RL in Ireland / Heritage Players debate (previously PNG v Ireland match thread)

Who will win?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Papua New Guinea by 13 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 7 to 12 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Ireland by 1 to 6 points
    • Ireland by 7 to 12 points
    • Ireland by 13 points

This poll is closed to new votes

This thread began life as a thread to discuss the PNG v Ireland World Cup game, but drifted way off topic into a debate about the use of heritage players and the status of RL in Ireland in general.

Rather than delete the whole thing, I've renamed this thread and created a new match thread, so all bases are now covered.

If you want to argue about heritage players, do it here.

If you want to discuss the match, use the new match thread.

This probably just edges Samoa vs Tonga as the biggest game of the round due to only one team going through from this group. If you'd asked me a week ago I'd have not come close to suggesting Ireland could win this. However, after the display on Sunday in the heat of Cairns (which will probably be the most comparable to Port Moresby's conditions), I think the Irish will be quietly confident. For me if Ireland are going to win Liam Finn is going to be critical.

I think Ireland will just sneak this out by 2 points or maybe even a drop goal. They will be up against it but that Irish spirit will come through. The weather conditions play a key role in PNG's advantage but Ireland have experienced similar in Cairns already. 

Definitely looking forward to this one.

I enjoy watching PNG at home but this Irish team are a fair bit ahead of Wales and they are a very solid outfit full of quality SL players, I think it will be a close game.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Definitely looking forward to this one.

I enjoy watching PNG at home but this Irish team are a fair bit ahead of Wales and they are a very solid outfit full of quality SL players, I think it will be a close game.

The Irish pack are an entirely different proposition to Wales’. It’s full of SL experienced forwards (incl current and former GF winners). If they muscle up, it’ll be a very tough game for PNG (who I have tipped) but wouldn’t be surprised to see McIllorum et al sneaking a win.

I wondered if a draw might be on the cards? I hope PNG win, and think they will, but Ireland's controllled aggression could really rattle them. The choice of ref, and how he goes about his work will be key. An NRLer may fomd reasons to ping the Irish forwards. Simply can't wait.

3 hours ago, wackojacko said:

Potential to be a cracker this one. Think PNG will win but should be really competitive and ultra-physical.

Agree looking forward to this one. Should be a cracker. 

Ireland might edge this By 2 points. 

Hope I'm wrong. 

Bollux for the good of the game, tell that to the Irish who will have trained themselves to a standstill, have played in oppressive conditions in Cairns and will do so again in Port Moresby, have taken and will be taking all the bangs knocks and bruises that goes with test match rugby, as far as I am concerned charity begins at home, I can identify better with the players of Ireland and appreciate that all the odds are against them in this game.

C'mon the Wolfhounds.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

7 minutes ago, GaryO said:

Bollux for the good of the game, tell that to the Irish who will have trained themselves to a standstill, have played in oppressive conditions in Cairns and will do so again in Port Moresby, have taken and will be taking all the bangs knocks and bruises that goes with test match rugby, as far as I am concerned charity begins at home, I can identify better with the players of Ireland and appreciate that all the odds are against them in this game.

C'mon the Wolfhounds.

Your'e an aussie? ?

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

18 minutes ago, GaryO said:

C'mon the Wolfhounds.

But they aren’t Irish. The overwhelming majority of the png team are genuine papuans and RL is embedded throughout the country. For the good of the international game I’ll be rooting for the kumuls. The success story of the World Cup.

33 minutes ago, GaryO said:

C'mon the Wolfhounds.

I don't apologise for wanting a genuine team full of genuine Papuans to win, people who are fanatical about Rugby League, as opposed to a bunch of players that largely only want to play when a World Cup comes along. Ireland winning will do absolutely nothing for the game in Ireland and 99.9% of Irish people couldn't care less. That is if they are even aware of it in the first place as not one that I know are even aware they are in the tournament.

10 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

But they aren’t Irish. The overwhelming majority of the png team are genuine papuans and RL is embedded throughout the country. For the good of the international game I’ll be rooting for the kumuls. The success story of the World Cup.

If you want to be dogmatic about the nationalities of the competing nations representatives then lets forget the whole charade,  lets just run with the nations that can populate a full team to at least compete, i.e PNG, France, England,  Aus and NZ all the others after all are contrived franchises.

22 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Liam Finn looks Irish. That’s good enough for me.

Besides, I didn’t hear many complaints when the Plastic Paddies were making the knockout stages of football World Cups under Jack Charlton 

It's not really the same is it.

Charlton's teams still had a high percentage of born and bred Irish players, the English ones just supplemented them. Also Football is huge in Ireland with thousands crossing the channel week in, week out to attend games. Football is easily the most widely discussed sport and is also very widely played with loads of teams. For me it's bigger than Gaelic but just doesn't have the same profile domestically due to the dominance of the Premiership and to a lesser extent Celtic/Rangers.

In contrast most in Ireland wouldn't be aware RL is even played in Ireland and like I said no one I know even knows Ireland has a team in the World Cup, or that there is even a World Cup.

1 minute ago, This Sporting Strife said:

Who would have thought that the Irish would embrace cricket? Yet they have. Why not RL? Especially on the back of a good world cup. Also, if the likes of Liam Kay and Liam Finn have Irish grandparents then that doesn't make them a 'franchise', it means they do have an important link.

Er Cricket has been played in Ireland for decades, it's certainly not a new thing. There are actually quite a lot of clubs in Ireland. Indeed the success of the Ireland cricket team has been on the back of its domestic setup, not due to importing players. 

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Er Cricket has been played in Ireland for decades, it's certainly not a new thing. There are actually quite a lot of clubs in Ireland. Indeed the success of the Ireland cricket team has been on the back of its domestic setup, not due to importing players. 

There is a domestic game in Ireland. Isn't there an Irish team in 2018 challenge cup? Longhorn Co Meath. There's a thread somewhere on it. 

3 minutes ago, This Sporting Strife said:

Who would have thought that the Irish would embrace cricket? Yet they have. Why not RL? Especially on the back of a good world cup. Also, if the likes of Liam Kay and Liam Finn have Irish grandparents then that doesn't make them a 'franchise', it means they do have an important link.

Cricket has been in ireland for a long time with deep roots, league is nowhere near it.

the frustration is that ireland (and scotland) have a good world cup or four nations and nothing is built on it. I don't mind heritage teams as a route to provide a competitive team and  then develop the sport like Lebanon, but patently png is a more important story for league. Their emergence maybe the single most important story of this world cup.

having said that if people feel more about the irish team thats their choice  but people are inevitably going to point out the contrasts 

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

Archived