2018 Series v NZ

Tried to look at the recent history of GB/Eng matches vs the Kiwis to see where we may go this time:

John Smiths Stadium, Huddersfield

DW Stadium, Wigan

Olympic Stadium, London

KC Stadium, Hull

Wembley, London

Knowsley Road, St Helens

Loftus Road, London

Ewood Park, Blackburn

Reebok Stadium, Bolton

Vicarage Rd, Watford

Outside of playing England/GB, in the UK we have sent the Kiwis to 

Warrington, Stoop, Gloucester RU, Reading, Headingley, Elland Road, Workington, Anfield, plus a load of others.

So, that list is no help at all in terms of guessing where we may play!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Dave T said:

Tried to look at the recent history of GB/Eng matches vs the Kiwis to see where we may go this time:

John Smiths Stadium, Huddersfield

DW Stadium, Wigan

Olympic Stadium, London

KC Stadium, Hull

Wembley, London

Knowsley Road, St Helens

Loftus Road, London

Ewood Park, Blackburn

Reebok Stadium, Bolton

Vicarage Rd, Watford

Outside of playing England/GB, in the UK we have sent the Kiwis to 

Warrington, Stoop, Gloucester RU, Reading, Headingley, Elland Road, Workington, Anfield, plus a load of others.

So, that list is no help at all in terms of guessing where we may play!

Good work there. This makes me realise that I may have seen NZ more times than I have seen GB/Eng! World Cup in Reading, a couple of games against Oz, and indeed games against us.

They also played a game at Brentford in about 2002; I think it was against an England 'A' team ahead of a Three Nations.

On 2017-11-18 at 4:28 PM, jannerboyuk said:

So is this good or bad news - hard to tell from this thread ?

Bad news.  The same two teams playing each other multiple times is something never seen in big time international sports, it's the mark of a small time sport which hardly any countries play.

23 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

We shouldn't play at anfield..ever...the pitch is too small!

The game needs to ditch its attitude of making do with short fields of play and make sure that top-level matches at least are on full-length 100-metre fields with deep goal areas like we've seen in the World Cup this year.

12 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

The game needs to ditch its attitude of making do with short fields of play and make sure that top-level matches at least are on full-length 100-metre fields with deep goal areas like we've seen in the World Cup this year.

Deep in goal areas are a cheap excuse to try to create more tries for an inferior product. 

Rugby League is a superior product so doesn't need to resort to such tripe.

23 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Bad news.  The same two teams playing each other multiple times is something never seen in big time international sports, it's the mark of a small time sport which hardly any countries play.

Three match test series date back a long way.

Incidentally in the NHL Stanley Cup the same two teams play each other SEVEN times.

7 minutes ago, BenGilesRL said:

Three match test series date back a long way.

That they do: back to the time when the number of countries playing the game could be counted on the fingers of one hand.  Times have changed since then though.

24 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

The game needs to ditch its attitude of making do with short fields of play and make sure that top-level matches at least are on full-length 100-metre fields like we've seen in the World Cup this year.

I’d agree with that (minus the in-goal point). It would mean we’d lose Old Trafford for our event list though. 

12 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I’d agree with that (minus the in-goal point). It would mean we’d lose Old Trafford for our event list though. 

I still remember how shocked the Aussies were at the tiny 4.1 metre deep goal areas there at the 2013 World Cup Final.

Given the difficulties of finding suitable-length grounds in Britain possibly there could be a workaround: allow grounds to be as short as 95 metres long rather than 100, and in those cases only reduce the distance between the lines and continue to number them as if they're a full 10 metres apart so that on TV it looks like a full-length field of play.  Otherwise substandard venues like Old Trafford could then squeeze in goal areas with the bare minimum depth.  Not ideal, but at least then the game could be presented at all times and in all countries with one consistent set of field markings as seen in major sports.

58 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Oh no. Has someone told the cricketers to cancel the Ashes?

People called Romans they go the house

3 hours ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Pleasing to have got an email about these games today, in the middle of the World Cup. Shows some joined up thinking for once.

Hope at least one of the games is in London and not on a Sunday!

Yeah I got one too and was pleasantly surprised. This is one of the rare occasions I have to say well done to the RFL*

* Disclaimer: I reserve the right to criticise tomorrow if the RFL choose completely unattractive and poor venues. 

I know they will have sold out PL football, huge gigs and NFL games to celebrate the opening, but if we got a test at New White Hart Lane we'd easily crack 50,000 fans. Mainly made up of Spurs fans (and stadium nerds) wanting a look at their new stadium who can't get a ticket for the major events, but the same idea boosted numbers for the first OS game. The opportunity to sell to thousands of fans who otherwise wouldn't give RL a second thought doesn't present itself very often, especially in London

Add Elland Road and Wigan and you could realistically get all 3 venues to 95% full

Dare I say it but are the RFL trying to take advantage of the World Cup and striking while the iron is hot?

It's been 22 years since we made a World Cup final and maybe we'll get a fair whack of media attention. If we do relatively well it might interest people into buying tickets.

Of course they'll be rewarded with a lacklustre defeat to Tonga for their efforts!

Archived