or wearing a tag. I know we have a reputation for being a local game for local people but this is insane. Its ten minutes. 1 train stop, about a fiver in a taxi, its a leisurely stroll and less than 2miles from a city where 500k people work.

The fuss over the stadium at Salford shows that unfortunately Rugby fans are, shall we say, creatures of habit 

11 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Jesus, anyone would think that RL fans were all either infirm or wearing a tag. I know we have a reputation for being a local game for local people but this is insane. Its ten minutes. 1 train stop, about a fiver in a taxi, its a leisurely stroll and less than 2miles from a city where 500k people work.

from the centre of town maybe but how many supporters live in the town centre 

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

11 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

You think that Leeds utd wouldn't agree a profit share on corporate hospitality? Of course they would, why would the Rhinos sell it if there was no money it for them.

a share of say £40k is still less than all of around £35k 

2 hours ago, southstand loiner said:

from the centre of town maybe but how many supporters live in the town centre 

Well my family live in Wakefield so its actually better! Plenty of fans live in East Leeds etc and go to ER for LUFC games - as they do from all over Leeds tbh. For fans coming from outside of Leeds its a minimal difference and is probably better for them and away support to be honest. Getting to Headingley can be a real ballache at times. As for South of the river, I think the rhinos do more posters etc there than at Headingley! Lots of banners around Costco and that area advertising membership and upcoming fixtures. The old distinction doesn't really exist anymore? 

And lets face it what are the alternatives? ER for a select few big games is by far and away the best option available to the club. If south of the river is far could you imagine sharing with Bradford or Huddersfield? Tottenham are 11 miles away from their home ground whilst its being rebuilt!

I used to live right behind the Skyrack last year and if I still did then I would consider this a minor inconvenience to my great idea to live near Headingley stadium so I could set off with 5 minutes to KO and still be there on time, but one that obviously made sense for 1 season. 

29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Well my family live in Wakefield so its actually better! Plenty of fans live in East Leeds etc and go to ER for LUFC games - as they do from all over Leeds tbh. For fans coming from outside of Leeds its a minimal difference and is probably better for them and away support to be honest. Getting to Headingley can be a real ballache at times. As for South of the river, I think the rhinos do more posters etc there than at Headingley! Lots of banners around Costco and that area advertising membership and upcoming fixtures. The old distinction doesn't really exist anymore? 

And lets face it what are the alternatives? ER for a select few big games is by far and away the best option available to the club. If south of the river is far could you imagine sharing with Bradford or Huddersfield? Tottenham are 11 miles away from their home ground whilst its being rebuilt!

I used to live right behind the Skyrack last year and if I still did then I would consider this a minor inconvenience to my great idea to live near Headingley stadium so I could set off with 5 minutes to KO and still be there on time, but one that obviously made sense for 1 season. 

for me the reality is its about tradition and that counts far more than getting maybe another 500 in to watch the team and then giving a big wad of cash to Leeds united for the privilege.

by the way I live in east Leeds and find it a lot easier to get to headingley than elland road  at any time of the day for instance plenty of direct bus services from east Leeds to headinlgey but none to south Leeds  which on the way back can make the difference of getting home well before 11pm or after it if from elland road .

there will be 2 select big games at eland road v hull kr mostly as headingley will not be ready by then and against Castleford as we expect there fans will want to see the super league CHAMPIONS trophy paraded around the ground . hardly think any other games will attract bigger crowds of Leeds supporters

1 minute ago, southstand loiner said:

for me the reality is its about tradition and that counts far more than getting maybe another 500 in to watch the team and then giving a big wad of cash to Leeds united for the privilege.

by the way I live in east Leeds and find it a lot easier to get to headingley than elland road  at any time of the day for instance plenty of direct bus services from east Leeds to headinlgey but none to south Leeds  which on the way back can make the difference of getting home well before 11pm or after it if from elland road .

there will be 2 select big games at eland road v hull kr mostly as headingley will not be ready by then and against Castleford as we expect there fans will want to see the super league CHAMPIONS trophy paraded around the ground . hardly think any other games will attract bigger crowds of Leeds supporters

I think the top brass recognise that because Headingley, if open at all, will be at almost half capacity for most of the season. Saying there will only be 500 more at Elland road is a tad churlish - they're clearly aiming for crowds as big if not bigger than capacity at New Headingley which would suggest a minimum of 5k extra fans. The temporary capacity is significantly lower than our average attendances so I don't see why actively turning away punters is beneficial for the club? "Tradition" isn't worth the financial hit the club will be taking by not making as much money from next season only playing in a 12k stadium. Again I refer you to spurs playing at Wembley this year (and likely Chelsea soon), their fans aren't not going because its in "Arsenal Territory" - and Spurs Arsenal is more intense than Leeds Hunslet is right now. In fact they've actually increased attendances quite positively.

As for getting there, whilst there's buses that go there most evenings the roads around headingley heading out of town are saturated. And again ER is hardly impossible to get to for a few games is it? 

Most kids "south of the river" support Leeds, in fact, most adults probably do too. Hunslet haven't been counted as a major rival for decades and the club sadly is dwindling. If you asked most people nowadays what "area" (if such an arbitrary measure could be used) Leeds Rhinos represented, then they would say Leeds meaning the whole city. That is arguably new "tradition".

Also, its for 1 season what alternative do you suggest that is fiscally viable? 

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I think the top brass recognise that because Headingley, if open at all, will be at almost half capacity for most of the season. Saying there will only be 500 more at Elland road is a tad churlish - they're clearly aiming for crowds as big if not bigger than capacity at New Headingley which would suggest a minimum of 5k extra fans. The temporary capacity is significantly lower than our average attendances so I don't see why actively turning away punters is beneficial for the club? "Tradition" isn't worth the financial hit the club will be taking by not making as much money from next season only playing in a 12k stadium. Again I refer you to spurs playing at Wembley this year (and likely Chelsea soon), their fans aren't not going because its in "Arsenal Territory" - and Spurs Arsenal is more intense than Leeds Hunslet is right now. In fact they've actually increased attendances quite positively.

As for getting there, whilst there's buses that go there most evenings the roads around headingley heading out of town are saturated. And again ER is hardly impossible to get to for a few games is it? 

Most kids "south of the river" support Leeds, in fact, most adults probably do too. Hunslet haven't been counted as a major rival for decades and the club sadly is dwindling. If you asked most people nowadays what "area" (if such an arbitrary measure could be used) Leeds Rhinos represented, then they would say Leeds meaning the whole city. That is arguably new "tradition".

Also, its for 1 season what alternative do you suggest that is fiscally viable? 

fair enough if you think it will attract 5k extra fans but even that will not really make a difference as that will most likely cover the charges for rental of the stadium  so in fact 13k at headingley would produce when taking hospitality in to account more profit than 18k at eland road .

getting away from headinley to east Leeds  by bus is easy you go to the top of burley hill and catch the 49 or 50 both of which go to east Leeds or for different parts of east Leeds you change in town . its never taken me more than 15 mins on bus to get to town that way . now getting to town from eland road on a bus is a nightmare of epic proportions unless you climb the big hill to beeston which I used to do before the old knees got to bad .

I used to do a bit down at hunslet warriors so yes I know a lot of kids have rhinos tops but just go in the pubs in south Leeds and you will soon find a strong anti rhino sentiment not all because its a rl team but some for much worse reasons that are again becoming all to common .

as I said as regards fiscally viable a 18k crowd would hardly be equal to a 13k crowd at headingley when you factor in hospitality gains in money at headinley against costs at eland road and also costs for using elland road  all of which will have been gone into by Gary Hetherington at great length before the decision was made and nobody can tell me he does not know the value of just about everything rugby league certainly including how to get most money out of anything 

1 hour ago, southstand loiner said:

fair enough if you think it will attract 5k extra fans but even that will not really make a difference as that will most likely cover the charges for rental of the stadium  so in fact 13k at headingley would produce when taking hospitality in to account more profit than 18k at eland road .

getting away from headinley to east Leeds  by bus is easy you go to the top of burley hill and catch the 49 or 50 both of which go to east Leeds or for different parts of east Leeds you change in town . its never taken me more than 15 mins on bus to get to town that way . now getting to town from eland road on a bus is a nightmare of epic proportions unless you climb the big hill to beeston which I used to do before the old knees got to bad .

I used to do a bit down at hunslet warriors so yes I know a lot of kids have rhinos tops but just go in the pubs in south Leeds and you will soon find a strong anti rhino sentiment not all because its a rl team but some for much worse reasons that are again becoming all to common .

as I said as regards fiscally viable a 18k crowd would hardly be equal to a 13k crowd at headingley when you factor in hospitality gains in money at headinley against costs at eland road and also costs for using elland road  all of which will have been gone into by Gary Hetherington at great length before the decision was made and nobody can tell me he does not know the value of just about everything rugby league certainly including how to get most money out of anything 

51 & 52  stop right outside ER

The stadium on Saturday -

5a1c78d8c07a9_IMG_9854510_TN.jpg.214b95e3686e3726d655b8f370e1bb38.jpg

5a1c78d6ad08e_IMG_9857511_TN.jpg.007982126423eeb23cd40c68f4162e8e.jpg

5a1c78d9993a4_IMG_9820507_TN.jpg.f45123719fabef08f7a1682d30f40832.jpg

A few interesting things revealed during demolition - I guess this sign has been hidden since they redeveloped the Paddock into seating in 1991.

5a1c78d7cd531_IMG_9838509_TN.jpg.816509580c909d754dde7cf659852d0e.jpg

The white tiles bottom right belong to the North Stand's eastern gents loos which I never used in 30+ years of sitting in this stand...

5a1c78dac9ad6_IMG_9836508_TN.jpg.18613822df9d5e1ca6e30d91c1e9d7ef.jpg

... before the stand was fully demolished an old sign for these loos was also revealed (this taken on 4th November) -

5a1c78dbbd3fa_IMG_9535506_TN.jpg.f76b38fb4ce546ba114ae39bf8b1caf2.jpg

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:30 PM, Tommygilf said:

In the Granby's ? Was handy for Headingley, pity I supported Northern or probably the Bulls when I lived there

13 minutes ago, northernrob said:

In the Granby's ? Was handy for Headingley, pity I supported Northern or probably the Bulls when I lived there

Granby Grove indeed. It was great for rugby and cricket, and came with a car parking space for my dad too lol. I do like that Headingley is still in a suburban environment just for that walk up atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...

two games at ER and all the rest at Headingley at reduced capacity. I wonder if there are any other venues penciled in in case of a really bad winter that could delay things ?

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

On 24/11/2017 at 5:10 PM, southstand loiner said:

Tell me more about what happens in the pubs in South Leeds? 

Yes there are Hunslet fans, same as there are many Bradford fans in west Leeds and yes they give Rhinos stick but I know from living there vast majority are Rhinos fans. Reality is I think the Hunslet fans like to reminisce about the old days of the rivalry, no such thing actually exists these days. 

2 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Leeds say they want to break the SL record, then only open two stands of Elland Rd with about 17k ish seats available. Just gotta love RL haven't you.

Yeah that's just for Leeds fans - Hull KR have been allocated and have sold most of the South stand, which is around 5k+ 

Then the west is where all the community allocated seats will be which I'd expect to be at least 2k. All in all i'd expect an attendance in the region of 24k which even if that doesn't break a record it's certainly impressive.  

To all those suggesting it wont be ready on time - looking at this images, I would be surprised if (with no horrendous weather hopefully) construction carries on at this pace, some/most of that stand will be usable by late February

6 minutes ago, philipw said:

To all those suggesting it wont be ready on time - looking at this images, I would be surprised if (with no horrendous weather hopefully) construction carries on at this pace, some/most of that stand will be usable by late February

I'm not a contractor but I think there is a lot more work than just putting up the structure. No way it will be ready in two months in my lowly opinion.

Archived