RLWC Quarter Finals line up and semis and final

Watching the Aussies I think the Kiwis will trouble them if they keep playing expansively. In the first half today NZ were outstanding and too hot to handle. The Aussies have basically ground out games for 3 weeks. This Australian side is not looking to force the play.  

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Watching the Aussies I think the Kiwis will trouble them if they keep playing expansively. In the first half today NZ were outstanding and too hot to handle. The Aussies have basically ground out games for 3 weeks. This Australian side is not looking to force the play.  

It’s the way they play under Meninga. They bored the living daylights out of me in Coventry last year but couldn’t kill the Kiwis off who nearly pinched it at the death.

34 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Could Aotearoa (NZ) v England final be possible?

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

It’s the way they play under Meninga. They bored the living daylights out of me in Coventry last year but couldn’t kill the Kiwis off who nearly pinched it at the death.

Agree. I actually like the way the Kiwis are playing with ball in hand despite the result today. They need to keep doing that and the Aussies could be in trouble.

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Agree. I actually like the way the Kiwis are playing with ball in hand despite the result today. They need to keep doing that and the Aussies could be in trouble.

That would frankly be amazing even though I still think unlikely; Child or Thaler will be the ref and likely keen to continue to blow Cameron Smith...

59 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

That would frankly be amazing even though I still think unlikely; Child or Thaler will be the ref and likely keen to continue to blow Cameron Smith...

Cecchin surely? The Aussies won't risk having a neutral ref.

15 minutes ago, Colly said:

New Zealand v Tonga II  anybody?

Wouldn't that be fun?

The highly efficient Aussie organisers would be gutted.

Actually by that point the Aussies will be all packed and on their way back to NRL Towers, so I would be surprised if they gave it a moment's thought. The NZ and PNG organisers can look back with pride at a job very well done indeed. 

I don't want to be accused of being too optimistic but the reality is that this morning has probably significantly increased our chances of making the final and even given us a more realistic route to winning. This is even with my rational head in!

Tonga were amazing today and facing them in Auckland makes the proposition harder but we are still more likely to beat them than NZ in NZ. They played almost the perfect game today and they might not play so well again if things start going against them. 

Today also creates the possibility of not meeting Aus in the final. Beating NZ is again much more likely than beating Aus.

We are still a long way away but there is a possible path to victory when 24 hours ago I didn't think there was.

5 minutes ago, IM2 said:

so what does the quarters look like now and who is likely to play who & where & should all sell out?

• Aus v Samoa Darwin (sell out)
  • Tonga v Lebanon (good crowd but may not sell out as majority of Tongans appear to be in Auckland)
  • Eng v PNG (May get 15k)
  • NZ v Fiji (poor sales so far but late rush may see 15-20k)

Hope I am wrong with the QF but I think both semis with be sold out.

29 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I don't want to be accused of being too optimistic but the reality is that this morning has probably significantly increased our chances of making the final and even given us a more realistic route to winning. This is even with my rational head in!

Tonga were amazing today and facing them in Auckland makes the proposition harder but we are still more likely to beat them than NZ in NZ. They played almost the perfect game today and they might not play so well again if things start going against them. 

Today also creates the possibility of not meeting Aus in the final. Beating NZ is again much more likely than beating Aus.

We are still a long way away but there is a possible path to victory when 24 hours ago I didn't think there was.

Yup. My thoights too

Think we have an outside chance of an upset in 3 games these quarter finals which shows to me the weakest teams are no weaker than past world cups, but the middle teams are a lot stronger.

NZ V Fiji - If everything clicks for Fiji they have every chance of an upset, they have a solid team with a few X-factor players.

England V PNG - Same as above, PNG have to be able to step it up which remains to be seen but they look as good as I have ever seen them.

Tonga V Lebanon - Lebanon would fancy their chances if Tonga get complacent after their big win, eyes may already be on an England semi final. Lebanon have looked solid if not spectacular.

Australia V Samoa - Virtually no chance of an upset here IMO, Samoa should keep it respectable.

I would like to think that Samoa will choose their strongest 17 and actually fire up for this one, on paper they will have a strong pack and a few decent backs although not enough to win but to give the Kangaroos an almighty scare.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

14 hours ago, Scubby said:

NZ have a great record v Australia in Brisbane. It would great if the Aussies didn't make the final. The media would have to sit up and take notice. 

The RLWC site & The Daily Telegraph RLWC special I have show first pool B (Tonga) play in Wellington but media reports have them in Christchurch & Kiwis in Wellington therefore it can still end up Aust v NZ final!? Organisers have appeared to change things?

http://www.nrl.com/rlwc2017-announces-quarter-finals-draw/tabid/10871/newsid/115248/default.aspx

4 hours ago, Heritage XIII said:

The RLWC site & The Daily Telegraph RLWC special I have show first pool B (Tonga) play in Wellington but media reports have them in Christchurch & Kiwis in Wellington therefore it can still end up Aust v NZ final!? Organisers have appeared to change things?

http://www.nrl.com/rlwc2017-announces-quarter-finals-draw/tabid/10871/newsid/115248/default.aspx

I think the qf venues have always been pencilled in for certain teams.

If all goes to rankings - the semis are to be A1 vs B2 and B1 vs A2.

They couldnt change that to A1 vs B1 or A1 vs A2 - that would just be corruption.

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think the qf venues have always been pencilled in for certain teams.

If all goes to rankings - the semis are to be A1 vs B2 and B1 vs A2.

They couldnt change that to A1 vs B1 or A1 vs A2 - that would just be corruption.

Yep it was confirmed in the week where England, Australia, NZ and Tonga would play QFs as they had all qualified.

If all goes to plan in terms of semi-finalists, I get the feeling we're in for another upset. Tonga will be hard team to beat in Auckland and I haven't seen anything promising from England to even suggest that they'll come out on top

11 minutes ago, Jace said:

If all goes to plan in terms of semi-finalists, I get the feeling we're in for another upset. Tonga will be hard team to beat in Auckland and I haven't seen anything promising from England to even suggest that they'll come out on top

Maybe. England get a lot of unnecessary stick IMO. Tonga have shown they are hot and cold too. As have NZ and Australia.

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Maybe. England get a lot of unnecessary stick IMO. Tonga have shown they are hot and cold too. As have NZ and Australia.

Yup. I think it is harsh to be too critical of England just yet. 

4 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

This, this and this. If these four sides make it to the SFs, the final could be any of the four.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yup. I think it is harsh to be too critical of England just yet. 

Up with the larks again fellas? Thought this was the last early one but looking next week Tonga at 3.30am (Sat) and England 4.30am (Sun) :sleep:

Archived