NRL pay to be paid highest ever

SL will still have good players. However I think it's time the Cap went up to say 2.5 million. This would give clubs more room for talent.

Reality is RL is more popular in Oz And a huge TV sport so they can pay alot more to the talent than UK can. Where SL was created by Sky and in 20 years the money has gone down  in real terms taking into account inflation. 

4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Minimum wage $120,000.  Can our Marquee player agreement compete with this.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/03/a-huge-win-for-players-and-the-game-nrl-pay-agreement-finally-reached

Will this see the end of the mediocre journey men from Aus who grace our game in the UK?

Some may say it could be detrimental to the game over here, it could have the opposite effect in giving the opportunity to more of the younger players other than clubs expecting everyone one of them is good because they have a south pacific accent.

1 minute ago, Southerner80 said:

SL will still have good players. However I think it's time the Cap went up to say 2.5 million. This would give clubs more room for talent.

Reality is RL is more popular in Oz And a huge TV sport so they can pay alot more to the talent than UK can. Where SL was created by Sky and in 20 years the money has gone down  in real terms taking into account inflation. 

What happened to Maurice Lindsay's "Vision" for Super League?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Will this see the end of the mediocre journey men from Aus who grace our game in the UK?

Some may say it could be detrimental to the game over here, it could have the opposite effect in giving the opportunity to more of the younger players other than clubs expecting everyone one of them is good because they have a south pacific accent.

Poor talent scouting if Clubs are signing has been's or never have been's from Downunder.

Its not like 30 years ago where is was word of mouth on a players ability, any player worth anything has plenty of info available on their ability.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

9 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Basically yes it did not.

RL does have a decent fan Base but Lindsays ideas didn't work as you need grass roots support not just to plonk in a team ala PSG.

Toronto Wolfpack would beg to differ.

There are reasons why some clubs work and others do not.  Were is proximety to the M62, Swinton and Highfield would be booming.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

33 minutes ago, Allora said:

Poor talent scouting if Clubs are signing has been's or never have been's from Downunder.

Its not like 30 years ago where is was word of mouth on a players ability, any player worth anything has plenty of info available on their ability.

Totally agree Allora, but believe me we have had some donkeys who have arrived and still keep on coming to these shores.

56 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Minimum wage $120,000.  Can our Marquee player agreement compete with this.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/03/a-huge-win-for-players-and-the-game-nrl-pay-agreement-finally-reached

I really don't know how some of them clubs will survive as most run at a loss now without this.

27 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Toronto Wolfpack would beg to differ.

There are reasons why some clubs work and others do not.  Were is proximety to the M62, Swinton and Highfield would be booming.

Toronto is the Jewel in the Crown of the modern expansion movement Bob, but that gemstone still requires polishing to maintain its lustre, we have expierienced previous entities who have initially flattered only to falter, I have never ever bought into knee jerk reactions, I will reserve judgement with very interested observations for 4 or 5 years to confirm if they are the real deal or otherwise.

If the UK cap went to £2.5m you’d have 3-4 strong clubs able to spend that - Leeds, Warrington, Wigan and maybe Saints and Hull.

Then you’d see the smaller clubs going bust just like in the 90s as they try to compete or survive relegation.   With a cap that high you may as well have no cap at all and just a super 4s competition with 32 rounds and 8 regular derbies.

if we can’t compete with the Aussie cap so be it.   We will lose some players to Aus and have to produce more of our own and concentrate on grass roots.   If we can make SL entertaining enoug for the fans we will still see big crowds no matter whether Aussie stars play here or not.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Toronto is the Jewel in the Crown of the modern expansion movement Bob, but that gemstone still requires polishing to maintain its lustre, we have expierienced previous entities who have initially flattered only to falter, I have never ever bought into knee jerk reactions, I will reserve judgement with very interested observations for 4 or 5 years to confirm if they are the real deal or otherwise.

They could still ruin everything.  That is clear.

We can look at why they succeed and why they might fail.

Or not bother.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I really think it's great for the game and if it keeps players in the game and makes RL as a whole stronger then so be it.

If the NRL had a similar salary cap to Super League and paying the same sort of wages then the game would really be struggling with the threat of RU, in my opinion. As it is it can hold its own and this is even benefitting English RL with keeping its better players in the game. It is also expanding our player pool by meaning more English players are coming through to take their places (when they go to the NRL)  and also means less imports from Australia coming into Super League. 

4 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

If the UK cap went to £2.5m you’d have 3-4 strong clubs able to spend that - Leeds, Warrington, Wigan and maybe Saints and Hull.

Then you’d see the smaller clubs going bust just like in the 90s as they try to compete or survive relegation.   With a cap that high you may as well have no cap at all and just a super 4s competition with 32 rounds and 8 regular derbies.

if we can’t compete with the Aussie cap so be it.   We will lose some players to Aus and have to produce more of our own and concentrate on grass roots.   If we can make SL entertaining enoug for the fans we will still see big crowds no matter whether Aussie stars play here or not.

Well said :clapping:

17 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The thing is though, that isnt really true.

In say 2003 the SL grant was around 900k, yet the salary cap was 1.7m. Next season the SL grant will be around 1.7m and the SC will be around 1.9m plus a marquee player. Had the clubs been expected to keep pace with their contribution the SC would be closer to £3m as it would had the SC kept pace with general inflation.

The fact is that the structure of the game has protected lazy and failing clubs who havent increased their revenue streams, havent increased their sales, and who have relied on Sky to push growth. If it has been pushed at all.

This stagnation has gotten to the point whereby its not a question of whether the Aussie stars play here or not (they no longer do), but the level of journeymen being imported, and the level of quality player been lost.

Exactly. Hopefully the likes of Toronto coming through will change this situation.

16 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The thing is though, that isnt really true.

In say 2003 the SL grant was around 900k, yet the salary cap was 1.7m. Next season the SL grant will be around 1.7m and the SC will be around 1.9m plus a marquee player. Had the clubs been expected to keep pace with their contribution the SC would be closer to £3m as it would had the SC kept pace with general inflation.

The fact is that the structure of the game has protected lazy and failing clubs who havent increased their revenue streams, havent increased their sales, and who have relied on Sky to push growth. If it has been pushed at all.

This stagnation has gotten to the point whereby its not a question of whether the Aussie stars play here or not (they no longer do), but the level of journeymen being imported, and the level of quality player been lost.

An interesting feature for maybe an RL publication (nudge nudge) would be a comparison of finances 20 years ago, 10 years ago and now. As you say, central funding has increased whereas player contracts have remained relatively static - what about sponsorship, gate receipts, costs etc?

I dunno whether it was just more stakeholder investment back in 1994 or what.

51 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

You may or somone else could possibly clarify, I understand that on top of the 1.825M cap clubs are allowed extra spending power based upon a percentage of their proffit/turnover from their previous last audited accounts, is that correct or have I misunderstood some other information in connection with that topic.

21 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You may or somone else could possibly clarify, I understand that on top of the 1.825M cap clubs are allowed extra spending power based upon a percentage of their proffit/turnover from their previous last audited accounts, is that correct or have I misunderstood some other information in connection with that topic.

I'm getting all my info from here:

http://www.rugby-league.com/operational-rules/mobile/index.html#p=256

A summary of the marquee, home-trained eligibility rules:

http://www.rugby-league.com/salary_cap_regulations

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

That SL cap was £1.6 mill about 10 years ago then went up to £1.825 about 5 years ago. To make matters worse, the exchange rate has changed massively in favour of the $A (from 40p to 77p since about 2008)

Then there was also the old SL tactic of paying a big chunk of contracts into non-taxable offshore pension funds which was stopped in 2011? (I'm pretty sure it was Cameron-era) Then there was the end to the image rights payments which were off-cap.

In terms of SL pay v. NRL pay, it's all been one-way traffic.

Were screwed.

Rough caps at the moment are:

SL - £1.9m

NRL - £5.4m

Aviva Premiership - £7m

Top 14 (france) – Don't think anyone know's for sure but it's over £10m

I know there's little point comparing us to Union but they are clearly in a position the outbid both SL and the NRL.

Super league needs to bring some money in from somewhere fast.......if they raised the cap how many teams could afford to spend more?

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

Archived