Sexual abuse, misconduct allegations and the like (merged threads)

Wont be the last, and likely not to be only one party -

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Looks like we will have a slew of allegations after the Weinstein story.

So far today we have allegations against Steven Crabb (tory MP) and George Riley (BBC 5live).

Guessing there might be a few more on the way.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

8 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I thought he was one of the decent Tories as well, didn't like his political stances but he seemed like a decent sort.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Add Mark Garner (trade minister) to the list.

According to today's Observer, former President George Bush, is now in a wheelchair, which ideally places him for touching up young ladies with the line "my favourite magician is David Copa Feel"

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

The problem i have with allegations of this nature is that mud, most definitely sticks. It doesn't matter if you are innocent or not,  it smears your name and you would never really recover from it, especially in this age of twittermob justice. 

Names on all sides should be kept private until the evidence is conclusive. Guilty people, yes throw the book at them. Otherwise hang fire. 

Yup. I hate the term "No smoke without fire" as though that is all the permission needed for a barrage of such like the unsubstantiated allegations across social media.

There are people I would love to know the back story..... but naming them could cause permanent harm to them.... and myself!

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

The problem i have with allegations of this nature is that mud, most definitely sticks. It doesn't matter if you are innocent or not,  it smears your name and you would never really recover from it, especially in this age of twittermob justice. 

Names on all sides should be kept private until the evidence is conclusive. Guilty people, yes throw the book at them. Otherwise hang fire. 

I also hope it leads to men reporting women for degrading comments too, let's see proper equality on this matter.

If Harvey Wienstein hadn't been named, none of the other ladies would of come forward.  

I'm not sure there is a perfect balance for this? 

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

I also hope it leads to men reporting women for degrading comments too, let's see proper equality on this matter.

I get your point on this but, as mentioned by others, there has to be a balance.  My view is that if there's objectively clear evidence of it happening then it's fair game to publicise it, e.g. if there's text messages, photos or other fairly indisputable evidence, then go public but not just on one person's word against another. 

I'm also a great fan of the Scottish "not proven" verdict.  If someone's guilty then they're "guilty".  If someone's innocent then they're "not guilty".  If neither side has proven their case and there's clear doubt over innocence then "not proven".  That way anyone who is found not guilty is perfectly fair game to claim innocence.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

This is a difficult subject but.....

Some of these celebrities are huge names. They aren't vulnerable 18 year old secretaries getting perved at by a old lecherous boss. Why didn't one of them, even say, 5 years ago come forward and say something? Would someone like Gwyneth Paltrow *really* have been dismissed? I don't think they would have been. The answer is that they are more concerned about making yet more money than they already have than protecting other women. 

Most men aren't groping perverts waiting to jump on the nearest female but this is the message that is coming out now. And I for one am flipping fed up of it.

The casting couch was never a godo thing, and if society and that industry moves on so that it no longer happens, then that is a very good thing.

The expressions of shock seem rather disingenuous though, and do irritiate.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

7 hours ago, Bob8 said:

The expressions of shock seem rather disingenuous though, and do irritiate.

I'm more shocked that anyone didn't think this was going on.  The only 'surprise' was who was doing it, and even then it wasn't someone you'd say 'I didn't think he was the type'.

It is a story (in the USA anyway) with different elements though, would Fox (for example) of gone as hard on the story if the alleged perpetrator wasn't a major democrat supporter?  If was quickly turned into an attack on Hilliary and Obama.  So suddenly you had both 'sides' pushing the story hard.  The allegations against Trump for example, haven't garnered as much attention from some of the press.  

12 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I'm more shocked that anyone didn't think this was going on.  The only 'surprise' was who was doing it, and even then it wasn't someone you'd say 'I didn't think he was the type'.

It is a story (in the USA anyway) with different elements though, would Fox (for example) of gone as hard on the story if the alleged perpetrator wasn't a major democrat supporter?  If was quickly turned into an attack on Hilliary and Obama.  So suddenly you had both 'sides' pushing the story hard.  The allegations against Trump for example, haven't garnered as much attention from some of the press.  

It does reflect that things are less tolerated and that is a good thing.

Saying, or even believing "I used to think it was better to tolerate it, but since then have changed my mind", is hard for people to recognise. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

21 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

We already know it isn't. One Labour MP has already been suspended of course and the article in the Sun the other day which first referenced some MPs referred to two Labour and two Tory as well as a LibDem peer.  We may hear more about the additional two Labour MPs and the LibDem peer in due course.

I remember well the days of casual harassment at work having experienced it on more than one occasion during the 80s.  I will not have been alone.

4 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I remember well the days of casual harassment at work having experienced it on more than one occasion during the 80s.  I will not have been alone.

Like more or less every other ill in society it doesn't have any socio-economic boundaries and has continued because it's been treated as amusing and harmless.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Even I'd heard the rumours about Kevin Spacey.

I thought he was out already?  

(Not heard the allegations bit before now).

Just now, Bedford Roughyed said:

I thought he was out already?  

(Not heard the allegations bit before now).

I knew someone who knew someone at the Old Vic. Had a reputation.  I thought it was more widely understood but maybe not.

And I think he has outed himself from being bisexual but mostly gay to being gay.

And he could march down the street dressed as Danny la Rue, it doesn't change that he's accepted that forcing himself on fourteen year olds his something that he does.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

36 Tories on an internal list of sex pests.  Ranging from handsy to inappropriate to affairs with researcher.  

5 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

affairs with researcher.  

I hate to sound like a character from a 1970s sitcom but that just sounds like what happens in offices rather than anything more sinister.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I hate to sound like a character from a 1970s sitcom but that just sounds like what happens in offices rather than anything more sinister.

yAymVe5.png

19 hours ago, Johnoco said:

And if I got ostracized for it, then I'd find a better career.

Watch this from 4m30s and then say which industry you'd go to.

I can also add personal knowledge of sexual harassment including assault in the charity sector, the armed forces and a steel pressing plant ...

Archived