Ike southward trophy

havenhater

9 hours ago, Chrome Dome said:

Yes those were the problems with the pre Summer rugby league era....and the' Ike trophy' can't obviously be a Boxing Day event with regard to the current format.

But ..as a long in the tooth Townie..I did indeed enjoy the olden days Boxing Day fare...made sure the kids had a good Christmas day, while always keenly looking forward to the next day and a RL match. Even more excited if it was versus Haven.

One match forever etched in my memory was a 20-14 win v Whitehaven at DP on 26/12/1987...this win took us to top of the table...I went home and downed a few Babychams after that..I loved a Babycham...the attendance of 2455 was about 2000 up on Towns' average gate for that season. Sadly while winning the next two games Town then slid down the table losing 10 of the next 13 matches...oh dear...

Yes, I think Norman Turley was the player coach of that team ?

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

12 hours ago, Derwent said:

Yes, I think Norman Turley was the player coach of that team ?

Yes that is right Turley was player coach. I also remember his debut match the previous season on 8/3/87.

Keighley at DP who raced into an early 0-18 lead.....to say the 392 present were shell shocked is putting it mildly - I bet Turley was wondering what he had took on. However a turnaround of immense commitment saw Town eventually claw it back to win 34-22.

Mind we did only win another two matches following that one, including Keighley turning the tables by 32-22 at Lawkholme Lane.

35 minutes ago, steven dawson said:

i personally think they should play boxing day they are employed to work for said clubs from november so should do as their employer asks if it was on boxing day it would certainly bring in more fans from both sides.

It's a fact that Boxing Day matches always returned the best attendances for RL and Soccer....but the weather did cause problems for pitches.

1 hour ago, steven dawson said:

i personally think they should play boxing day they are employed to work for said clubs from november so should do as their employer asks if it was on boxing day it would certainly bring in more fans from both sides.

Your a troll whos using the name of Andrew Dawsons brother. You should probably focus on bigger priorities in your life such as getting one than boxing day rugby league.

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

Are those days of big crowds gone forever now? Personally I think they are, the support is there waiting for an excuse to come and watch the games. But for both teams to be able to field teams of the quality required at the top end of the Championship might be pushing it a bit.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

4 hours ago, gillmeister said:

Your a troll whos using the name of Andrew Dawsons brother. You should probably focus on bigger priorities in your life such as getting one than boxing day rugby league.

And one with a very familiar turn of phrase and intriguing misspelling similarities !  

As a Haven fan  I look at and enjoy the comments on the Town forum ( yes even Sandy in his wee but'n'ben  out in the border bad lands ) as you take the proverbial out of Haven, Barrow, any other team, but also yourselves - all good banter as it should be.

So an apology.  Looks like simple Simon has made a comeback, abeit in a thinly disguised format, to fight the good fight on behalf of Haven (at least in his own deluded mind ), so a request, just ignore the pratt, don't  rise to his nursery taunts and more importantly don't reply to his posts.

7 hours ago, Mc1 said:

As a Haven fan  I look at and enjoy the comments on the Town forum ( yes even Sandy in his wee but'n'ben  out in the border bad lands ) as you take the proverbial out of Haven, Barrow, any other team, but also yourselves - all good banter as it should be.

So an apology.  Looks like simple Simon has made a comeback, abeit in a thinly disguised format, to fight the good fight on behalf of Haven (at least in his own deluded mind ), so a request, just ignore the pratt, don't  rise to his nursery taunts and more importantly don't reply to his posts.

Think we might have let this one under the radar looking back at some of your previous posts . Gordon Maudling -pie and pizza eating champion and Jamie Doran not being able to bend down to field a kick because of his gut--- plus a load of other troll-trash on your C.V.     Double bluff detected methinks!  

Sandy

No double bluff or Machiavellian plot here.

You're correct I have in the past poked fun at some of Towns signings ( and will continue  to do so where I think appropriate in the future ). However that is what it was - poking fun to get a response and a bit of non serious banter, I'm sure most people, and those it was directed at would see it as it was intended. 

Difference between myself and Simon ( in whatever guise he is at the moment ) is that I treat yours and any other forum for what it is - and not as a lead in for a response which invariably  leads to general mud slinging then to vitriolic abuse of the individual.

But Hay - Ho may be I'm a bit more chilled out.

1 hour ago, Mc1 said:

Sandy

No double bluff or Machiavellian plot here.

You're correct I have in the past poked fun at some of Towns signings ( and will continue  to do so where I think appropriate in the future ). However that is what it was - poking fun to get a response and a bit of non serious banter, I'm sure most people, and those it was directed at would see it as it was intended. 

Difference between myself and Simon ( in whatever guise he is at the moment ) is that I treat yours and any other forum for what it is - and not as a lead in for a response which invariably  leads to general mud slinging then to vitriolic abuse of the individual.

But Hay - Ho may be I'm a bit more chilled out.

Still a jambo troll though, however you try to dress it up. Simple Simon is a convenient foil for your own machinations --- it's even possible to cut him some slack because he clearly isn't playing with a full deck. Still chilled ??

Sandy

Jambo - open to interpretation depending on what side of the Distington divide you reside in.

Machinations- already stated no hidden agenda, plots or ploys but believe  what you wish.

As Silverfox stated, way off topic.

Still chilled.

We all know it's choccy 

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

Archived