Back "home"!

The Art of Hand and Foot

As a Swinton Lions fan I am glad that you are returning to Oldham and though I don’t know the ins and outs of the Vestacare Stadium(apart from that wall which looks too close to the pitch)my concern is that it is not to Championship standards should you Hopefully return to the a Championship at the first attempt.I hope that everything is done to ensure that it is brought to Championship standards and that Oldham can finally return home,replant the roots and stay for good and rebuild the fan base.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, moorside roughyed said:

The fold was great and Celtic really did provide a quality venue.It remains to be seen whether the attendances improve as we're back in the borough.

Well hopefully and I don’t know the ins and outs at the Vestacare Stadium the ground is brought up to Championship standards quickly so if Oldham Do go up at the first attempt the ground is to the minimum standards so they no longer have to play elsewhere and can replant their roots in Oldham and rebuild the fan base to improve attendances as time moves on.

Good luck Oldham.

6 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Well hopefully and I don’t know the ins and outs at the Vestacare Stadium the ground is brought up to Championship standards quickly so if Oldham Do go up at the first attempt the ground is to the minimum standards so they no longer have to play elsewhere and can replant their roots in Oldham and rebuild the fan base to improve attendances as time moves on.

Good luck Oldham.

Cheers,all the best for the 2018 season.

I just hope the club haven't announced this too soon.speaking to someone who uses the pitch regular he says it will need to narrowed somewhat due to the wall which would mean another permanent set of markings and reduced in length for in goal potentially making it quite a small pitch. Don't shoot the messenger

Not sure how different this would be from before but I'm sure the RLF will have concern over the wall of death, one serious injury due to this and it'd be game over.

Also told that apart from the pitch and the removal of the executive seating behind the posts !!!!!!! I'm told not a great deal has changed, so 2or3 maximum deep wet through without cover and  standing on your tiptoes it is again.

Having had a look round and a pint in the clubhouse the other week, it's a 100% better than it was previously. The ground in terms of seating\standing hasn't changed a great deal that's true,but will comfortably hold the size of crowds I expect we will see, potentially only the Bradford game may be all ticket or even at an alternative venue depending on what the capacity is set at at Vestacare. 

The clubhouse is very friendly and has been refurbished to a belting standard. Plenty of draught beer\lager options. Sky tv on, be a good do in there for sure.

The pitch is plenty big enough even when narrowed\shortened for the rugby, comfortably meeting RFL minimum pitch size.There was also a wall at the bottom corner of Bower,very similar to the one at Vestacare and that caused no issue. I'm sure padding could be put on that wall at Vestacare to help if necessary.

As time goes on I'm sure AVRO will continue to develop the ground and continue the improvements,it's not the finished article just yet but I'm not too unhappy to give it a go. It's in Oldham,it's been upgraded,it's got a decent clubhouse. Hopefully those that haven't yet had the opportunity to see the place yet will be open minded and not write it off because of the state of it last time round.

AVRO seem pretty happy to accommodate us and welcome us "home" ,let's give it a chance and enjoy the season.

1 minute ago, roughyed1064 said:

Days of big crowds for this club are long gone now, most they can expect nowadays is 1000 on a very good day, it does not matter where this team decide to set up camp they will not get massive gates.that's the sorry state of lower league set ups I'm afraid.

Big crowds are a thing of the past,but we can hope for better attendances. Your absolutely correct in your thoughts about lower league sport.All we can do is support our boys who are on the pitch.

Lack of cover shouldn't be an issue really, look at Odsal ,Bradford's crowds relatively healthy despite 2\3 of the ground being open terracing. When the people who won't go because we didn't play in Oldham return,then maybe there will be a increase in crowds. I expect we will get 400/500 to start and possibly more if we go well. Success always adds a few onto the gate. 

15 minutes ago, shaw llewellyn said:

Lets hope that being back in Oldham brings some of the stayaways back and crowds at least stay on a par with last year. Away fans are a bonus and lets face it Toulouse and London fans didn't do much for the attendences.

That's all we can hope for mate,as you said the southern and foreign clubs don't bring many fans spending money.

Archived