Regional leagues 2018

WEST OF ENGLAND FIXTURES 

Saturday 16 June 

Cheltenham Phoenix v Swindon St George A

Somerset Vikings v Bath RL

Southampton Spitfires v Oxford Cavaliers 

Portsmouth Seahawks v Reading Raiders 

Forest Bulldogs have pulled out of the League ?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/12/2018 at 8:54 PM, Saint 1 said:

Upton can't get a team out. And so it begins (again)...

Thanks for the explanation. I saw Upton at Lindley recently. That afternoon, Upton's team featured a number of teenagers brought in to make up the numbers. One of their coaches said the club had player availability issues because of the summer season.

4 hours ago, topcentre21 said:

upton seem to have plenty for home games.

away games are the issue wether its summer or winter

If that's true, what's the point of (the likes of) Upton being in any sort of league? Why don't they just play endless home friendlies, and have done with it, rather than letting down opposition teams? Most other sports (eg football, cricket, rugby union), at a similar level to regional amateur rugby league, usually manage to complete a season of scheduled fixtures without any problems. Why does amateur rugby league find it so difficult? Unfulfilled fixtures/numerous postponements make ARL look ridiculous. I feel sorry for clubs like Nottingham, who, outside the heartlands, are trying to build something lasting, yet come up against this kind of brick wall repeatedly, mainly because the opposition can't be arsed to travel 50 miles. It must be completely disheartening.

4 hours ago, topcentre21 said:

upton seem to have plenty for home games.

away games are the issue wether its summer or winter

Only game Upton's first team failed to play I believe was Queens away and we know the reason why

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

Only game Upton's first team failed to play I believe was Queens away and we know the reason why

When I played Yorkshire league, Upton was always one of the worst teams for not traveling to play.

They'd always play there home games though.

Today's forecast weather was unpromising for cricket, so I opted to watch a second Yorkshire League game in a fortnight. Saw Queensbury pip hosts Allerton Bywater Bulldogs 26-22 to maintain their 100 per cent record from seven outings. Bury led 10-0 by the 22nd minute but trailed 14-22 after an hour. Converted tries in the 68th and 71st minutes saw the visitors to victory. For long spells, Allerton Bywater were the better side. An exchange of punches (not the first or the last) in the 27th minute resulted in a player from each team being red-carded. Very high error count (there was a desperate need, on both teams, for someone with a bit of composure), an undercurrent of ill-feeling and some eccentric refereeing - not, I'd suggest, the greatest advert for amateur rugby league. But at least it was close!

31 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Today's forecast weather was unpromising for cricket, so I opted to watch a second Yorkshire League game in a fortnight. Saw Queensbury pip hosts Allerton Bywater Bulldogs 26-22 to maintain their 100 per cent record from seven outings. Bury led 10-0 by the 22nd minute but trailed 14-22 after an hour. Converted tries in the 68th and 71st minutes saw the visitors to victory. For long spells, Allerton Bywater were the better side. An exchange of punches (not the first or the last) in the 27th minute resulted in a player from each team being red-carded. Very high error count (there was a desperate need, on both teams, for someone with a bit of composure), an undercurrent of ill-feeling and some eccentric refereeing - not, I'd suggest, the greatest advert for amateur rugby league. But at least it was close!

Allerton are a good set of lads in the winter, they're normally well drilled and consistent.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:54 PM, Saint 1 said:

Upton can't get a team out. And so it begins (again)...

Another example yesterday. Acquaintance of mine went to Sherburn Bears (YML Div 4), only to discover opponents Worth Village simply didn't bother turning up. It makes rugby league look like a joke sport.

A Queensbury coach I spoke to at Allerton Bywater yesterday was moaning about the daftness of amateur rugby league being playing in summer, when everyone, in his view, has better things to do. I hear this everywhere I go in the amateur game, though mostly outside the NCL. How long before ARL ceases to exist below the NCL? Dare one say it: how long before RL ceases to exist below Super League?

WEST OF ENGLAND RESULTS 

Saturday 16 June 

Cheltenham Phoenix 36-36 Swindon St George A 

Somerset Vikings 34-26 Bath RL

Southampton Spitfires 4-30 Oxford Cavaliers 

Can't find the Portsmouth Seahawks v Reading Raiders result. Hope it happened 

WEST OF ENGLAND FIXTURES 

Saturday 23 June 

Oxford Cavaliers v Reading Raiders 

Portsmouth Seahawks v Southampton Spitfires 

DOUBLE HEADER AT SWINDON 

Swindon St George A v All Golds

Swindon St George v Somerset Vikings 

First game kicks off at 1.00 

Mr Rhino, you were slightly ahead on that announcement.  Your posting was a good few hours ahead of the All Golds being asked about a change in kick off time.  As a club Director, and the person responsible for the admin side of the club, this was the first I had heard of it.  Having said that, I have since had a pleasant text exchange with Swindon St George, and can confirm that the first game is taking place at 1.00 which is slightly earlier. 

Thanks though for your postings on the West of England League, it's much appreciated, and is often easier to find fixtures/results here than on RFL website.

1 hour ago, Styx said:

Mr Rhino, you were slightly ahead on that announcement.  Your posting was a good few hours ahead of the All Golds being asked about a change in kick off time.  As a club Director, and the person responsible for the admin side of the club, this was the first I had heard of it.  Having said that, I have since had a pleasant text exchange with Swindon St George, and can confirm that the first game is taking place at 1.00 which is slightly earlier. 

Thanks though for your postings on the West of England League, it's much appreciated, and is often easier to find fixtures/results here than on RFL website.

I like to be ahead of things ?

See you Saturday 

On 6/17/2018 at 11:03 AM, Hopping Mad said:

Another example yesterday. Acquaintance of mine went to Sherburn Bears (YML Div 4), only to discover opponents Worth Village simply didn't bother turning up. It makes rugby league look like a joke sport.

A Queensbury coach I spoke to at Allerton Bywater yesterday was moaning about the daftness of amateur rugby league being playing in summer, when everyone, in his view, has better things to do. I hear this everywhere I go in the amateur game, though mostly outside the NCL. How long before ARL ceases to exist below the NCL? Dare one say it: how long before RL ceases to exist below Super League?

I was talking to some people Saturday and they said exactly the same and they are associated with an NCL club and were pro summer, unfortunately things aren’t going to change, my son plays NCL he has something on for the next 6 weeks and will miss 3 games and he ain’t taken a holiday this year.

Someone even said the commitment isn’t there and we signed up for the season I said yes but there were no festivals etc back then, and not many took their holidays at that time of the year, with a natural break at Christmas ? 

But let’s not be negative and I look forward to all these new clubs and players coming into the game as was predicted

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:03 AM, Hopping Mad said:

You get the same in the NCL, they just dare not say anything in public and the standard has dropped at most NCL clubs because of players not being available week in and week out and with a unlimited squad members they can sign any half decent regional player who'll think he's made the grade

"Yes a few teams seem to be doing OK in the summer but most are struggling"

I wish everyone would be honest so we could get a true reading of the amateur game.

I am involved with an NCL club and I can tell you most clubs seem to be struggling for numbers and committment ,it is very rare for most clubs to have the same team two week running. Think most club coaches and administrators will tell you this. There are a few exceptions and well done to them.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:00 PM, johnmatrix said:

When I played Yorkshire league, Upton was always one of the worst teams for not traveling to play.

They'd always play there home games though.

I played in the same division as Upton for so many years I can't remember and  can not recall them blobbing on away games but that was a few years ago so I'm not sure of their recent history - I think they're just another club dipping their toe into the summer after looking over the fence for a while.

On 6/18/2018 at 7:28 AM, Wiltshire Rhino said:

WEST OF ENGLAND FIXTURES 

Saturday 23 June 

Oxford Cavaliers v Reading Raiders 

Portsmouth Seahawks v Southampton Spitfires 

Looking at the league table after 5 games Oxford ahead of Reading 5 wins to 4 but Reading have about 40 better points difference so if Reading win this they go top of the league - not bad for a pretty new team. Hear they have plenty of players as well

21 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Looking at the league table after 5 games Oxford ahead of Reading 5 wins to 4 but Reading have about 40 better points difference so if Reading win this they go top of the league - not bad for a pretty new team. Hear they have plenty of players as well

Next week the league splits into... 

All Golds, Swindon St George, Oxford, Reading & Somerset (aiming for Grand Final) 

and

Cheltenham, Swindon St George A, Bath, Southampton & Portsmouth (aiming for the Plate Final) 

Next Saturday Reading travel to play Swindon St George, so I'll see how well they're doing. From a selfish point of view, hopefully not too well next week. 

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I played in the same division as Upton for so many years I can't remember and  can not recall them blobbing on away games but that was a few years ago so I'm not sure of their recent history - I think they're just another club dipping their toe into the summer after looking over the fence for a while.

i think from speaking to lads i know they expected to be challenging for honours in summer but things havent gone to plan.

so reading between lines theyve done what afew other teams have done and play till theres nothing to play for then jump to other season.

8 hours ago, topcentre21 said:

i think from speaking to lads i know they expected to be challenging for honours in summer but things havent gone to plan.

so reading between lines theyve done what afew other teams have done and play till theres nothing to play for then jump to other season.

A lot of teams are doing the same in both seasons, I think this is the first season Upton have dipped their toe into a serious summer season and it doesn't seem to be working, just like it didn't for Toll Bar.

We had a good 6 or 7 seasons winning something every season but in the end concerts, weddings and other distractions started to take it's toll even though we never failed to fulfil our fixtures the writing was on the wall when we had 40 to 50 training and on three occasions we had 14 turn up for away games.

i know games in decline but i feel rfl n barla need to work together and say enoughs enough if a team drop out of winter they cant enter summer for a year and vice versa if a team drops out summer cant go back to winter for a year.

lets teams choose which suits them best and maje them commit if at end of season a team from summer or winter has completed all fixture and wish to chamge to either summer or winter then fine but if they drop out once there no silverware on offer im sorry no entry its making it hard for commited teams and not helping the game at all

2 hours ago, topcentre21 said:

i know games in decline but i feel rfl n barla need to work together and say enoughs enough if a team drop out of winter they cant enter summer for a year and vice versa if a team drops out summer cant go back to winter for a year.

lets teams choose which suits them best and maje them commit if at end of season a team from summer or winter has completed all fixture and wish to chamge to either summer or winter then fine but if they drop out once there no silverware on offer im sorry no entry its making it hard for commited teams and not helping the game at all

BARLA have tried working with the RFL on a few occasions but they have shafted BARLA on many occasions, the RFL can't be fully trusted, at the last meeting I went to for the Pennine the clubs wanted to break away from the RFL control.

8 of the 17 YML fixtures postponed, I suspect not all those will take place what a sorry state of affairs

life blood of open age is Under 18, remember we used to have an under 17 league in Yorkshire 9 fixtures in Lancashire, 7 in Yorkshire, so why did the RFL postpone their review of the 12-18 age groups

Archived