Regional leagues 2018

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/24/2018 at 6:07 PM, Impartial Observer said:

If you mean Reading they are not due to play them in the league, they could meet in play offs 

It's a two stage league plus playoffs.

Took in Boothtown Tigers today 36 12 v West Hull A

Both teams has full squads and really enjoyable. Stood on the West Hull side of the pitch for the shade and they certainly thought they did not get the best of the refs decisions

Limited facilities but ground of character>  Standing on one side, you would not realise you were five mins from the town centre. Standing by the dressing rooms the ground is overlooked by 15 storey tower block.

Parking outside requires good handbrake as road is at least 1 in 4 gradient and seems steeper walking up. Maybe 100 in attendance

I wish there was some way to entice more, even on here to these games. As always no admission charge

However had to arrive early as usual difficulties of confirming game on, in case needed to rush elsewhere    

Saturday 2 June

West of England Fixtures

Somerset Vikings v Swindon St George

Cheltenham Phoenix v Forest Bulldogs 

All Golds v Swindon St George A 

Southampton Spitfires v Portsmouth Seahawks 

Reading Raiders v Oxford Cavaliers 

However if you're in Devon on Saturday, you might want to get to Newton Abbot as the South West are having a Magic Weekend/Day

_20180528_193417.JPG

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Not good news, just heard that the game on Saturday between Milton Keynes Wolves and St Albans Centurions has been called off because Milton Keynes have withdrawn from the East Rugby League.  Don't know any other details.

Update - Bit of good news, St Albans are going to play a friendly against Bath on Saturday - at Oxford.  Apparently Cents and Bath have both been let down and have decided to meet half way between the two towns, 60 miles travelling each, where I believe Oxford Cavaliers play.

poster05.jpg

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Pity about MK and Bristol, but good on St Albans and Bath, both teams willing to travel to get a game.

WEST OF ENGLAND RESULTS 

Somerset Vikings 38-28 Swindon St George

All Golds 100-0 Swindon St George A 

Southampton Spitfires beat Portsmouth Seahawks*

Reading Raiders 24-36 Oxford Cavaliers

SOUTH WEST RESULTS

Teignbridge Trojans 40-52 Saltash Essayons

Tarka Storm 30-66 Cornish Rebels

Exeter Centurions 62-40 Dorset County Giants

*don't know score

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

1 hour ago, groundhopper said:

Went to the game at Reading

35 mins it was 24 to 4 to Reading, followed by 36 unanswered points

Now seen every team in East, Midlands, Wales and London. Still need a few home venues however 

Bedford have a new ground too, so another for the list.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

St Albans and Bath RL played each other on Saturday at Oxford Cavaliers ground, as both teams had been let down with their league games.  Both teams had to travel 60+ miles to get there ( and an accident and road closure did not help.)  Although the game was a bit one sided (Cents won 60 - 4) it was a great game to watch with both side playing in the true spirit of the game.  Both teams had first timers and players of little experience playing, but the game was enjoyable all the same.  And thanks to Oxford Cavaliers for the use of their facilities.

IMG_4480A.jpg

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

17 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Bedford have a new ground too, so another for the list.  

Ahead of the game, went to the charity game against Luton last month

nice clubhouse and modern facilities, better than sharing with RU

Not been to Luton apart from years back when at Stockwood Park so East of England Cup a possible

On 5/26/2018 at 6:37 PM, Marauder said:

Upton 22 v 24 East Hull, scrappy game of contrasting styles - I actually set out to watch Bentley but when I got there the game was off - why was there so many games of today ?

Saw Upton at Lindley Swifts last Saturday. Also a scrappy game - both teams conceded far too many penalties. Swifts won 56-20 (10 tries to three). Crowd of about 90. Pretty much confirmed my view RL was a better spectacle 30 years ago. Too much one-out rugby and (even worse) a lot of 'cheap yards' running from dummy half. A real shame Swifts' recent switch to a summer season resulted in the demise of Birchencliffe Cricket Club, who had played at the site since the 1950s. With the cricketers ousted, why don't Swifts rotate their pitch 90 degrees to make it longer? The present pitch, constrained by banks at each end, has tiny in goal areas.

7 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Saw Upton at Lindley Swifts last Saturday. Also a scrappy game - both teams conceded far too many penalties. Swifts won 56-20 (10 tries to three). Crowd of about 90. Pretty much confirmed my view RL was a better spectacle 30 years ago. Too much one-out rugby and (even worse) a lot of 'cheap yards' running from dummy half. A real shame Swifts' recent switch to a summer season resulted in the demise of Birchencliffe Cricket Club, who had played at the site since the 1950s. With the cricketers ousted, why don't Swifts rotate their pitch 90 degrees to make it longer? The present pitch, constrained by banks at each end, has tiny in goal areas.

I went to watch Bentley v Siddal Academy, two well drilled sides with Bentley being a much bigger and older side which told as the game went on, however Siddal never once took a backwards step and played for the full 80 minutes, a decent crowd turned up including  many juniors from Bentley'.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 6/11/2018 at 1:00 PM, Saint 1 said:

Another good win for Nottingham Outlaws in Yorkshire Premier on Saturday, winning 36-32 away to Lindley. Tough performance going down to 2 interchanges pretty quickly in the first half (and that's with some lads playing on injured). Currently sitting 4th with 6 of our next 8 games at home! 

Why is Saturday's home game with Upton now showing as P-P?

I have to be over in Halifax tomorrow. Over the weekend, I noticed King Cross Park had a YML home fixture with Boothtown Terriers. Great, I thought - a rugby league game to watch in the evening before heading back home. Surprise, surprise, it's now showing as P-P.

No wonder, most weekends, given the choice between watching cricket or amateur rugby league, I opt for the former. At least cricketers can be relied upon to turn up!

Archived