WEST OF ENGLAND FIXTURES 

Saturday 30June 

Super 5's

Swindon St George v Reading Raiders 

Somerset Vikings v Oxford Cavaliers 

All Golds - Bye Weekend 

Championship 5's

Bath RL v Cheltenham Phoenix 

Portsmouth Seahawks v Southampton Spitfires (could be other way round) 

Swindon St George A - Bye Weekend 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Maybe more midweek fixtures offer a solution to amateur rugby league's problem with Saturday cry-offs. This evening, I drove over to Sherburn-in-Elmet to watch Sherburn Bears take on Yorkshire League Fourth Division leaders Crofton Sports. Sherburn had 17 players and Crofton the maximum permissible 20. Impressive! In balmy conditions, and on a pitch like concrete, Sherburn led 10-6 at half-time before Crofton extended to six games their 100 per cent start to the season by running in four second half tries to win 22-10. Bears finished the game with 11 players after a sin-binning and a sending-off in the last 10 minutes. There was a sin-binning apiece before the break. A highly physical contest! The crowd at Eversley Park (a very pleasant setting in an otherwise dreary village) peaked at 129.

12 hours ago, Defender1 said:

Not trying to pour water on a hard pitch but some of these games would be called off if played in January or February was the test for the pitch to take a stud

Got to agree with you there. As a player, I much preferred summer to winter rugby but some pitches during drought conditions were not fit for purpose and downright dangerous. Clubs should have a duty of care to ensure they are watered in advance. 

12 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Maybe more midweek fixtures offer a solution to amateur rugby league's problem with Saturday cry-offs. This evening, I drove over to Sherburn-in-Elmet to watch Sherburn Bears take on Yorkshire League Fourth Division leaders Crofton Sports. Sherburn had 17 players and Crofton the maximum permissible 20. Impressive! In balmy conditions, and on a pitch like concrete, Sherburn led 10-6 at half-time before Crofton extended to six games their 100 per cent start to the season by running in four second half tries to win 22-10. Bears finished the game with 11 players after a sin-binning and a sending-off in the last 10 minutes. There was a sin-binning apiece before the break. A highly physical contest! The crowd at Eversley Park (a very pleasant setting in an otherwise dreary village) peaked at 129.

I like the idea of some midweek evening games, a good idea to alleviate some of the weekend unavailability, although you’d still get some players not being able to make it for work/family reasons, you’d probably get a lower dropout from other activities 

5 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Got to agree with you there. As a player, I much preferred summer to winter rugby but some pitches during drought conditions were not fit for purpose and downright dangerous. Clubs should have a duty of care to ensure they are watered in advance. 

Not always an option - commercial users usually have to pay for water by the '000 liters and you  have to get an abstraction licence to be allowed to drill your own borehole. I understand what you are saying but watering is not a zero cost option

10 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Not always an option - commercial users usually have to pay for water by the '000 liters and you  have to get an abstraction licence to be allowed to drill your own borehole. I understand what you are saying but watering is not a zero cost option

I’m not saying it’s a zero cost option, I’m saying it should be a mandatory requirement to ensure games take place in times of drought, when the rock hard nature of some pitches make them hazardous and significantly increase the risk of injury 

3 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I’m not saying it’s a zero cost option, I’m saying it should be a mandatory requirement to ensure games take place in times of drought, when the rock hard nature of some pitches make them hazardous and significantly increase the risk of injury 

We've had the local fire service come down and water our pitch in the past, two engine loads never even touched it.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

23 minutes ago, Marauder said:

We've had the local fire service come down and water our pitch in the past, two engine loads never even touched it.

I grew up on a farm  and we had what we called 3 day fields due to clay - too dry one day just right the next and bogs the following 

Whether moderate watering will make any difference is a function of soil type and if you have the wrong soil there is pretty much nothing you can do at sensible cost

2 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

I grew up on a farm  and we had what we called 3 day fields due to clay - too dry one day just right the next and bogs the following 

Whether moderate watering will make any difference is a function of soil type and if you have the wrong soil there is pretty much nothing you can do at sensible cost

Play in the winter lol

I very concerned about the state of pitches and the temperature this weekend, the league committee's should use a bit of commonsense and think about player welfare. After all these players are amateur and need to work Monday's. Hopefully only bumps and scrapes nothing more serious, sorry to say fingers crossed.

10 minutes ago, chisholm said:

I very concerned about the state of pitches and the temperature this weekend, the league committee's should use a bit of commonsense and think about player welfare. After all these players are amateur and need to work Monday's. Hopefully only bumps and scrapes nothing more serious, sorry to say fingers crossed.

Our pitch is looking brilliant at the moment, we've got a committee member who recently retired and he spends most days down on the Miners welfare ground looking after our little patch.

8 hours ago, Marauder said:

Our pitch is looking brilliant at the moment, we've got a committee member who recently retired and he spends most days down on the Miners welfare ground looking after our little patch.

Good stuff, ours is also looked after a very helpful and capable volunteer. Unfortunately our pitch is superb for draining in winter but we pay the price in these conditions. Like most clubs we are on a water meter and it is financially impossible to utilise a sprinkler type system.

9 hours ago, bazza_merged said:

you can play on Thursday night and go to festivals/stag dos on the weekend

What if you've got 75% of your team working away like we do and don't live in an area surrounded by other rugby league playing villages like Sherburn.

11 hours ago, chisholm said:

Good stuff, ours is also looked after a very helpful and capable volunteer. Unfortunately our pitch is superb for draining in winter but we pay the price in these conditions. Like most clubs we are on a water meter and it is financially impossible to utilise a sprinkler type system.

We've been working hard on our ground for the last three years or so, it's actually looking a lot better than the after photo I've posted (It was taken two years ago) I'll post some up to date photo's in the next couple of months when we get a 75 seater stand erected.

ground improvements 2.jpg

ground improvement 1.jpg

Played there when the pitchside barriers looked like that, your boys were always a good set. Always had to front up and be prepared for a physical battle against your mob, not in a dirty sense though.

How strongng is the junior set up in Donny area now? 

16 hours ago, johnmatrix said:

Played there when the pitchside barriers looked like that, your boys were always a good set. Always had to front up and be prepared for a physical battle against your mob, not in a dirty sense though.

How strongng is the junior set up in Donny area now? 

Moorends have the weakest junior set up by far but we are addressing that aggressively now we've put our open-age back in order after a little internal management problem that had us on our knees three years ago, Bentley and Toll Bar have strong juniors with both having many kids from our area in their set up's, both Bentley & Toll Bar don't have any real direct competition from a union side like we do with Thornensians.

Archived