Regional leagues 2018

Any ideas on what teams will be entering regional leagues next season? A number of teams struggled this year. What will be the set up? Scot league fell apart, midlands fared badly, Wales also struggled. Only north east & London looked strong. East & west leagues just completed. No league can afford to lose any more teams. Will conference south reappear? Doubt it

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't normally find out this early. I can't see either CLS or the premier division in the Midlands being back though, probably just one Midlands division. Northampton were thinking of switching to the east last I heard, not sure if they'll be allowed, and not sure where Coventry Dragons will be able to play.

The only thing I've heard for definite is Hemel A are switching from east premier to the London premier, they'd hoped to join the CLS (East)

1 hour ago, kev p said:

If the CLS does reappear with east & west divs, I can’t see enough teams left to form leagues. 

They only had three applications each for the West and the East divisions. I doubt all six would want to enter a full CLS

The applicants were:

West: Torfaen Tigers, Valley Cougars and Bath

East: Coventry Dragons, Hemel Stags A and London Chargers

I don't see CLS west and east ever getting off the ground as clubs are only going to go backwards in the regional leagues

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/01/2018 at 9:10 PM, kev p said:

Any news yet on set up for regional leagues this year? 

Instead of creating a CLS East they are going to let the better teams from other regions play in the London premier. It's likely there will be a London division 1 below this for clubs just in London.

This is just a rumour but I have heard that there will be no CLS leagues this season.  I have been told that Hemel 'A' (basically Hemel second team) have applied to play in the London Premier in 2018 with a third team, a Hemel community team, playing in the East Premier.

Apparently eight teams have been invited to play in the East Premier league this season.  It had been suggested that each team play each other once then the league splits in two with top four/ bottom four playing each other again, to give more 'even' games.  A regular season of ten weeks, plus league cup, and play offs would give a club a season of about  14 -16 weeks. 

3 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Midlands Division 1 still exists. The two-team Midlands Premier probably doesn't. Coventry Dragons are joining the London league I believe, having also considered joining the North West league. 

Yeah I heard they were joining London premier. Think Northampton are joining East Premier but don't know who the eighth team is there (Luton Vipers would seem most likely)

• 2 weeks later...

From the announcement on Facebook, the South West region is dragging itself back to life.  So, long story short:
Full members: Cornish Rebels, Saltash (Plymouth have moved across the River Tamar), Teignmouth (new team) and Tarka Storm (new team in Barnstaple).
Affiliate members: Exeter (who are rebuilding under new management), Dorset County Giants (new team following in the steps of the old Giants, based in Wareham/Weymouth)

Not sure what's happening with Devon Sharks, they seem to be playing another friendly season, though this time the results count towards the RFL's new Rugby League Conference.

The London Leagues also seem to be set for the season.

50 minutes ago, bbfaz said:

From the announcement on Facebook, the South West region is dragging itself back to life.  So, long story short:
Full members: Cornish Rebels, Saltash (Plymouth have moved across the River Tamar), Teignmouth (new team) and Tarka Storm (new team in Barnstaple).
Affiliate members: Exeter (who are rebuilding under new management), Dorset County Giants (new team following in the steps of the old Giants, based in Wareham/Weymouth)

Not sure what's happening with Devon Sharks, they seem to be playing another friendly season, though this time the results count towards the RFL's new Rugby League Conference.

The London Leagues also seem to be set for the season.

Thanks. I live in hope but would be surprised to see all those in the South West complete the season

12 hours ago, kev p said:

So what regional leagues are running this year? Premier & div 1 constitutions. 

Been told that East Rugby League are running a premiership and div 1  this season.

Teams in Prem - St Albans, St Ives, Brentwood, Bedford, North Herts and Milton Keynes.

No idea who is in Div 1.

14 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Thanks. I live in hope but would be surprised to see all those in the South West complete the season

Only the full members can play SW League games so Cornish, Saltash, Tarka and Teignmouth, which would be a six-game season.  Dorset and Exeter are looking to play games to earn their way to full membership for next season.   SW are relying heavily on their teams filling the season by playing friendlies under the guise of the Rugby League Conference, though it's unclear what your results actually count towards.  Just brainstorming, perhaps it could be a wildcard into Harry Jepson?

As far as I know, no word from the West of England League until the league meeting this month.

1 hour ago, Jasper said:

Been told that East Rugby League are running a premiership and div 1  this season.

Teams in Prem - St Albans, St Ives, Brentwood, Bedford, North Herts and Milton Keynes.

No idea who is in Div 1.

Nine teams finished last season - the six you mention plus Hemel, Kings Lynn and Luton -  after Cambridge sadly and finally crossed the big white line in the sky.  Hemel are joining the London Premier and I was told that the remaining eight teams would be in some kind of single division, which I assume would be two groups with crossover fixtures.

Northampton are joining the London & SE region so they're not involved.

5 hours ago, bbfaz said:

Nine teams finished last season - the six you mention plus Hemel, Kings Lynn and Luton -  after Cambridge sadly and finally crossed the big white line in the sky.  Hemel are joining the London Premier and I was told that the remaining eight teams would be in some kind of single division, which I assume would be two groups with crossover fixtures.

That was the original suggestion, an eight team league, but at last weeks meeting Luton and Kings Lynn elected to go into the 1st Div (not sure with who else though.)  Not sure where Hemel B will be playing.

OK, up-to-date info then.

The only other team knocking around last year were Southend Sharks and you'd assume they'd be up for it, especially as they have a new kit and sponsor for 2018.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, thought that had already been published!

Premier Division
Wests Warriors
London Chargers
Hammersmith Hills Hoists
Eastern Rhinos
Coventry Dragons (joining from Midlands)
Hemel Stags (joining from East)

Championship Division
Brixton Bulls
South London Silverbacks
London Chargers A
Medway Dragons
Newham Dockers (all from London & SE Championship 2017)
Northampton Demons (joining from Midlands)

Merit League
London Skolars (A/B/?)
Brixton Bulls A
Elmbridge Eagles
Richmond RLFC
Wests Warriors Pounamu

Depends on what you means by a Premier Division.  Every region is going to have some sort of structure.  For instance, as far as I know and it depends entirely on who steps forward to play, West of England will be on a split season.  First chunk of the season will be in regionalised groups of four and then they'll reconvene into groups based on positions.

Archived