Sign in to follow this  
kev p

Regional leagues 2018

On 6/17/2018 at 10:22 PM, Wiltshire Rhino said:

WEST OF ENGLAND RESULTS 

Can't find the Portsmouth Seahawks v Reading Raiders result. Hope it happened 

I heard it did happen and Reading were easy winners but not what the score was

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:00 PM, johnmatrix said:

When I played Yorkshire league, Upton was always one of the worst teams for not traveling to play.

They'd always play there home games though.

I played in the same division as Upton for so many years I can't remember and  can not recall them blobbing on away games but that was a few years ago so I'm not sure of their recent history - I think they're just another club dipping their toe into the summer after looking over the fence for a while.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 6/18/2018 at 7:28 AM, Wiltshire Rhino said:

WEST OF ENGLAND FIXTURES 

Saturday 23 June 

Oxford Cavaliers v Reading Raiders 

Portsmouth Seahawks v Southampton Spitfires 

Looking at the league table after 5 games Oxford ahead of Reading 5 wins to 4 but Reading have about 40 better points difference so if Reading win this they go top of the league - not bad for a pretty new team. Hear they have plenty of players as well

21 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Looking at the league table after 5 games Oxford ahead of Reading 5 wins to 4 but Reading have about 40 better points difference so if Reading win this they go top of the league - not bad for a pretty new team. Hear they have plenty of players as well

Next week the league splits into... 

All Golds, Swindon St George, Oxford, Reading & Somerset (aiming for Grand Final) 

and

Cheltenham, Swindon St George A, Bath, Southampton & Portsmouth (aiming for the Plate Final) 

Next Saturday Reading travel to play Swindon St George, so I'll see how well they're doing. From a selfish point of view, hopefully not too well next week. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I played in the same division as Upton for so many years I can't remember and  can not recall them blobbing on away games but that was a few years ago so I'm not sure of their recent history - I think they're just another club dipping their toe into the summer after looking over the fence for a while.

i think from speaking to lads i know they expected to be challenging for honours in summer but things havent gone to plan.

so reading between lines theyve done what afew other teams have done and play till theres nothing to play for then jump to other season.

8 hours ago, topcentre21 said:

i think from speaking to lads i know they expected to be challenging for honours in summer but things havent gone to plan.

so reading between lines theyve done what afew other teams have done and play till theres nothing to play for then jump to other season.

A lot of teams are doing the same in both seasons, I think this is the first season Upton have dipped their toe into a serious summer season and it doesn't seem to be working, just like it didn't for Toll Bar.

We had a good 6 or 7 seasons winning something every season but in the end concerts, weddings and other distractions started to take it's toll even though we never failed to fulfil our fixtures the writing was on the wall when we had 40 to 50 training and on three occasions we had 14 turn up for away games.

i know games in decline but i feel rfl n barla need to work together and say enoughs enough if a team drop out of winter they cant enter summer for a year and vice versa if a team drops out summer cant go back to winter for a year.

lets teams choose which suits them best and maje them commit if at end of season a team from summer or winter has completed all fixture and wish to chamge to either summer or winter then fine but if they drop out once there no silverware on offer im sorry no entry its making it hard for commited teams and not helping the game at all

• Like 2

2 hours ago, topcentre21 said:

i know games in decline but i feel rfl n barla need to work together and say enoughs enough if a team drop out of winter they cant enter summer for a year and vice versa if a team drops out summer cant go back to winter for a year.

lets teams choose which suits them best and maje them commit if at end of season a team from summer or winter has completed all fixture and wish to chamge to either summer or winter then fine but if they drop out once there no silverware on offer im sorry no entry its making it hard for commited teams and not helping the game at all

BARLA have tried working with the RFL on a few occasions but they have shafted BARLA on many occasions, the RFL can't be fully trusted, at the last meeting I went to for the Pennine the clubs wanted to break away from the RFL control.

• Confused 1

8 of the 17 YML fixtures postponed, I suspect not all those will take place what a sorry state of affairs

life blood of open age is Under 18, remember we used to have an under 17 league in Yorkshire 9 fixtures in Lancashire, 7 in Yorkshire, so why did the RFL postpone their review of the 12-18 age groups

Edited by Defender1

WEST OF ENGLAND RESULTS 

Saturday 23 June 

Oxford Cavaliers 24-30 Reading Raiders 

Portsmouth Seahawks ?-? Southampton Spitfires 

Swindon St George A 28-52 All Golds

Swindon St George 32-32 Somerset Vikings  

WEST OF ENGLAND FIXTURES 

Saturday 30June 

Super 5's

Swindon St George v Reading Raiders 

Somerset Vikings v Oxford Cavaliers 

All Golds - Bye Weekend 

Championship 5's

Bath RL v Cheltenham Phoenix 

Portsmouth Seahawks v Southampton Spitfires (could be other way round) 

Swindon St George A - Bye Weekend 

Maybe more midweek fixtures offer a solution to amateur rugby league's problem with Saturday cry-offs. This evening, I drove over to Sherburn-in-Elmet to watch Sherburn Bears take on Yorkshire League Fourth Division leaders Crofton Sports. Sherburn had 17 players and Crofton the maximum permissible 20. Impressive! In balmy conditions, and on a pitch like concrete, Sherburn led 10-6 at half-time before Crofton extended to six games their 100 per cent start to the season by running in four second half tries to win 22-10. Bears finished the game with 11 players after a sin-binning and a sending-off in the last 10 minutes. There was a sin-binning apiece before the break. A highly physical contest! The crowd at Eversley Park (a very pleasant setting in an otherwise dreary village) peaked at 129.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Defender1 said:

Not trying to pour water on a hard pitch but some of these games would be called off if played in January or February was the test for the pitch to take a stud

Got to agree with you there. As a player, I much preferred summer to winter rugby but some pitches during drought conditions were not fit for purpose and downright dangerous. Clubs should have a duty of care to ensure they are watered in advance. 

12 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Maybe more midweek fixtures offer a solution to amateur rugby league's problem with Saturday cry-offs. This evening, I drove over to Sherburn-in-Elmet to watch Sherburn Bears take on Yorkshire League Fourth Division leaders Crofton Sports. Sherburn had 17 players and Crofton the maximum permissible 20. Impressive! In balmy conditions, and on a pitch like concrete, Sherburn led 10-6 at half-time before Crofton extended to six games their 100 per cent start to the season by running in four second half tries to win 22-10. Bears finished the game with 11 players after a sin-binning and a sending-off in the last 10 minutes. There was a sin-binning apiece before the break. A highly physical contest! The crowd at Eversley Park (a very pleasant setting in an otherwise dreary village) peaked at 129.

I like the idea of some midweek evening games, a good idea to alleviate some of the weekend unavailability, although you’d still get some players not being able to make it for work/family reasons, you’d probably get a lower dropout from other activities 

5 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Got to agree with you there. As a player, I much preferred summer to winter rugby but some pitches during drought conditions were not fit for purpose and downright dangerous. Clubs should have a duty of care to ensure they are watered in advance. 

Not always an option - commercial users usually have to pay for water by the '000 liters and you  have to get an abstraction licence to be allowed to drill your own borehole. I understand what you are saying but watering is not a zero cost option

10 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Not always an option - commercial users usually have to pay for water by the '000 liters and you  have to get an abstraction licence to be allowed to drill your own borehole. I understand what you are saying but watering is not a zero cost option

I’m not saying it’s a zero cost option, I’m saying it should be a mandatory requirement to ensure games take place in times of drought, when the rock hard nature of some pitches make them hazardous and significantly increase the risk of injury 

3 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I’m not saying it’s a zero cost option, I’m saying it should be a mandatory requirement to ensure games take place in times of drought, when the rock hard nature of some pitches make them hazardous and significantly increase the risk of injury 

We've had the local fire service come down and water our pitch in the past, two engine loads never even touched it.

23 minutes ago, Marauder said:

We've had the local fire service come down and water our pitch in the past, two engine loads never even touched it.

I grew up on a farm  and we had what we called 3 day fields due to clay - too dry one day just right the next and bogs the following 

Whether moderate watering will make any difference is a function of soil type and if you have the wrong soil there is pretty much nothing you can do at sensible cost

2 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

I grew up on a farm  and we had what we called 3 day fields due to clay - too dry one day just right the next and bogs the following 

Whether moderate watering will make any difference is a function of soil type and if you have the wrong soil there is pretty much nothing you can do at sensible cost

Play in the winter lol

I very concerned about the state of pitches and the temperature this weekend, the league committee's should use a bit of commonsense and think about player welfare. After all these players are amateur and need to work Monday's. Hopefully only bumps and scrapes nothing more serious, sorry to say fingers crossed.

10 minutes ago, chisholm said:

I very concerned about the state of pitches and the temperature this weekend, the league committee's should use a bit of commonsense and think about player welfare. After all these players are amateur and need to work Monday's. Hopefully only bumps and scrapes nothing more serious, sorry to say fingers crossed.

Our pitch is looking brilliant at the moment, we've got a committee member who recently retired and he spends most days down on the Miners welfare ground looking after our little patch.

• Like 2