2018 Fixtures

ojx

I have no idea what the issue is with the run of home, and then away games.  The field is being upgraded.  How is that not good in the long run for everyone?  All these people whining - can you imagine how they would fair given say a hockey, basketball or baseball schedule?  And its only for one season while the renovations occur.  I also think it might mean that the City of Toronto and TWP plan a longer term relationship and hope together to upgrade other aspects of the stadium in the future (such as more and better seating).

Maybe English fans would enjoy a game in balmy -20C weather, although for darn sure the wind chill will make it twice that cold off Lake Ontario, would that be a better option?

I doubt the players care a wit about the 11 & 11, and in fact it might make family planning easier.  You can be sure that when they walk on the field, its the very last concern on their mind.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Captain Survival said:

I have no idea what the issue is with the run of home, and then away games.  The field is being upgraded.  How is that not good in the long run for everyone?  All these people whining - can you imagine how they would fair given say a hockey, basketball or baseball schedule?  And its only for one season while the renovations occur.  I also think it might mean that the City of Toronto and TWP plan a longer term relationship and hope together to upgrade other aspects of the stadium in the future (such as more and better seating).

Maybe English fans would enjoy a game in balmy -20C weather, although for darn sure the wind chill will make it twice that cold off Lake Ontario, would that be a better option?

I doubt the players care a wit about the 11 & 11, and in fact it might make family planning easier.  You can be sure that when they walk on the field, its the very last concern on their mind.

I agree the complaints about schedule are overblown, and I actually see the delay as a sign that the deal with Lamport is short-term. The city is funding the renovations, while the Wolfpack sit back and wait. If they were really committed to Lamport long-term, they might invest money of their own to speed up the renovation (and perhaps we'll soon learn that is in fact the case). I remain hopeful that they will move to BMO field for 2020. It's a far better stadium that I consider under-used, and it seems wasteful to spend millions bringing Lamport to SL standards when there is a fine stadium so close by. The only down side is the expected loss of the craft beer garden if they move to BMO.

1 hour ago, John WP Fan said:

I agree the complaints about schedule are overblown,

12 hours ago, Captain Survival said:

Its all in a state of flux and will have to sort itself out...I'm sure that most TWP fans are willing to be flexible on this and put it all to growing pains.....hasn't even played out yet and they are whining.

Tell ya 2 things...those people over there that think we can play a game on a frozen field are totally nuts and know not of what they speak.  They have no comprehension of our climate....actually did it once when I was younger and the injuries were terrible since there was NO GIVE AT ALL..in any tackle...many seperated shoulders/joints out of place, it would be a complete disaster, and shows a complete disregard for the health of the players...are we trying to kill them.  Totally unfeasible....THE PLAYERS ARE NOT JUST PIECES OF MEAT TO BE ABUSED.

....the burns from the first Astroturf in the old days were horrible...anyone who can remember/ or received one  knows that the huge scabs are really deep burns (usually from a slide) and can take months to fall off...if they are ripped off week to week there is a real chance of infection...WAS NOT GOOD!....now my understanding is that these new turfs are alot better for this although I don't personally know but i have read/been told this.  The new turf is going to be alot better FOR THE PLAYERS!

It will all work out in the end either way...patience.

6 hours ago, John WP Fan said:

I agree the complaints about schedule are overblown, and I actually see the delay as a sign that the deal with Lamport is short-term. The city is funding the renovations, while the Wolfpack sit back and wait. If they were really committed to Lamport long-term, they might invest money of their own to speed up the renovation (and perhaps we'll soon learn that is in fact the case). I remain hopeful that they will move to BMO field for 2020. It's a far better stadium that I consider under-used, and it seems wasteful to spend millions bringing Lamport to SL standards when there is a fine stadium so close by. The only down side is the expected loss of the craft beer garden if they move to BMO.

yeah Lamport was the short term plan unless they can get some MAJOR renovations going to up the capacity and add cover of some sort. TWP wouldn't be doing that unless they owned the stadium so the city would have to sell it to the team likely with some clauses in there about it being available for community use around our schedule. Like you i think BMO is the most likely scenario but not sure what the deal will be for game day revenues and as previously mentioned the dilemma between horsepiss or beer coming out the taps.

4 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Tell ya 2 things...those people over there that think we can play a game on a frozen field are totally nuts and know not of what they speak..

We all know you have severe weather but with all due respect K rugby league hasn't always been a summer sport from 1895 to  1996 it was played in winter and we had our fair share of inclement weather lots of us know about and have played on frozen pitches clearing snow off terraces and field covering pitches with straw burning braziers to melt ice stood freezing drinking hot Bovril trying to keep warm  behind the sticks oh happy days

59 minutes ago, POR said:

We all know you have severe weather but with all due respect K rugby league hasn't always been a summer sport from 1895 to  1996 it was played in winter and we had our fair share of inclement weather lots of us know about and have played on frozen pitches clearing snow off terraces and field covering pitches with straw burning braziers to melt ice stood freezing drinking hot Bovril trying to keep warm  behind the sticks oh happy days

I got ya man...the only difference is that  the ground over here becomes permanently frozen deep down into the earth (pipes explode deep into the ground: called Permafrost)...its not a pea soup type thing with snow on top...can be solid ice 6 feet down...they can't even bury people in a hole for months after death (machine can't dig it) its freezing ground to a whole different level....different climatic zones here. 

What you are describing is like playing in late spring over here... balmy... .your 'frozen' is actually a' thaw' for us....not in Feb/March.  I could be wrong but humbly I put it to you..."What you would call a 'frozen' pitch over there and what we would call a 'frozen' pitch' are two totally different things.  I just can't see playing a game on a solid frozen pitch in -20C with a windchill of -30-35C...IMO.

Burning straw on pitch in the deep freeze of winter in Ontario is ...well...lets just say it wouldn't work at all....wouldn't even be able to keep straw alight...TOO COLD!  The artificial turf is plastic so it would maybe catch for a bit but ALL of the grass is dead here...its too damn cold.  Grass is gone!

The hot Bovril might be good but for weather conditions I'm talking about its Newfie Screech straight up...just don't think about even going near an open flame though!!!!!!!!!! 

Note: Should probably stay off posting on the forum if drinking the Screech though...might type some things you would later regret!

All the best....cold here!

Kayakman out.

I'm kinda fond of the homey Lamport but appreciate it isn't up to snuff hosting superleague RL without more seating (do-able if they use the south end parking lot - capacity then maybe 15k?) and covered stands. This would only happen if the WP bought it, can't see the City doing that. BMO is a nice field but they simply cannot contemplate losing the beergarden..it's a big part of the game day experience and drinking domestic (ie mainstream) horsepee wouldnt induce me to stick around before/after games.  And if we go to assigned seats which would be inevitable at BMO then the price will spike and that would be a disaster. 

15 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I got ya man...the only difference is that  the ground over here becomes permanently frozen deep down into the earth (pipes explode deep into the ground: called Permafrost)... can be solid ice 6 feet down

I know about the perma frost  thanks to quest documentaries but in the sixties at junior school we had a big thermometer out side that often read -5 -6 and can remember the hasdmaster MR BARSTED yes that was his name BUT he pronounced it BARSTEEEED coming into assembly and announcing we've hit -10  we 've hit -10

on the playing side many games have been called off because of solid frozen pitch they once did a test on wakeys ground took a core from the centre circle  when they looked at it the ground was frozen solid to 2 foot 8inch yes I know its not six foot but hey were supposed to have the gulf stream keeping us warm

all the best its damp here!

1 hour ago, POR said:

I know about the perma frost  thanks to quest documentaries but in the sixties at junior school we had a big thermometer out side that often read -5 -6 and can remember the hasdmaster MR BARSTED yes that was his name BUT he pronounced it BARSTEEEED coming into assembly and announcing we've hit -10  we 've hit -10

on the playing side many games have been called off because of solid frozen pitch they once did a test on wakeys ground took a core from the centre circle  when they looked at it the ground was frozen solid to 2 foot 8inch yes I know its not six foot but hey were supposed to have the gulf stream keeping us warm

all the best its damp here!

-5 would be somewhat miserable, but not  the worst. We're worried about potentially -30 C in February.

3 hours ago, John WP Fan said:

-5 would be somewhat miserable, but not  the worst. We're worried about potentially -30 C in February.

I've tried my best to explain it....don't even get the fact that we have to plug our cars into the house electricity system all night to get the car to start because of the electric blanket over the car battery....I tried!

On 11/17/2017 at 12:54 PM, POR said:

Hey POR;  Won't be playing rugby today but maybe tomorrow?  Below is the latest weather statement for where I live; drinking the Bovril just ain't going to cut it this time I'm sorry to say:

Snow squalls are expected to develop. Under the snow squall bands, visibilities will be significantly reduced due to the heavy snow, and snow will quickly accumulate.

Snow squalls will likely form to the lee of Lake Huron this evening as northwesterly winds bring colder air into the region.

For the most part, the lake effect snow bands will shift from time to time which will limit snowfall accumulations. However, local amounts of 15 cm within a 12-hour period are possible, particularly if the lake effect bands lock in for a period of time.

The snow squall activity is expected to end Monday morning.

Travel may be hazardous due to sudden changes in the weather. Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become difficult to navigate due to accumulating snow.

Snow squall watches are issued when conditions are favourable for the formation of bands of snow that could produce intense accumulating snow or near zero visibilities.

IMG_6382.jpg

7 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Hey POR;  Won't be playing rugby today but maybe tomorrow?  Below is the latest weather statement for where I live; drinking the Bovril just ain't going to cut it this time I'm sorry to say:

Snow squalls are expected to develop. Under the snow squall bands, visibilities will be significantly reduced due to the heavy snow, and snow will quickly accumulate.

Snow squalls will likely form to the lee of Lake Huron this evening as northwesterly winds bring colder air into the region.

For the most part, the lake effect snow bands will shift from time to time which will limit snowfall accumulations. However, local amounts of 15 cm within a 12-hour period are possible, particularly if the lake effect bands lock in for a period of time.

The snow squall activity is expected to end Monday morning.

Travel may be hazardous due to sudden changes in the weather. Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become difficult to navigate due to accumulating snow.

Snow squall watches are issued when conditions are favourable for the formation of bands of snow that could produce intense accumulating snow or near zero visibilities.

IMG_6382.jpg

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, Kayakman said:

I've tried my best to explain it....don't even get the fact that we have to plug our cars into the house electricity system all night to get the car to start because of the electric blanket over the car battery....I tried!

kman don't underestimate your descriptive skills you've beautifully illustrated the vagaries of the weather in your neck of the woods and for any observer this side of the pond its obvious compared to Canada this green isle on which we live is a walk in the park but I was only pointing out that prior to 96 super league  and summer rugby many games were postponed due to inclement weather frozen or waterlogged pitch snow ice on the terrace fog once kick off was put back because sun was in the wrong place  in the warm up players complained they couldn't see ball and it was hurting their  eyes bless

on a personal note playing rugby on a pitch covered by  about eight inch of the white fluffy stuff was!!!!! interesting

one last thing where I live my beloved YORKSHIRE it sometimes gets a bit chilly and you've got to put a vest on ha ha

all the best now where did I put my vest

3 hours ago, POR said:

kman don't underestimate your descriptive skills you've beautifully illustrated the vagaries of the weather in your neck of the woods and for any observer this side of the pond its obvious compared to Canada this green isle on which we live is a walk in the park but I was only pointing out that prior to 96 super league  and summer rugby many games were postponed due to inclement weather frozen or waterlogged pitch snow ice on the terrace fog once kick off was put back because sun was in the wrong place  in the warm up players complained they couldn't see ball and it was hurting their  eyes bless

on a personal note playing rugby on a pitch covered by  about eight inch of the white fluffy stuff was!!!!! interesting

one last thing where I live my beloved YORKSHIRE it sometimes gets a bit chilly and you've got to put a vest on ha ha

all the best now where did I put my vest

Got ya man...literally as I'm reading this my wife is leaving the door to go to the garage and just said."Its really icy out there!"

Its fun doing stuff in the snow (camping in a quinzy is a great experience); I love cross country skiing and snow shoeing: its the low temperatures and windchill that kill!

all the best now where did I put my full snowmobile suit, muckluks and full toque with front facial covering (no I'm not going to rob a bank; just trying to get to work! )

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

A quinzy? Muckluks? I thought you people spoke English?

How dare you DP...HOW DARE YOU!!!!  You know that these are First Nations words and therefore change with their spellings within each nations...you are linguistically allowed to modify them....if I culturally identify with that spelling then it is correct...you have just culturally appropriated them (and you should know better)!!!   There is even a form of Canadian English (not just British) and the rules allow this (same with the Yanks and Aussies; don't know about the Kiwis though).

You guys havent't done the Brexit yet!   Don't force me to report you to the European Human Rights Commission On Culturally Appropriate Language(s) et. al.  You could be in big, big trouble.   Do you have any idea how many committees they have?  Plus I just might report you to  Oxford and  that damn Red Brigade of his.

While I was away, amongst other things, I carved a large piece in the very old  traditional style with the old knifes with one High Cree word on it (one word)...do you read Cree DP?   Don't make me post it here....you had better not.  Don't make me do it!

It would terrify Parksider to visually see the monster he has awakened.

The name of the art piece in question (and I'm not kidding about the title;  you didn't know that I was a traditional carver did you?):

Title: The Final Cull Of The Great Leeds Rhino By The Toronto Wolfpack!

Medium:White Cedar/pounded copper.

People seem to like it....a large piece.

DON"T MAKE ME !!!!....don't you dare!

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

A quinzy? Muckluks? I thought you people spoke English?

25 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Does thy read Yorksha?

Only if they are eating some kind of strange far off pudding and washing it down with Screech....all seems to make sense by the time you get to the bottom of the bottle!  Like some kind of universal language or something

ᐊᒐᐦᑯᐢ ᒪᐦᐃᐦᑲᓐ

2 hours ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

There is no such thing as Canadian/Australian/American English. There's English and then there are mistakes!?

You gotta get out more..some people over there probably still believe the same thing about the word 'football'??????????????????

34 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

You gotta get out more..some people over there probably still believe the same thing about the word 'football'??????????????????

Now now kman,don't make me have to report you for using profanities. Football??? Ugh,I feel violated!

3 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

Now now kman,don't make me have to report you for using profanities. Football??? Ugh,I feel violated!

Once again you've got me...let go; let go...MERCY RULE!.  I'd hate to see what would happen if you and DP went head to head...would have to pull out my old book of synonyms!

Anyway whats wrong with Rugby League Football...got a nice ring to it methinks.

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Does thy read Yorksha?

Don't make me do it DP...don't you dare!

2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Once again you've got me...let go; let go...MERCY RULE!.  I'd hate to see what would happen if you and DP went head to head...would have to pull out my old book of synonyms!

Anyway whats wrong with Rugby League Football...got a nice ring to it methinks.

Don't make me do it DP...don't you dare!

Well? Does tha?

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived