Lion above the England badge

Anyone know what the lion above the England badge stands for? Some players have it on the shirt and done don't. Would like it perminantly on the shirt as it looks good but it must signify something... 

1 minute ago, RP London said:

Anyone know what the lion above the England badge stands for? Some players have it on the shirt and done don't. Would like it perminantly on the shirt as it looks good but it must signify something... 

Think it has something to do with milestones for amount of caps that player has!

1 hour ago, RP London said:

Agree with that . Lion on a shirt always looks great

thought it might have been something along those lines but wasnt sure.. would like everyone to have one then it changes colour when you get to caps, looks a bit strange for some to have it and some not.. do like them though

• 11 months later...
1 minute ago, roughyedspud said:

Yeah because the difference between England & GB isn't clear enough lol

Russia uses the old Soviet anthem. England should use the old GB Lion (well, old from the mid-80's anyway). Both are far too good to allow them to disappear forever.

GB RL is dead and gone. ? I shall always remember it fondly, along with Grandstand, Des Lynam, Ray French, and being young. But that doesn't mean the Lion can't live on!

Hooray! These people agree with me:

http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/what-we-do/help-for-players/rugby-league-lions-association/

They use the Lion logo, and they say:

"A Rugby League Lion is any player or official who has participated in an international tournament or series involving Great Britain, England or Wales (in the 1975 World Cup)."

So, that Lion logo now applies to current England players too.

I think there could be some merit in bringing back the GB Lion as the England logo.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

6 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I think there could be some merit in bringing back the GB Lion as the the GB logo

Out of interest, was there a big protest from rugby league fans when they got rid of GB? I'm not from a rugby league area, so I just remember reading that the RFL had decided it would be best for development in Wales, Scotland, etc. Did people care or was the fact that all the team were English anyway mean that it wasn't really a big deal?

6 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Out of interest, was there a big protest from rugby league fans when they got rid of GB? I'm not from a rugby league area, so I just remember reading that the RFL had decided it would be best for development in Wales, Scotland, etc. Did people care or was the fact that all the team were English anyway mean that it wasn't really a big deal?

I’ve corrected my post as I obviously meant use GB lion on England shirt! 

I remember some discontent although not huge. One reason it was done I believe was to help unlock more funding from government through things like Sport England.

I did like the idea of it returning but but I’m less bothered now ... we don’t play enough games as England and the GB team would just be England anyway so why dilute our brand.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

7 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

It wasn't that big a deal. England had already been playing in World Cups anyway plus the move to summer meant the traditional tours were a thing of the past anyway. Added to that that most of the team were English and the RU imports, from largely Wales, had dried up anyway.

On 10/24/2018 at 7:03 AM, Odsal Outlaw said:

I remember some discontent although not huge. One reason it was done I believe was to help unlock more funding from government through things like Sport England.

That is a myth....the sport England logo featured on GB kits..

Sport England even came out and said,at the time,that it didn't matter if we played as GB or England as either team was seen as the principle "national team" and would be funded accordingly...that's cos the money goes to the RFL which ran both teams..

What splitting into the 4 homes nations did do is enable Wales,Scotland & Ireland greater access to their own government sports councils...that's why the RFL stopped funding the Welsh Scots & Irish governing bodies,they need to be truly independent to access government funding...

Wales have had funding from sport Wales for a while now..they helped fund the WalesRL performance center

I saw a poster for a up coming Ireland European Cup game....and in the corner is a sport Ireland logo...which is the first time i recall seeing that...

And Scotland.......well......answers on a postcard lol

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

On 10/24/2018 at 8:35 AM, Damien said:

It wasn't that big a deal. England had already been playing in World Cups anyway plus the move to summer meant the traditional tours were a thing of the past anyway. Added to that that most of the team were English and the RU imports, from largely Wales, had dried up anyway.

Well in the possibly not too distant future we may see more more imports again from RU. At least from England. There seem to be more and more overseas players playing for the England XV.  So if fewer 'English' players are pushed out they might fancy a move 'north' again.

On 10/24/2018 at 12:46 AM, 17 stone giant said:

Put the Lion on all the shirts - England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland - as a link to the past. I remember they put the British Isles badge on all the shirts at one time. 

england.jpg

No thanks. The Lion motif is of French origin ... Geoffrey of Anjou.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 10/24/2018 at 12:46 AM, 17 stone giant said:

Put the Lion on all the shirts - England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland - as a link to the past. I remember they put the British Isles badge on all the shirts at one time. 

A Lion symbol has no connection with Ireland.

Archived