super league

It looks to me like only one northern hemisphere nation is going to make the quarter finals of world cup . You have to ask is super league really that super ? Catalan have been in our league for how long yet France haven't progressed at all on the international stage . Wales have gone backwards now our game cant attract top union players . Twenty years of super league and our game is in no better shape. Plenty of traditional clubs struggling having to make way for the dreams of certain people who see or seek a world league . Has anyone ever ask the fans of these traditional clubs what they want . As a fan next season in championship there's two away games I cant afford to go to being Toronto and Toulouse . Leigh would have brought so much more to super league than Catalan fan wise and atmosphere wise at stadia . Like wise Bradford and Oldham in the championship to likes of Toulouse and Toronto .  Maybe the only way traditional clubs fans can put an end to this seeking world league farce is to boycott there home games against the likes of Catalan , Toulouse and Toronto .      

Chief Crazy Eagle

Hmmm....in the NRL players make huge wages, are locals stars and there is a big drive for youth to pursue the game as they can be local stars and make big money...similar to what English youth do...for football though.

In the UK at the moment you can play in a small old stadiums with tons of empty seats for piddly wages while you put your body on the line. The whole marketing pitch isn't as good in the UK and kids tend to go for other sports don't they, isn't that why the numbers are down for youth participation?

Sounds like youth athletes want a chance of making a good living, playing infront of big crowds and becoming a big name...and you want to take AWAY that chance by excluding new teams that have the potential to bring money into the game and help get the game out of evil twins shadow?

Oh i see great things for RL in the UK with you at the fore front. Tell me where is the money to attract players going to come from, hasn't been coming in droves in the past so whats going to change without TWP, Catalans or Toulouse? These teams are good for the English game as they will make the sport more attractive and you will have more English players coming though the ranks. sure they might not play for your team but they will play pro RL at a high level which can only be good of the national team.

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

They make it more attractive for me. That's evidence of one person at least.

I only got back into SL because of them...without Cats SL has a glamour bypass. ... Ask fans if they fancy an away trip to Hull or Perpignan. 

I have mixed feelings about Canada and USA teams but the French teams it's a must to get up to 3-4 of them in SL as then France will have a big player Base and can transform international RL into a legit 4-6 top nations (with Fiji and PNG).

If international RL had 6 legit non heritage  teams all competitive it's suddenly very marketable. 

South France Is heartlands of RL. Small parts of South France like Auckland is, are RL lands surrounded by union. The point is it's a legit culture there and needs to be supported. 

As for France at the WC. They are doing okay and would have beat Lebanon but for Moses who in fairness would be in the England team if he was English.

That Catalans produce and bring through so many of the professional French players in SL and championship says alot of good things. 

2 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

I only got back into SL because of them...without Cats SL has a glamour bypass. ... Ask fans if they fancy an away trip to Hull or Perpignan. 

I have mixed feelings about Canada and USA teams but the French teams it's a must to get up to 3-4 of them in SL as then France will have a big player Base and can transform international RL into a legit 4-6 top nations (with Fiji and PNG).

If international RL had 6 legit non heritage  teams all competitive it's suddenly very marketable. 

South France Is heartlands of RL. Small parts of South France like Auckland is, are RL lands surrounded by union. The point is it's a legit culture there and needs to be supported. 

As for France at the WC. They are doing okay and would have beat Lebanon but for Moses who in fairness would be in the England team if he was English.

That Catalans produce and bring through so many of the professional French players in SL and championship says alot of good things. 

plenty of fans cant afford an away trip to Catalan

Chief Crazy Eagle

Just now, superten said:

Just now, superten said:

Yes but it's at least a option.

Some people can't afford sky or even tickets to SL matches in Yorkshire but I'm happy they exist.

Catalans are a great thing for SL. Even Leighs owner said so.....

If we really cared about the International game we would have 2 French teams and 2 Welsh teams in Super League. France and Wales would be transformed at international level if that was the case and the game would be much better for it. Wales and France certainly have enough Rugby players to support that. As always it boils down to money and the self interest of the existing clubs.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

If we really cared about the International game we would have 2 French teams and 2 Welsh teams in Super League. France and Wales would be transformed at international level if that was the case and the game would be much better for it. Wales and France certainly have enough Rugby players to support that. As always it boils down to money and the self interest of the existing clubs.

Would love to say Wales could support a pro team at SL level but I don't think thete is the support there. Even in union they are barely keeping 4 pro teams going And are really very reliant on the huge revenue from internationals....football is actually more popular in Wales it's just rugby union is a way to beat England and the snooty values of the RFU.

Wales are doing okay in RL as there are pathways for Junior talent so given time we will see more players.

France is the real opportunity. 

10 minutes ago, superten said:

Why cant French clubs play in French league. How would we feel say if Leeds and Wigan went to play in the NRL  

Because there is no money in it and because its not a strong enough league as things stand. It needs an injection of 4 or 5 bigger teams to get the standard up, as well as a TV deal, before a proper full time French league is viable.

2 hours ago, superten said:

It looks to me like only one northern hemisphere nation is going to make the quarter finals of world cup . You have to ask is super league really that super ? Catalan have been in our league for how long yet France haven't progressed at all on the international stage . Wales have gone backwards now our game cant attract top union players . Twenty years of super league and our game is in no better shape. Plenty of traditional clubs struggling having to make way for the dreams of certain people who see or seek a world league . Has anyone ever ask the fans of these traditional clubs what they want . As a fan next season in championship there's two away games I cant afford to go to being Toronto and Toulouse . Leigh would have brought so much more to super league than Catalan fan wise and atmosphere wise at stadia . Like wise Bradford and Oldham in the championship to likes of Toulouse and Toronto .  Maybe the only way traditional clubs fans can put an end to this seeking world league farce is to boycott there home games against the likes of Catalan , Toulouse and Toronto .      

See. 

You are pretending to face up to things, but you are not really.

Here is the truth, rugby league are we know it is buggered.  A small semi-pro team providing a good standard of rugby for the local experts to come and watch is not viable anymore.  Kids in Featherstone can watch Real Madrid and Barcelona.  They are not going to be impressed at a 20,000 signing for Rovers and they are less likely to dream of scoring for Fev.

Local teams for local people made sense when media was limited.  Now, it does not.

Boycott games.  Sure.  Boycot Sky.  Sure.  Play amateur rugby league. 

The 80's have gone.  They are not coming back and they were xxxx anyway.

Your recipe is ridiculous. 

Without the TV deal for Super League, we would not be where we were in 1995 (which was pretty bad), we would be closer to what the French Elite 1 is today.  How many of our players would be playing part-time St Helens, when they could get more playing second flight in rugby union?  It could well be that Club St Helens would be dominated by Liverpool St Helens.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

See. 

You are pretending to face up to things, but you are not really.

Here is the truth, rugby league are we know it is buggered.  A small semi-pro team providing a good standard of rugby for the local experts to come and watch is not viable anymore.  Kids in Featherstone can watch Real Madrid and Barcelona.  They are not going to be impressed at a 20,000 signing for Rovers and they are less likely to dream of scoring for Fev.

Local teams for local people made sense when media was limited.  Now, it does not.

Boycott games.  Sure.  Boycot Sky.  Sure.  Play amateur rugby league. 

The 80's have gone.  THhey are not coming back and they were anyway.

Your recipe is ridiculous. 

Without the TV deal for Super League, we would not be where we were in 1995 (which was pretty bad), we would be closer to what the French Elite 1 is today.  How many of our players would be playing part-time St Helens, when they could get more playing second flight in rugby union?  It could well be that Club St Helens would be dominated by Liverpool St Helens.

Spot on mate. Agree with all of it. People need to be real about how it is.

25 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

There is one basic error from the OP.

They omitted to call it "Super Greed"

I'd have also accepted Sooper Dooper League

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

50 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Do fans have an obligation to go to every game? Plenty of fans can't afford a season ticket, should we let them in for free? 

The pragmatic reaction would be we need richer fans.  I suggest we launch a new club in Zurich and one in Monaco.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Could Ireland make it?

With some of the crowds the "traditional" clubs get it seems some are already boycotting the games and they have had 100 years to get to the heights of an 1000 crowd

Can someone explain to me why there is such a strong anti-NA feeling? I have heard many times that there is a lot of Pro expansion people but this is the internet and you always get the complaints. Can the nay says please answer the 4 questions for me so i can better understand this feeling?

1. What is your dream scenario for RL in the Uk?
  2. What needs to happen to make it a reallity?
  3. Can these things actually occur in the UK?
  4. How is NA expansion hindering your RL Dream?

12 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Can someone explain to me why there is such a strong anti-NA feeling? 

I don't think there is. As far as I can see its limited to about 4 people who's sides haven't a cat in hells chance of ever being in Super League anyway.

8 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Can someone explain to me why there is such a strong anti-NA feeling? I have heard many times that there is a lot of Pro expansion people but this is the internet and you always get the complaints. Can the nay says please answer the 4 questions for me so i can better understand this feeling?

1. What is your dream scenario for RL in the Uk?
  2. What needs to happen to make it a reallity?
  3. Can these things actually occur in the UK?
  4. How is NA expansion hindering your RL Dream?

I clearly cannot answer.

I think what you are seeing is people's dreams (based around their youth) colliding with reality and Toronto getting the blame.  Bear in mind that people who post on forums are much more likely to have the present set up of rugby league as part of the personal cultural identity. 

There are some reasonable reservations.  TWP, Toulouse, NY and Boston would not leave any room for Leigh.  With Leigh in the wilderness, the game there could well decline and at present, towns like Halifax and Leigh are large chunks of the game.  For some people, rugby league in those towns is rugby league to them.  It seems Toronto WP could disappear in a few years and all that will have happened is their home town has suffered. 

Overall, TWP are a wonderful

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

I clearly cannot answer.

I think what you are seeing is people's dreams (based around their youth) colliding with reality and Toronto getting the blame.  Bear in mind that people who post on forums are much more likely to have the present set up of rugby league as part of the personal cultural identity. 

There are some reasonable reservations.  TWP, Toulouse, NY and Boston would not leave any room for Leigh.  With Leigh in the wilderness, the game there could well decline and at present, towns like Halifax and Leigh are large chunks of the game.  For some people, rugby league in those towns is rugby league to them.  It seems Toronto WP could disappear in a few years and all that will have happened is their home town has suffered. 

Overall, TWP are a wonderful

I just want to try and understand what logic they have for RL thriving without a major injection of investment and new fans. Outside of NA and European expansion I don't see it happening and with NA we don't have the RU influence to hold it back and a very sports hungry market with a ton of cash.

Fertile grounds vs trying to grown things in a dried up land that once was a lush tropic.

The heartland clubs could still survive in the post apocalyptic (NA expansion) landscape as development clubs for the big franchises. Still get to see the local lads playing on the big stage and still get a local club to support. Basically become what the OHL/AHL are for the NHL

5 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

I just want to try and understand what logic they have for RL thriving without a major injection of investment and new fans. Outside of NA and European expansion I don't see it happening and with NA we don't have the RU influence to hold it back and a very sports hungry market with a ton of cash.

Fertile grounds vs trying to grown things in a dried up land that once was a lush tropic.

The heartland clubs could still survive in the post apocalyptic (NA expansion) landscape as development clubs for the big franchises. Still get to see the local lads playing on the big stage and still get a local club to support. Basically become what the OHL/AHL are for the NHL

If you are based in Halifax, and rugby league is important to your personal identity, and TWP seem to be looking to lead a batch of clubs that will block Halifaw from ever having a Super League place, you will not like TWP.

3 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

I think you misunderstand the nature of this particular type of RL fan. They're not actually fans of the game as such, they're fans of their club. It doesn't matter to them if the game is played on public parks in front of twenty people as long as their club is still at or near the top. I don't necessarily say that as a criticism - it is a legitimate way to enjoy sport and in some ways the backbone of lower league RL. But as someone who is first and foremost a fan of the sport they are unfortunately an obstacle to progress and there isn't really a middle ground.

8 hours ago, superten said:

You don't express the popular view mate so you'll be mocked and vilified by the mob.

I happen to agree with what you've said but have hope for Toronto.

Archived