Wellington goes to the dark side

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

To be fair, the guy was probably being paid peanuts by Saints. He is not a kid he's already turned 21. 

The centre position is a particularly difficult position to master at a young age and physically centres are very big now. 21 is still very young. Would have liked to have seen him stay in the game and develop 

Just now, DoubleD said:

The centre position is a particularly difficult position to master at a young age and physically centres are very big now. 21 is still very young. Would have liked to have seen him stay in the game and develop 

So would I absolutely, but realistically what would a Welsh RU side have to offer to top his salary?

34 minutes ago, Scubby said:

So would I absolutely, but realistically what would a Welsh RU side have to offer to top his salary?

But will he just get lost in the union system? I would have hoped he’d have seen his countryman Grace’s rise to stardom and strived to follow that. He could then be earning big money within a couple of years 

5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

But will he just get lost in the union system? I would have hoped he’d have seen his countryman Grace’s rise to stardom and strived to follow that. He could then be earning big money within a couple of years 

How much do you think Grace is on? Seriously? I agree with all your points but RL in this country has a habit of paying young players terribly. I remember Burgess being on a small salary at Wigan when the Roosters came calling. The whole Solomona saga showed he was on a very modest wage at Castleford. Money is a big problem at squad level.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

How much do you think Grace is on? Seriously? I agree with all your points but RL in this country has a habit of paying young players terribly. I remember Burgess being on a small salary at Wigan when the Roosters came calling. The whole Solomona saga showed he was on a very modest wage at Castleford. Money is a big problem at squad level.

Yeah but with another good year Grace could command a good wage. 

The Dragons will not be offering a big wage to Wellington, they’re not cash rich

Just now, DoubleD said:

Yeah but with another good year Grace could command a good wage. 

The Dragons will not be offering a big wage to Wellington, they’re not cash rich

All true and I don't know enough about it. I was amazed to hear not so long back how many first team SL squad players were earning pretty much the minimum wage. It is a real problem for our game. We don't have the cash.

40 minutes ago, Scubby said:

All true and I don't know enough about it. I was amazed to hear not so long back how many first team SL squad players were earning pretty much the minimum wage. It is a real problem for our game. We don't have the cash.

Equally I was shocked when a couple of seasons ago Leeds saying how much (how little) Lilley and Sutcliffe were paid (something like 20K+ between them).  Having just come out the academy level.

Too be honest 1.8 was not much to divide between a 25 man squad. Hence most squads beyond 17/18 players are made up of academy level players.   The adjustments made to marquee and allowances for own academy players helps to spread the pay cap further and though slightly increased it ain't a lot for a short career when the first few years are being paid very lowly.

53 minutes ago, Scubby said:

And Rob Andrew was quoted from his recent book saying that £200k pa is not unusual in English RU with the top players commanding a lot more. Who could blame any young player for seeking the opportunity for better pay?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

And Rob Andrew was quoted from his recent book saying that £200k pa is not unusual in English RU with the top players commanding a lot more. Who could blame any young player for seeking the opportunity for better pay?

And its easier to play says me who has played both codes

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

I thought the regional teams get large sums of money from the Welsh RU.  Most of the salary costs (60%) plus additional monies from TV rights etc. They spend much more on salaries than SL, between 3.5m to 5m depending upon which regional team..... also to add -internationals in the squads get some of salary paid direct from Welsh RU. 

Also I thought the welsh RU have recently taken over the Dragons.

Anyway that's my understanding, so they can afford to pay more even if low attendances.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

We’ve never had the cash to match RU.

He's from a Welsh union background so not a huge shock he's gone back.

He had natural talent but 2 things seem to have hampered his league career. 

He's had a fair few injuries and his body seemed to struggle with the physicalties of league. He also got a rough ride from Cunningham which knocked his confidence a lot.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

19 hours ago, redjonn said:

I thought the regional teams get large sums of money from the Welsh RU.  Most of the salary costs (60%) plus additional monies from TV rights etc. They spend much more on salaries than SL, between 3.5m to 5m depending upon which regional team..... also to add -internationals in the squads get some of salary paid direct from Welsh RU. 

Also I thought the welsh RU have recently taken over the Dragons.

Anyway that's my understanding, so they can afford to pay more even if low attendances.

I think that is for the centrally contracted players. However their clubs are funded by WRU where interntional fixtures are a cash cow, and whilst Pro14 clubs dont have the spending power of Wnglish and French clubs, they have just doubled their broadcasting revenues by adding two South African teams and switching to a 2 conference approache . All the more reason for our sport to consider bringing North American clubs. Two eight teams conferences, one Heritage/ Heartland, one Trans Atalantic (Perez’s suggested 5-6 plus the likes of Catalan, Toulouse and London) could have very significant benefits

21 hours ago, Damien said:

22 in December. Don't really know the history and to be honest never heard of him but players, particularly backs, have normally made their mark long before now if they are any good. 

Just shows how quiet things are currently that this is newsworthy.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 hours ago, JoneslessBishop said:

I think that is for the centrally contracted players. However their clubs are funded by WRU where interntional fixtures are a cash cow, and whilst Pro14 clubs dont have the spending power of Wnglish and French clubs, they have just doubled their broadcasting revenues by adding two South African teams and switching to a 2 conference approache . All the more reason for our sport to consider bringing North American clubs. Two eight teams conferences, one Heritage/ Heartland, one Trans Atalantic (Perez’s suggested 5-6 plus the likes of Catalan, Toulouse and London) could have very significant benefits

The Pro12 was expanded into a market where union is already huge. You're proposing league should expand into markets where is tiny as if league would reap the same financial rewards.

Archived