• New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 13 points

This poll is closed to new votes

New Zealand v Tonga 

Waikato Stadium, Hamilton, 5pm Saturday (3pm AEDT)

New Zealand

1 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3 Dean Whare
4 Brad Takairangi
5 Jordan Rapana
6 Kodi Nikorima
7 Shaun Johnson
8 Martin Taupau
9 Thomas Leuluai
10 Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
11 Simon Mannering
12 Joseph Tapine
13 Adam Blair

14 Nelson Asofa-Solomona
15 Russell Packer
16 Isaac Liu
17 Danny Levi

18 Kenny Bromwich
19 Te Maire Martin
20 Elijah Taylor
21 Peta Hiku 

Tonga

1 William Hopoate
2 Daniel Tupou
3 Michael Jennings
4 Konrad Hurrell
5 David Fusitua
6 Tuimoala Lolohea
7 Mafoa'aeata Hingano
8 Andrew Fifita
9 Sione Katoa
10 Sio Siua Taukeiaho
11 Manu Ma'u
12 Sika Manu (c)
13 Jason Taumalolo

14 Siliva Havili
15 Sam Moa
16 Peni Terepo
17 Ben Murdoch-Masila

18 Mahe Fonua
19 Manu Vatuvei
20 Ukuma Ta'ai
21 Tevita Pangai Junior

Match officials: Referee: Gerard Sutton; Touch Judges: Chris Butler & Mark Craven; Video Referee: Steve Chiddy.

Should be bigger than big. I fancy a draw here and earthquakes throughout the region. I read sonewhere in the kiwi press that tonga may have more support than the kiwis - I wonder whether they will do another joint war dance? The other JT to run for over 200 metres. 

13 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

This will be another crazy game, looking forward to this.

Tonga will win by a try or less with Tongans signing throughout the stadium similar to what we saw vs. Samoa

A bit off topic but what do you think of the standard and intensity compared to L1 and the Wolf pack? 

That Tongan team looks strong in both the pack and the backline.  The key battle here is the half back where the Kiwis probably have the edge.  If the Tongan halves do well, I can see them pulling off a win.

Can't wait for this one.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

A bit off topic but what do you think of the standard and intensity compared to L1 and the Wolf pack? 

It's a massive difference in all honesty.

The on field play i expected to increase for TWP as we progress because we are working our way up from the bottom and i keep showing my friends what the top divisions look like so they know where we are headed. 

The hard hits, fast pace, sneaky offloads, the kicking game is all on another level from what we've seen this year but i expect the quality to increase sharply in the championship over League 1. The Tonga vs. Samoa game was ridiculous (first one I've watched in full this WC) with how they just kept on coming and the massive hits. Wondering if the sport takes off in any way amongst the Aboriginal Canadians as it seems that the indigenous warrior cultures excel at the sport in the Southern hemisphere.

I think that the Tongans are more likely to put Johnson off his game than we have ever been able to do, and could genuinely see Taumalolo inspiring their forwards to get on top. Confidence and momentum will be massive - if Tonga hit the front I could genuinely see them getting home. For those of you who have not seen Taumalolo in the flesh, when he is on his game he has a mesmeric quality similar to Ellery in bringing the very best out of his colleagues. 

I'd like to see Tonga win and they certainly have a chance but I can see the Kiwis winning this comfortably.

NZ have a psychological edge of other pacific nations it seems which will still play a part. There are still a decent number of the Tonga side who are there only because they aren't good enough for the NZ team. JT and Fifita have given them a boost in confidence and they will need to get on top to give them a chance.

I feel the difference is in the spine as is so often the case. I just think the Sheck-Nikorima-johnson-Leuluai combination is a little more international class than Hopoate-Lolohea-Hingano-Katoa. I can see a relatively even field position battle with the kiwis simply converting more chances. Tonga nee Hopoate to improve and give Jennings plenty of early ball to have a chance.

NZ 32-16 Tonga

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

23 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I'd like to see Tonga win and they certainly have a chance but I can see the Kiwis winning this comfortably.

NZ have a psychological edge of other pacific nations it seems which will still play a part. There are still a decent number of the Tonga side who are there only because they aren't good enough for the NZ team. JT and Fifita have given them a boost in confidence and they will need to get on top to give them a chance.

I feel the difference is in the spine as is so often the case. I just think the Sheck-Nikorima-johnson-Leuluai combination is a little more international class than Hopoate-Lolohea-Hingano-Katoa. I can see a relatively even field position battle with the kiwis simply converting more chances. Tonga nee Hopoate to improve and give Jennings plenty of early ball to have a chance.

NZ 32-16 Tonga

I agree. Will see NZ winning this by 6 points at least. They are class and can definitely trouble Australia. People should not under rate them.

Tonga strong but last 20 minutes will hurt them I feel. 

Tonga are coming against a very together kiwi side, cant see past them but still expect a close game for at least 60 mins. Would love to see tonga win though ?

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

NZ 32-16 Tonga

I'm going for Tonga but I pretty much agree with you.

I’d like to see Tonga win and it would be a great WC story , but I feel the halves vulnerability/inexperience  will finally tell here in the big league . They’ve been able to play in a dinner suit so far , but here there’ll be pressured like never before and Johnson will take charge and be a big factor in taking the game after a rare battle . NZ by 14 but a bruising encounter for the ages hopefully 

Agree with a lot of the above.

Kiwis are missing 3 or 4 of their World Class players but they still have a fair few more and have a very good team.  Tonga have a very strong pack but the halves and hooker are not as good as NZ.

It should be an absolute belter of a match.  The highlight of International RL for me (aside from GB / Eng beating the Aussies on rare occasions) has been when New Zealand and Australia bash the hell out of each other.  Preferably followed by a Kiwis win.  This will have intensity and some massive hits.

Only downside for me is that i like the Kiwis and i like Tonga.  It is always better if you prefer one team over the other.  Normally i would want NZ to win but if they lose they will play Australia and would have the best chance of putting them out. 

Kiwis by 12

Before this tournament started we thought the Kiwis were in trouble... their best player jumping ship and a coach out of his depth. 

Now after defeating Samoa  (who England disposed of easily in the summer) and a very poor Scottish team, they are a top quality outfit.

I will hold judgement on this outfit till they have had a proper challenge.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1st bit of advice Id offer Tonga from an opposition POV is to perform simultaneous Haka. That would avoid the spectre of fans booing the Maori Haka on NZ land (a mistake the Samoan fans have made both times they have played NZ in NZ....the 1st time NZ put seventy points on them, the 2nd time NZ played a fired up  Samoan forward pack and matched them as of rite).

Booing the Maori Haka or challenging it on any level has inspired very special efforts from the Kiwis every time ( Willie Mason did it....David Kidwell knocked him flat and that Kiwi side defeated AUS in  4 nations final 28 nil.).

Aussie famously matched forward in a world cup final to confront the Haka ( lost the game).

Aus don't do that anymore. ..Id suggest Tonga avoid it too.....because thus far....NZ have a 100% record of defending their Haka when confronted including the Union code.

*partly tongue in cheek....good luck Tongans....lets go to War*

Kiwi's playing the best rugby of any team so far for me, hope they can keep it together, not get drawn into a middle of the park battle, and emerge with a good victory and a clean bill of health.

Reason:

Can't see anybody else challenging Aus for the title, and I would like a competitive finale to the competition, especially if the eye's if the world are on our game.

Cant wait for this,think it will be match of the tournement. Will all come down to tongas agression and if they can control it for me,got a feeling tonga will get too excited. Talent wise theres very little in it but got a feeling new zealand will handle the occasion better.

Bookies have this as a 6 to 8 point game, in NZ favour.  Probably a measurement of Tongan gains in this tournament and upheaval in NZ pre WC.  Frankly, I think Tonga have got NZ in the forwards but NZ have the halves.

If Johnson goes missing, for whatever reason, Tonga by 10, if he’s on song, NZ by more.  Intriguing clash and the take on the Haka, by mt smart , could be more apparent than we give credit for. 

Archived