Regional leagues 2018

Heard rumblings about this and then saw their fixtures. Having had a season ticket with the now defunct All Golds I look forward to the new season. Its a level of rugby I haven't seen before so really interested to see how it goes.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

West of England Fixtures - Saturday 12 May

Somerset Vikings P-P Bristol Sonics
(To be played Wed 30 May) 
Swindon St George v Bath RL

Forest Bulldogs P-P Swindon St George A (To be played Sat 26 May) 
Cheltenham Phoenix v All Golds

Southampton Spitfires v Reading Raiders 
Portsmouth Seahawks v Oxford Cavaliers 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Wiltshire Rhino, you are right in the way you have it.  Cheltenham Phoenix are at home.  Also The opposition are All Golds, not Gloucester All Golds.  

Attended an exciting game, at Solway Park, Maryport, in the Cumberland League's Premier Division yesterday (12/5). Distington pipped Ellenborough Rangers 32-28 in an 11-try thriller. The visitors led 10-0 after eight minutes but Elbra replied with four tries to ease 22-10 ahead at half-time. Distington crossed twice early in the second to close the gap to two points. The hosts went over again on the hour, to lead 28-20, but two converted tries, in the 63rd and 71st minutes, saw Distington to victory. A lovely sunny afternoon on the west Cumbria coast attracted a crowd of about 175. Admission of £2 included a four-page programme. Excellent set-up at Solway Park, which has a large stand (a covered terrace) and recently refurbished floodlights. Easily good enough for the National Conference League.

Most of the clubs in west Cumbria have good facilities with their own pitch and clubhouse. Ellenboroughs neighbours Maryport have a fantastic facility with large clubhouse, bar, function room, 4 changing rooms and a new 70m x 40m floodlit all weather - but just junior sides at present as they are another casualty of declining interest in playing the sport at open age level.

wath brow, Egremont, Hensingham, Seaton, lowca and Distington have all benefitted from substantial lottery funding, and Cockermouth play from grassmoor sports club which they share with the RU club, also lottery funded.

I don’t think the opportunity is there for clubs to source funding as they did in the old days, with sport England supporting community based projectsrather than individual clubs, which is a shame, as some of the clubs mentioned above will have had well over 400k each in funding to improve facilities 

Whenever I've seen these videos, and also when Reading played Swindon a couple of years ago, it usually takes a nice bit of play or a well-run line to breach the Swindon defence.  On the other side, they score most of theirs by barreling over opposing defenders.  If you can sit the oppo down whilst making sure they don't sit you down, you'll win most of your games.   Not a criticism, the best try of the bunch was the Swindon try out wide, but they'll eat you alive if you don't get your defence right.

5 hours ago, bbfaz said:

Whenever I've seen these videos, and also when Reading played Swindon a couple of years ago, it usually takes a nice bit of play or a well-run line to breach the Swindon defence.  On the other side, they score most of theirs by barreling over opposing defenders.  If you can sit the oppo down whilst making sure they don't sit you down, you'll win most of your games.   Not a criticism, the best try of the bunch was the Swindon try out wide, but they'll eat you alive if you don't get your defence right.

Our defence has definitely improved but so has our offense. While we enjoy creating and scoring "good" tries, if a strong run early in the tackle count breaks the line we'll take that too! 

Bath RL push current West of England Champions Swindon St. George close on the opening day of the season!

Bath Rugby League kicked off Round 1 of their season campaign with an away trip to last seasons Champions Swindon St George (SSG) in The West of England Pool A. The side have been preparing well in preseason with Head Coach Alex Burns taking charge and a final preseason fixture held last Tuesday against the current Army Lawson Cup Champions, the Royal Signals RL squad. 

It was the home side that kicked off and gave the visitors the first attacking set of the game, SSG showed some fearsome defence in the opening contest and on their returning attacking set showcased some speedy play at the tackle to release Prop Sam Collins who crashed over with Captain Conner Tomley adding the extras. 

Bath kicked off well and were soon pressing deep into the home sides half with strong carries from Prop Elliott Bowler and Captain Stevan Randall and were able to shift the ball wide through the hands of Mike Harrison and Morgan Lewis to put new signing Kieran Harvey over in the corner, Leigh Wheatley adding the kick.

Swindon St George always looked dangerous on the ball and threatened across the park, and began to find gaps in the Bath defence which had held strongly. Swindon scored a few tries in quick succession catching the visitors napping with Hooker Stewart Hannah and centre Florin Palcau crossing over. The whistle went for half time and Bath would go into the break 20-6 behind.

Half Time: Swindon St George RL 20 - 6

After a talk from the Head Coach Bath started the better of the two teams in the second half and continued to press into the SSG half, Fullback Ciaran Chester caused constant headaches for the home side as he ran from deep and broke multiple tackles  gaining some much needed territory. From the resulting plays and speed of the ball Prop Brandon Ball found a gap to sprint over for Bath's second try of the day, Wheatley adding the extras. 

Bath continued to look dangerous and carried well into the oppositions half but when SSG were given the opportunity they showcased why they were the current Champions and wasn't long until Fullback Josh Williams broke the defence to cross over. However the visitors continued to apply the pressure and with Fullback Chester breaking the line once again he was able to put Jamie Hall through the gap and the Centre stepped the last defender to score near the posts, Leigh Wheatley adding the kick.

In the last 10mins of the game Swindon St George looked for another score but would be held up against a strong Bath defence, however Bath were penalised and SSG took the opportunity for a kick at the sticks and take the score further from Bath's reach. In the dying minutes Bath were desperately looking to find a break for another score but time had run out and the final whistle was blown.

Full Time: Swindon St George RL 26 -18 Bath RL

Head Coach Alex Burns commented "Hugely proud of our performance against what we know is one of the best sides in the South West. In an immensely physical and demanding game, we fronted up throughout and with Ball in hand showed the danger we have right across the park. It's a testament to where we want to be that we were disappointed after the game knowing we let a chance of a victory slip by. Credit to Swindon St George RL though as their class and groundwork through pre-season told. This group of players for Bath RL has great potential going forward and the awareness to know where we need to improve if we want to be fighting for silverware come the end of the season. As a club we are aiming to build something special and sustainable over the coming years and for us this was a massive leap forward in the right direction"

On Saturday Bath RL will welcome Somerset Vikings RL to their home ground (based at Melksham RFC) in Round 2 of the West of England Pool A, kick off 2.30pm.

Bath Rugby League Squad 1: Chester 2: Wildman 3: Harrison 4: Sully 5: Warnock 6: Wheatley 7: Lewis 8: Bowler 9:Talbot 10: Ball 11: Taylor 12: Harvey 13: Randall (C) Subs: Noott, MacPherson, Dare, Culshaw, Hall.

The club are keen to strengthen the squad across the park, and are a great group of people to be associated with. The club are also hoping to supplement league fixtures with some development games to give anyone who wants to play Rugby League in the area the opportunity to do so. They still seek a number of player sponsors giving companies the opportunity to showcase their businesses via the clubs communications channels including social channels, website and press stories. There are also a number of other opportunities to partner with the club. If you are interested in playing, sponsoring, partnering or getting involved with the club in other way please contact Chris tel: 07810 552196 or email: info@bathrugbyleague.co.uk

The club train at Avonvale RFC in Bath, Thursday's 7pm, but this might be subject to change in line with team training plans week to week so please contact in advance.

The club work in partnership with York City Knights who play in league 1 so have the opportunity to offer players a pathway into the professional game.

Twitter: @BathRugbyLeague

Facebook: www.facebook.com/BathRugbyLeague 

Instagram: @bathrugbyleague_ 

West of England Fixtures - Saturday 19 May

Bath RL v Somerset Vikings 
Swindon St George A v Cheltenham Phoenix
All Golds v Forest Bulldogs 
Reading Raiders v Portsmouth Seahawks
Oxford Cavaliers v Southampton Spitfires 

No game for Swindon St George 1st XIII as Bristol Sonics have had to fold. 

Thanks for the updates,nice to see solid,competitive games.I was at Reading Uni in the late 70's,when they first started talking about rugby league.A collegue at the time was Keith Hogg,who is now Chairman?! of Scottish rugby league.

57 minutes ago, From the Woo said:

Just read the post again, What's happened with Bristol??? That's not good news at all.

That is surprising and disappointing. Not good with the proposed merger of All Golds and Oxford to Bristol next year

1 hour ago, From the Woo said:

Just read the post again, What's happened with Bristol??? That's not good news at all.

No idea about actual details but, as someone on the outside looking in, you could see the decline from what they were to what's happened. I texted one of the committee who said he hoped the Sonics can come back but he probably won't be involved.

As you said, not good! 

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

No idea about actual details but, as someone on the outside looking in, you could see the decline from what they were to what's happened. I texted one of the committee who said he hoped the Sonics can come back but he probably won't be involved.

As you said, not good! 

That would be me I assume Sir :)

It is a sad day and as you say I am stepping back from the club for the foreseeable future. I'm exhausted and burnt out after 16 years.

The issues the Sonics have are deep-rooted and will take time to solve. We believed we would be able to get through this season, but we just don't have enough committed players. There are seven Bristol-based lads at the All Golds (don't get me started on that subject), one at Swindon, a handful at Bath and a few down the road in Somerset. With access to these players we may well have survived this season. 

That said, the club's problems were not the fault of others. It was a combination of volunteer burnout, financial issues and a lack of player commitment. Some of those who left pre-season, or at the back end of last year, were great servants. Sadly those players decided against fighting on and helping the club, which is their call. There are still a handful of volunteers - including our founder, Phil Cole - who are keen to rebuild so hopefully this won't be the end. 

We'll see. All community clubs go through lows - just like at Swindon, who struggled for years but are now a model club that others in the region aspire to. They've done things the right way, unlike one particular individual who seems to cause havoc in the region continuously but manages to con people into thinking he's a champion of development.  He was warned that his actions would have consequences but didn't listen. Quelle surprise :)

Bristol Sonics Rugby League

2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions

2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists

2008 RLC Team Of The Year

2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions

www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

That is surprising and disappointing. Not good with the proposed merger of All Golds and Oxford to Bristol next year

As far as I know that's dead in the water. There wouldn't be All Golds mark 2 in Gloucester if it was happening. The people behind the All Golds approached the Sonics last year and we discussed working with them, but our belief was that it would be detrimental to the entire region. Our suggestion was that AGs players/those with links to the Uni be encouraged to play for their local clubs around the region in order to strengthen the entire league. Another club official from elsewhere in the region suggested the same but his advice was also ignored. 

www.bristolsonics.com

10 minutes ago, West Country Eagle said:

As far as I know that's dead in the water. There wouldn't be All Golds mark 2 in Gloucester if it was happening. The people behind the All Golds approached the Sonics last year and we discussed working with them, but our belief was that it would be detrimental to the entire region. Our suggestion was that AGs players/those with links to the Uni be encouraged to play for their local clubs around the region in order to strengthen the entire league. Another club official from elsewhere in the region suggested the same but his advice was also ignored. 

I thought the All Golds mark 2 was just the uni setup?

So the Bristol League 1 entry for 2019 is dead in the water?...................Shame there's not going to be any semi-pro team in the South West

26 minutes ago, West Country Eagle said:

...unlike one particular individual who seems to cause havoc in the region continuously but manages to con people into thinking he's a champion of development.  He was warned that his actions would have consequences but didn't listen. 

Now I wonder who that could be... :dry:

Hope to see you about mate :good:

As a former All Golds season ticket holder I was excited to see the name back and to go to see my first game of the season tomorrow, both the new club and at this level. This sad news and reading the posts above definitely puts another spin on it. 

The AG/OX merger was never and is never going to happen.

It has been mentioned on twitter about aggressive recruitment by the All Golds, excuse my ignorance but what can clubs offer that would make a player decide to go elsewhere?

I do hope that this isn't the end of the Sonics 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

I thought the All Golds mark 2 was just the uni setup?

So the Bristol League 1 entry for 2019 is dead in the water?...................Shame there's not going to be any semi-pro team in the South West

It's not officially dead but seems to be from the various things I've heard. All Golds Mark 2 is not just the Uni set up at all - some Glos Warriors players plus people recruited from elsewhere in the region. Some did play for their CLS side a few years ago but before and since played for other clubs (such as the Sonics, where quite a few came through our junior set up).

www.bristolsonics.com

57 minutes ago, From the Woo said:

As a former All Golds season ticket holder I was excited to see the name back and to go to see my first game of the season tomorrow, both the new club and at this level. This sad news and reading the posts above definitely puts another spin on it. 

The AG/OX merger was never and is never going to happen.

It has been mentioned on twitter about aggressive recruitment by the All Golds, excuse my ignorance but what can clubs offer that would make a player decide to go elsewhere?

I do hope that this isn't the end of the Sonics 

Well, as far as I understand players (some who joined the All Golds, some who turned them down) were offered various incentives including playing at a higher level next season. One coach in the region with good links there claims players told him they were being offered match fees and a "big bonus" for winning the West of England League. This may just be Chinese whispers and I can't vouch for its reliability, though this particular contact has a very good relationship with quite a few in the current All Golds squad.

Like I previously said, the Sonics problems were not wholly down to the re-emergence of the All Golds so they're not to blame for what has happened, but the way they've been operating played a part in tipping the club over the edge.

www.bristolsonics.com

Archived