Leeds WCC - disappointing if this doesn’t come off.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

NZ Warriors have announced they will play Storm day after date earmarked for the Leeds game.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos/leeds-rhinos-world-club-saga-takes-yet-another-new-twist-1-8849397

Let's put it this way. Regardless of whether it comes off or not it seems it's not a major priority for Storm. It's certainly concerning that the WCC doesn't excite them. A sad state of affairs highlighting the lack of value the competition has for the Aussie team and the horrendous timing of the fixture. 

Let Leeds play a storm 2nd or 3rd team in Melbourne and put about 70 to 80 points on them.

Then make sure Storm know that the record books will forever show the result and Leeds won the title of best Rugby team on the planet for 2017.

Leeds get the title, their players get a suntan and Storm get to play a friendly against a second string NZ team............... its a win win for Leeds.

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Let Leeds play a storm 2nd or 3rd team in Melbourne and put about 70 to 80 points on them.

Then make sure Storm know that the record books will forever show the result and Leeds won the title of best Rugby team on the planet for 2017.

Leeds get the title, their players get a suntan and Storm get to play a friendly against a second string NZ team............... its a win win for Leeds.

Sadly I'm not sure that Leeds would put 70 or 80 past Melbourne's 4th team. The second team may even be favourites in Aus

On November 10, 2017 at 11:34 PM, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

Sadly I'm not sure that Leeds would put 70 or 80 past Melbourne's 4th team. The second team may even be favourites in Aus

Leeds would beat storms second string convincingly wherever they played imo.

Not that i want us to travel around the world and prove it. Really hope we give it a miss,storm have turned this into a farce with there attitude towards it. Id rather focus on getting a good start to superleague than drag the squad half way around the world to play a team who clearly cant be arsed with it.

On 12/11/2017 at 8:37 AM, rhinos78 said:

Leeds would beat storms second string convincingly wherever they played imo.

Not that i want us to travel around the world and prove it. Really hope we give it a miss,storm have turned this into a farce with there attitude towards it. Id rather focus on getting a good start to superleague than drag the squad half way around the world to play a team who clearly cant be arsed with it.

Do you a actually know who Melbourne's "second string" are. Or are you just saying they are NRL so they must be good.

I said all along Mr Hetherington would be spitting feathers that Wigan and Hull had made arrangements and he wouldn't want to miss out!   Looks like something hastily put together that the Storm can take or leave...

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

At least all the flights haven't been booked up by Wigan and Hull fans!

Handley_Page_Heracles.jpg

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

Despite this World Cup, i am really becoming disillusioned by RL. We really do get what we deserve.

Firstly, this game has an ausience in two countries - so why stage it at 9am on friday UK time? Do they want it to fail? 

Secondly - i said when Wigan and Hull announced friendlies in Oz during tge season it would likely see the demise of the WCS, but was dismissed, and what do you know?

Finally - yet another attempt to do something worthwhile/different has just gone by the wayside.

All rather depressing, apart from tge faxt that Leeds are actually going to Melbourne for the game.

I always thought the WCS was a poor concept and flawed from the start anyway. The 2 extra games were just random Australian teams playing what amounted to a friendly. If they aren't actually playing to win anything worthwhile i.e to be the World Champion then it just seems pointless. 

Just now, Damien said:

I always thought the WCS was a poor concept and flawed from the start anyway. The 2 extra games were just random Australian teams playing what amounted to a friendly. If they aren't actually playing to win anything worthwhile i.e to be the World Champion then it just seems pointless. 

I agree.

It was pointless when you had mid table  Aussie teams just turning up for a game.

I think this concept has had a negative impact on an already struggling WCC game.

It just added to the idea in Australia it was a pointless inconvenient pre season trial game.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Despite this World Cup, i am really becoming disillusioned by RL. We really do get what we deserve.

Firstly, this game has an ausience in two countries - so why stage it at 9am UK time? Do they want it to fail? 

Secondly - i said when Wigan and Hull announced friendlies in Oz during tge season it would likely see the demise of the WCS, but was dismissed, and what do you know?

Finally - yet another attempt to do something worthwhile/different has just gone by the wayside.

All rather depressing, apart from tge faxt that Leeds are actually going to Melbourne for the game.

It feels from our end that we just don't have enough tough negotiators. Things like the WCS need to be locked in for a period of years - say 3-5 - and signed off by the NRL. If we are going cap in hand to each individual NRL Grand Finalist and top place finishers then we are always going to be vulnerable.

I was reading a quote from David Collier yesterday who said the RLIF could not sign off on a 9s World Cup for 2019 until the bilateral agreement has been reached between the RFL and NRL for the GB tour. I bet the NZ series in the UK next year hasn't even been signed off yet.

We are running on a timeline no other major sport would function with.

5 minutes ago, Allora said:

I agree.

It was pointless when you had mid table  Aussie teams just turning up for a game.

I think this concept has had a negative impact on an already struggling WCC game.

It just added to the idea in Australia it was a pointless inconvenient pre season trial game.

But we cant just keep dismissing everything as inconvenient.

Do we not like watching RL or something?

Just now, Scubby said:

It feels from our end that we just don't have enough tough negotiators. Things like the WCS need to be locked in for a period of years - say 3-5 - and signed off by the NRL. I we are going cap in hand to each individual NRL Grand Finalist and top place finishers then we are always going to be vulnerable.

I was reading a quote from David Collier yesterday who said the RLIF could not signed off on a 9s World Cup for 2019 until the bilateral agreement has been reached between the RFL and NRL for the GB tour. I bet the NZ series in the UK next year hasn't even been signed off yet.

That sounds good Scubby but what if the NRL says no thanks we are not getting behind this concept?

It is largely seen in Australia as an English promotional vehicle with everything in the SL  Clubs favour with timing, venue, location.

Ideas like the WCC will always struggle unless both partners are interested, willing and feel its beneficial for their Club.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

9 minutes ago, Allora said:

That sounds good Scubby but what if the NRL says no thanks we are not getting behind this concept?

It is largely seen in Australia as an English promotional vehicle with everything in the SL  Clubs favour with timing, venue, location.

Ideas like the WCC will always struggle unless both partners are interested, willing and feel its beneficial for their Club.

Then you publicly chastise them and tell them they are insular and the game is suffering. You do not wait to see who wins the NRL GF and go out with the begging bowl in early November each year. If the concept is stalled you tell people who is responsible and why. 

It is either all or nothing. The Aussies have shown that they do want to play the WCC, it is the NRL wanting ultimate flexibility each year. If the agreement was in place with the NRL and the UK then the clubs are obliged to compete and they know at the start of each season what happens if they qualify. They are then fined heavily if they default.

The clubs in the NRL have way too much power. It is like Shane Richardson at Souths wanting to have a meeting with the RLIF. Go fish and talk to your governing body (who happen to be on the RLIF board FFS). 

Archived