“Rebel” rugby league World Cup planned for Pakistan (this isn’t a joke)

Copa

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Rugby League being attractive to the Pakistani nation either to participate or spectate.  Kabaddi has some very similar elements to the collision, the tackle and the floor work and those attracted to these elements would surely see the attraction of Rugby League.

14 minutes ago, winnyason said:

Not sure. Looking on twitter this event had coverage on Pakistan tv break fast as well as major sports network and has government pushing event. 

I have to say from afar this Pierluigi Gentile seem to be getting stuff done. 

The Pakistani government would love an international event that makes them look normal and welcoming. Many regular people would too.

I suspect this will be the start of rugby union’s attempt to take over rugby league or at the very least try to stifle RLIF growth for a long time.

17 minutes ago, Copa said:

The Pakistani government would love an international event that makes them look normal and welcoming. Many regular people would too.

I suspect this will be the start of rugby union’s attempt to take over rugby league or at the very least try to stifle RLIF growth for a long time.

So what’s the deal with the world rugby league saying there a sub segment of rugby union to get governments on board ?

That's a novel idea having the posts on the dead ball line, the last time I saw something different was at the greyhound stadium  eland Road Leeds when the reborn Hunslet played there and it was like the American football tuning fork style.

12 hours ago, Copa said:

The rebel group is planning a rugby league World Cup in Pakistan.

Brilliant ... that will make the close season even shorter!

Who has the rights, Premier, Sky, Telstra or Aunty (let's hide it away, it's worked so far) ?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Could this be what’s behind the IRB objecting to Rugby League being recognised by Sports Accord and the shenanigans in Saudi Arabia a couple of years ago with the Saudi RU claiming they owned the rights to ‘Rugby’ including League?

If it were and they continued to expand it internationally, how would we feel about it, after all it’s Rugby League rules and the game we love to watch but under a different Governing body. 

Are we happy or are we angry?

Archived