Do referees Influence our game to much?

Mattrhino

58 minutes ago, Padge said:

Oh give over, players make more mistakes than refs.

There was a stat used here yesterday to complain about the ref at half time - i think it showed a penalty count at 8 v 6 or similar at half time as though that was a sign that the ref was ruining it. The stat underneath showed errors at 9 v 9 - so player errors was by far the biggest number and the penalties will have been correct in the main.

So it may have been something like 18 errors for the players versus 1 or 2 from the ref.

It is quite rare in my opinion that the refereeing leads to the wrong winner in a game. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

It's ###### hilarious that after English refs have been shown up woefully in the WC as simply not good enough we've got excuses galore for them and the usual deflections onto assorted "bloody Aussies". For all the whinging about "bloody Aussies" it's painfully clear where the deficiency lies. It's the same as in the playing standards. The usuals will go into meltdown now but it'll just be further proof that bias and hatred rules 99% of opinions on here. The rfl refs are frankly lucky to get a game at all.

I thought you didnt moan about refs?

What a surprise. On the same day as Meninga complained too.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There was a stat used here yesterday to complain about the ref at half time - i think it showed a penalty count at 8 v 6 or similar at half time as though that was a sign that the ref was ruining it. The stat underneath showed errors at 9 v 9 - so player errors was by far the biggest number and the penalties will have been correct in the main.

So it may have been something like 18 errors for the players versus 1 or 2 from the ref.

It is quite rare in my opinion that the refereeing leads to the wrong winner in a game. 

Well if you are adding the errors from players cumulatively they are bound to make more, that's potentially 34 players v 1 referee. Not really fair though.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Well if you are adding the errors from players cumulatively they are bound to make more, that's potentially 34 players v 1 referee. Not really fair though.

It is as the ref is 'involved' in each and every play just as players are.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It is as the ref is 'involved' in each and every play just as players are.

Whatever makes you happy but personally I think its nonsense. This is especially so when some of the errors attributed to players can actually be given as errors due to an incorrect decision from a referee.

34 minutes ago, Damien said:

Whatever makes you happy but personally I think its nonsense. This is especially so when some of the errors attributed to players can actually be given as errors due to an incorrect decision from a referee.

The point is the vast majority of decisions are spot on, even if a ref makes 4 or 5 errors a game, his involvement will be far more than any individual player. He has to make a decision on everything that happens - his involvement will be higher than the combined involvement of every other player on the field.

Offsides, are tackles legal, are passes forward, offences at the ruck, stealing, knock ons - hundreds of decisions per games.

Often the controversial calls are split when fans debate them. 

Some like Cecchens (?) style in the opener of hust ignoring most things, some dont.

It is literally a no win situation, expecting to be able to change anything to please everyone is the nonsense.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I thought you didnt moan about refs?

What a surprise. On the same day as Meninga complained too.

No, I said they're neutral. You either can't read it you're deliberately misrepresenting what I've said.

Pom refs aren't cheats. They're just incompetent.

Slandering "bloody Aussie" refs as cheats and then making excuses for clearly second rate Pom refs sums up the extent of the bias and utter ###### dribbled on here.

16 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

No, I said they're neutral. You either can't read it you're deliberately misrepresenting what I've said.

Slandering "bloody Aussie" refs as cheats and then making excuses for clearly second rate Pom refs sums up the extent of the bias and utter ###### dribbled on here.

If you can quote somebody calling a 'bloody Aussie ref' a 'cheat' and then quote them making excuses for English refs then fine. But you wont find that Id suggest.

Again, typical persecution complex on display.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If you can quote somebody calling a 'bloody Aussie ref' a 'cheat' and then quote them making excuses for English refs then fine. But you wont find that Id suggest.

Again, typical persecution complex on display.

Persecution complex?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

A Pom claiming someone else has a persecution complex! 

You couldn't make it up.

For me the 10 metre rule has put the refs in an awkward position. The game has to accept tedious repetitive laying on at the tackle to give the defence time to retreat that distance.

However to say the refs don't influence the result is surely not true or else why are they are. What purpose do they serve if not to negate a teams indiscretions. Justly influencing but stil influencing. Often not Justly. 

I was in full rant mode there but forgot what I was ranting about.....

OK,  while I'm thinking about it here' another, my argument is this: you watch a match with say a 5-1 penalty count at HT.  Question,  if that penalty count had been  1-5 would you have even noticed? Would the Daily Mail have made it Front Page. Might someone say, it' the players who infringe, you make your own luck, clever teams play the ref, clear penalty (ignore the actual reality of the previous 5 minutes.

Yes it is a difficult job but .......I struggle with the 10m offside and random penalties which are too grievous to a RL ream. Off for a drink.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

1 hour ago, East Coast Tiger said:

So just get neutral refs, good or bad, where's the issue then? A poor ref is poor for both sides, fair do's. A ref under pressure to keep his NRL job, isn't.

56 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

So just get neutral refs, good or bad, where's the issue then? A poor ref is poor for both sides, fair do's. A ref under pressure to keep his NRL job, isn't.

And here ladies and gentlemen is your proof. Pom logic all wrapped up in one comment. Mediocrity = good. Cheating bloody Aussies = bad.

Pathetic.

3 hours ago, East Coast Tiger said:

And here ladies and gentlemen is your proof. Pom logic all wrapped up in one comment. Mediocrity = good. Cheating bloody Aussies = bad.

Pathetic.

Did you see Meninga's comments. He complained that Child was penalising his team for things the Aussie ref had been letting them 'get away with' a couple of weeks back.

So does that make Aussie logic:

Penalising us = bad

Letting us get away with it = good

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Did you see Meninga's comments. He complained that Child was penalising his team for things the Aussie ref had been letting them 'get away with' a couple of weeks back.

So does that make Aussie logic:

Penalising us = bad

Letting us get away with it = good

Did he actually say that or is that just your misrepresentation of what he said? We know you have trouble with comprehension (or the truth). 

He was talking about how ###### the Pom ref was and you won't find anyone arguing. They've all been woeful. Second rate. Wouldn't make the NRL. Meninga was complaining about penalties against BOTH sides and the negative impact it had on the game. After all the whinging after week one it's become crystal clear where the best refs come from and it's not the rfl. I'd be embarrassed too, but I wouldn't make it worse by trying to defend them. That's just even more embarrassing.

5 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Did he actually say that or is that just your misrepresentation of what he said? We know you have trouble with comprehension (or the truth). 

He was talking about how ###### the Pom ref was and you won't find anyone arguing. They've all been woeful. Second rate. Wouldn't make the NRL. Meninga was complaining about penalties against BOTH sides and the negative impact it had on the game. After all the whinging after week one it's become crystal clear where the best refs come from and it's not the rfl. I'd be embarrassed too, but I wouldn't make it worse by trying to defend them. That's just even more embarrassing.

'We want to be allowed to play a lot more. We had three penalties in the first game against England  and not many last week. All of a sudden both teams were penalised for a lot of things both teams were getting away with'

Feel free to provide any evidence for your claims.

The above is absolutely 'let the teams get away with stuff'. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

'We want to be allowed to play a lot more. We had three penalties in the first game against England  and not many last week. All of a sudden both teams were penalised for a lot of things both teams were getting away with'

Feel free to provide any evidence for your claims.

The above is absolutely 'let the teams get away with stuff'. 

No the above is him saying the ref ruined the game. Just as they've been ruining games all tournament. They can't keep up so they slow the game with random, inconsistent penalties every few minutes. I guess you don't want teams to be able "to play more" but I can see why poms would want the game slowed to a crawl. The rest of us want to see good football where the ref is virtually unnoticed. That's what we've been getting from some games. No prizes for knowing which games.

Just now, East Coast Tiger said:

No the above is him saying the ref ruined the game. Just as they've been ruining games all tournament. They can't keep up so they slow the game with random, inconsistent penalties every few minutes. I guess you don't want teams to be able "to play more" but I can see why poms would want the game slowed to a crawl. The rest of us want to see good football where the ref is virtually unnoticed. That's what we've been getting from some games. No prizes for knowing which games.

Not penalising teams slows games down. We may get more ptbs over a game but they are slow and in defensive parts of the field.

The opener with three penalties (was it only 1 or 2 for ruck interference) was not a normal game and should not be used as the benchmark. Ignoring offences affes a game as much as being pedantic.

The Kiwi vs Tonga game had 14 penalties yesterday. Does that mean the ref was worse than the opener because he gave 11 more? Was the game worse for it? Was it hell.

I agree there is a balance, we dont really want 20 pllus penalties, but we also shouldnt want 3 penalties which means ignoring stuff. I dont care what accent they have.

No other game has had only 3 penalties, and that was nothing to do with the teams.

If there are too many penalties, i put tge blame on players - they are not happy to get on with it and improve.

If there are only 3 pens id argue that is little to do with the players.

Some games are messy and niggly, i have no issues with refs penalising that. Lebanon played that way against England last week and Aus were also dragged down to that level this week.

Had the ref taken the 3 penalty approach yesterday the game would have been unwatchable.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Not penalising teams slows games down. We may get more ptbs over a game but they are slow and in defensive parts of the field.

The opener with three penalties (was it only 1 or 2 for ruck interference) was not a normal game and should not be used as the benchmark. Ignoring offences affes a game as much as being pedantic.

The Kiwi vs Tonga game had 14 penalties yesterday. Does that mean the ref was worse than the opener because he gave 11 more? Was the game worse for it? Was it hell.

I agree there is a balance, we dont really want 20 pllus penalties, but we also shouldnt want 3 penalties which means ignoring stuff. I dont care what accent they have.

No other game has had only 3 penalties, and that was nothing to do with the teams.

If there are too many penalties, i put tge blame on players - they are not happy to get on with it and improve.

If there are only 3 pens id argue that is little to do with the players.

Some games are messy and niggly, i have no issues with refs penalising that. Lebanon played that way against England last week and Aus were also dragged down to that level this week.

Had the ref taken the 3 penalty approach yesterday the game would have been unwatchable.

Who reffed NZ v Tonga? Was it a Pom? 

Hahaha. Nah it was a good game. The worst thing about the Pom refs is not that they blow the whistle constantly it's the fact they do it randomly and inconsistently. Everyone knows it's because they can't keep up. The northern hemisphere is producing the same level of quality in refs as it is players.

42 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Who reffed NZ v Tonga? Was it a Pom? 

Hahaha. Nah it was a good game. The worst thing about the Pom refs is not that they blow the whistle constantly it's the fact they do it randomly and inconsistently. Everyone knows it's because they can't keep up. The northern hemisphere is producing the same level of quality in refs as it is players.

Im not interested in an Aussie v English ref debate.

44 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

The worst thing about the Pom refs is not that they blow the whistle constantly it's the fact they do it randomly and inconsistently. Everyone knows it's because they can't keep up. The northern hemisphere is producing the same level of quality in refs as it is players.

That fishing rod ? is a bit too obvious here... must try harder to get a bite!

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I tried to bring the discussion up from playground level, but there is no polishing this t.urd.

In other words, got nothing. No comment on the blatant cheating accusations you claimed weren't happening?

6 hours ago, Johnoco said:

A poor ref is poor for both sides, fair do's. A ref under pressure to keep his NRL job, isn't.

What you lot don't like is that your usual illogical anti-Australian rants aren't going unchallenged for a change. The truth is hurting.

Archived