Team for the quarter final???

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, snapski said:

Because Williams just does what he wants, and doesn’t play in a team structure.

1 Widdop 

6 Brown

7 Gale

9 Roby.

It’s s the best and only way to go.  But Bennett won’t go that way.

Course he does Like he does in most structured team in SL, some people on here make me laugh 

28 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

Why does brown get in peoples team?? He was a 6 at best today against a bunch of amateurs. Williams is england best half and most dangerous runner. PNG will beat us anyways 

How have you arrived at the conclusion that PNG will beat England?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Gale will get the nod at 7 so I guess the question is will England be a better team with Gale and Widdop in the halves and Lomax at full back or Gale and Brown in the halves and Widdop at full back (I think Bennett has Williams tagged as the utility player in this squad).

Bateman will start in the centre as he is hardly likely to play him there for three full games and then change it (I would).

I also suspect he will go with Hodgson over Roby even though Roby has been very good so far.

I think Bennett will go with...

Lomax

McGilvary

Watkins

Bateman 

Hall

Gale

Widdop

Hill

Hodgson

Graham

S. Burgess

Whitehead 

O'Loughlin 

T. Burgess 

Walmsley 

Currie

Williams 

Personally, I would go with the above but Roby for Hodgson and Percival for Bateman in the left centre. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

As much as I think Bennett will go with Hodgson, I'd certainly go with Roby, either for the full 80 or starting with Hodgson off the bench. Gale looked far better with Roby at nine. Widdop I feel would be good at 6 or 1; definitely appeared to offer more of a creative game out the back than Lomax and Ratchford have this year. Perhaps carrying Lomax on the bench as a utility, without having a reserve hooker, may be the way to go against the best teams. Means things can be shifted if needed in the final quarter.

FB Widdop

WGs Hall Mcgilvary

CEs Watkins Percival

6/7 Brown Gale

PRs Taylor Graham

9 Roby

SRs Burgess (if fit, if not Currie) Whitehead

13 O'loughlin

Bench Walmsley, Burgess, McMeeken, Lomax

Imperative should be maintaining 1 of S Burgess, Graham and Lockers on the pitch at all times. 

Widdop.  Hall, Currie, Watkins, JMc.

Gale, Brown.

Hill, Roby, Graham

SB, Whitehead.

SOl.

Subs: Burgess, Walmsley, Ratchford, McGeeken.

Today, Currie did not impress me.  IMO he’s an out and out centre.  

Roby is causing opposition more problems than Hodgson.  

Ratchford offers more than Lomax.  

Widdop at full back, Watkins and Percival in the centres.  He can select who he likes for the rest.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

26 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

Whilst Brown had a good game today,its like a Chelsea player having a good game against Peterborough in a midweek game and being the answer to beat Man City on the Saturday.

What Brown did today is the fundamental play in any code of rugby, he passesd the ball crisply, at the right time and on target, i.e. 'A PASS BEATS A MAN EVERYTIME' and in doing so it benefits every player who is on the outside of that pass, those calling for Williams inclusion who is an out and out instinctive player do not see the benefit in constructive play and getting others players involved, England are not going to beat seasoned NRL players with a stand off who plays his own way their defences are far far to good for any individual to worry them, a player who gets the rest of the team involved causes them far more problems.

Same with Bateman he has more deficiencies than positives in the centre position, he proved that in the first friendly game against the CAS team, the 4th game on the trott later and he has not improved one iota in that position, I wish that Bennett and his coaching team would substantiate why he has been their preferred choice in that position it would make fascinating reading.

In a way the question isn't about who is the best player, it is about who works best in combination. With Roby and OLoughlin keeping the defence honest, through a running and a passing threat, either Widdop or Brown would work at 6 as the key job is to play straight and hold the defence.

Lomax offers even less of a running threat at 1 than Wellens and should be nowhere near the team. Widdop offers the best running threat from 1, and so should play there, with Brown at 6. Gale is very limited but can kick well on his day, but we can carry him if we have the right balance elsewhere. 

The only other questions I think we have are the left centre - where I really like the idea of Currie and Burgess linking up (please god no more Bateman there) - and whether Hill is worth his place. He looks a player in decline to me, but has been so good for so long I would not mind seeing him in white. 

We should have more than enough for PNG in Melbourne. 

49 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Widdop at full back, Watkins and Percival in the centres.  He can select who he likes for the rest.

C'mon Wallo be brave tells us your halves and why you would put Widdop at Full Back, incidentally how good would your Mr Grix be at linking with the attack if he did not have a little guile to play of in the middle?

WIddop looked good at fullback . Seemed liberated and enjoyed the freedom and ability to link up where he saw the play . I’d be tempted to keep him there . Sam back is good . Dunno but I still don’t see why they eulogise over OLoughlin or what he’s doing that’s so marvellous , and Percival did enough to keep that spot for me . Roby to is an xfactor to who’s grabbed a place , and Burgess and Walmsley on the bench are a good duo. Still think Hill is busking a place on form , but more than owt with us it’s HOW rather than WHO . Maintaining intensity longer ,being clinical and minimising errors and you give yourselves a shot 

The beauty of having Widdop at fullback is that in the attacking line, we then have multiple ball playing options. Widdop, Gale, Brown, O'loughlin can shift the ball quickly to two of the best wingers in the competition. Yes, it was against an inferior team than the world's best, but we didn't see that against and average Lebanon side.

1. Widdop

2. McGilvarry

3. Watkins

4. Percival

5. Hall

6. Brown

7. Gale

8. Hill

9. Roby

10. Graham

11. Burgess

12. Whitehead

13. O'Loughlin

14. Hodgson

15. McMeeken

16. Walmsley

17. Currie

Currie is your utility man.

5 hours ago, snapski said:

Because Williams just does what he wants, and doesn’t play in a team structure.

1 Widdop 

6 Brown

7 Gale

9 Roby.

It’s s the best and only way to go.  But Bennett won’t go that way.

A player who played for wigan under wane and Michael McGuire can't play in a structure ? 

5 hours ago, Hullfan said:

Why does brown get in peoples team?? He was a 6 at best today against a bunch of amateurs. Williams is england best half and most dangerous runner. PNG will beat us anyways 

Did you actually watch the game. 

Archived