The Future of ORLFC

jroyales

On 06/11/2017 at 7:46 PM, roughyed34 said:

Agree, the game is in such a state of flux, i heard today that  at the dinner the other night Ralph Rimmer of the RFL was quoted as saying there will be no promotion in 2018. Where the heck does that leave the game? The RFL need to announce what the restructuring is going to be NOW, no one knows what we are playing for next season.

The RFL are killing this sport, who knows maybe through no fault of our own this could potentially be the death of RL in Oldham and other towns ,with the RFL hell bent on this Transatlantic farce and bringing back licensing (as has been pretty much confirmed by more than one respected RL journalist).Until the plans are released by the RFL at the end of the next season,then a lot of clubs i bet will be on tenterhooks. They only care about the Elite clubs, it will be a case eventually of merge or die for the lower clubs so the RFL have big city/regional clubs in the competitions.

Its coming, i believe that wholeheartedly, the future for us and the rest of the lower champ/league 1 clubs looks pretty bleak from what i keep reading about the plans for the future of RL in this country. The application of Toronto to play at Odsal next season is seriously farcical, if the game was serious about Canada surely they could find a home ground in their own country,its big enough for crying out loud. Maybe im cynical but this "move" seems like a backdoor way to introduce a "new" UK club into the mix, maybe they will rebrand/relocate to a different UK city,say Glasgow for example in the future and the "Toronto" experiment was a trojan horse? I hope not, as much as i dont like this transatlantic malarky they did seem to attract crowds and publicity for the game.NY we cant comment on yet.

I truly fear for the sport as a whole.

In a restructure the answer imho would be to have four 10 team divisions.in 2019, SL,SL2,Division 1, Division 2.

At the end of the coming season, the top 10 SL clubs remain in SL,

SL2 comprises the 2 sides "relegated"from SL plus the top 8 from the Championship.

Division 1 consists of bottom 4 from Championship and top 6 from League 1.

Division 2 consists of the remaining 8 League 1 clubs and two others, NY is one plus Bristol.

2 up,2 down Promotion and relegation between the lower 3 leagues ,and 1 promotion relegation place between SL and SL2.

Due to less fixtures start the season later so it becomes proper "Summer" rugby, Have 9s comps "pre season" to bulk out the season if necessary.

At least then everyone has something to play for, even go to 12 teams per division if its achievable, no middle eights,super eights etc. SL could still have playoffs and the GF.

Just my basic plan in dreamworld to keep the game alive.

P.S Whitebank has improved immeasurably AK, no reason why it couldnt develop further with the addition of a couple of stands.It was a dump,it isnt anymore.

EDIT. Seems like Toronto will be playing next season in Canada after all, seems very odd that they applied to play at Odsal still though.

I don't recall Rimmer saying that! 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

I think its not just relevant to Oldham but to the game.No sky,no club,no money, no game.Knackered!.

sounds like the Samoan Rugby Union then ........although The Chaps from Twickers have agreed to Bank Roll them i see ... just like a true Mason would do

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

Sky are not the only broadcaster, BT Sport, Amazon, Netflix etc etc are all in the market these days, maybe even BBC, ITV, Ch4 or 5 might be interested.

Sky's coverage has also dwindled over the years as 'boots n all' and other magazine shows have been taken off the air and you get 5mins of interviews after the game before Sky put on a 2hr lookback at the 1990 Rugby Union season. they can't even be bothered to get rid of the opening credit Robots that has been used for god knows how long, in the real world they would have been recycled ino fridges by now.

I remember the RFL getting slated a couple of years ago for the last TV deal . They just accepted Sky's offer even though BT had just set up and was looking  for sport coverage.

Either way it would be nice if League 1 and the Championship got more coverage, surely even Channel 5 could afford that seeing as Premier Sports had the rights a couple of year ago. In fact, I am hoping Free Sports manages to get a RL package together.

Rant over, its too early for all this. I need a brew :)

18 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

I wasnt there so cant confirm it either way tbh Yed, just what someone in attendance passed down the line. Maybe it was misconstrued/misheard i dont know. Guess we will find out at the end of next season :)

Spoke to Roger Halstead yesterday; he was at the dinner last week.  I asked him about Ralph Rimmer's speech.

Roger tells me that Rimmer didn't make any reference whatsoever to the RFL or its future plans and spoke only about the governing body's regard for the Oldham club, past and present.

I'm paraphrasing what Roger told me here but he pointed out that a leading official would never break information of that magnitude at a club dinner. It would only be released via an official statement from the RFL, signed off by all relevant parties.

8 hours ago, Whitworth Yed said:

Sky are not the only broadcaster, BT Sport, Amazon, Netflix etc etc are all in the market these days, maybe even BBC, ITV, Ch4 or 5 might be interested.

Sky's coverage has also dwindled over the years as 'boots n all' and other magazine shows have been taken off the air and you get 5mins of interviews after the game before Sky put on a 2hr lookback at the 1990 Rugby Union season. they can't even be bothered to get rid of the opening credit Robots that has been used for god knows how long, in the real world they would have been recycled ino fridges by now.

I remember the RFL getting slated a couple of years ago for the last TV deal . They just accepted Sky's offer even though BT had just set up and was looking  for sport coverage.

Either way it would be nice if League 1 and the Championship got more coverage, surely even Channel 5 could afford that seeing as Premier Sports had the rights a couple of year ago. In fact, I am hoping Free Sports manages to get a RL package together.

Rant over, its too early for all this. I need a brew :)

Lager phew 

Archived