“Rebel” rugby league World Cup planned for Pakistan (this isn’t a joke)

Copa

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Italian Ambassador in Pakistan says that the rebel Italian team and Federation "are legally recognized by and  integral part of the Italian Olympic Committee "

"integral part of the Italian Olympic Committee."  How ironic it would be if the rebel RL got recognised as an Olympic sport while the legitimate sport is given the cold shoulder. 

This whole affair will hopefully make the RLIF wake up  and smell the coffee. We cannot be ####### around with a part-time CEO on a shoe string budget. It needs to be established, with named faces who are prepared to jump on a plane and solve this stuff and nip it in the bud immediately. This is not a job for ####### about in between planning Magic and Sport England funding. My guess is also the NRL/ARLC have no interest in getting involved in this stuff (either by lobbing the countries sports authorities or providing legal assistance).

12 minutes ago, Yosser said:

He's pointing out the obvious! how come there is nothing from the RLIF at least assuring they are working towards co-operating and removing World Rugby from the picture. It's obvious World Rugby is trying to undermine League and I'd be interested as well to find out who is funding this!

2 minutes ago, StadiumXIII said:

He's pointing out the obvious! how come there is nothing from the RLIF at least assuring they are working towards co-operating and removing World Rugby from the picture. It's obvious World Rugby is trying to undermine League and I'd be interested as well to find out who is funding this!

A union body or bodies somewhere.

8 hours ago, StadiumXIII said:

See Scubby’s post earlier - the main power brokers in our sport: the RFL and Aussies probably aren’t bothered as it does affect their own little empires. The sport needs a revolution.

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

In what way? Have you a link?

I’ve been blocked by multiple people so can’t see the angry ones anymore. :-) 

My favourite post from the night though is this (it’s not me) due to its “you’ve got to be kidding” feel. Italian ambassador also claimed to be working with RLIF.

5E1B0256-A504-4127-BA5F-8CE3E1751B38.jpeg

Disappointing that someone like Ikram Butt is aligning himself with this.  His twitter account clearly demonstrated support for world rugby and the amount of union retweets he makes speaks volumes. 

If you look at the officials shirts you’ll see the world rugby logo featured.

DEAF6F0F-8CD0-4503-B62E-0035E07553A6.png

1CF2C9D7-A6C5-4F23-A381-78C46B5DBD83.png

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

8 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Disappointing that someone like Ikram Butt is aligning himself with this.  His twitter account clearly demonstrated support for world rugby and the amount of union retweets he makes speaks volumes. 

Charge your phone!

13 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

He’s clearly being paid by yawnion. Very disappointing indeed, I held the man in higher regard 

Ikram Butt is Vice Chairman of World Rugby, so it's not a surprise to see him supporting it as he is quite heavily invested...

Considering right from the start the Pakistan Rugby League has pretty much been a sub-division of the BARA (British Asian Rugby Association) it's not a surprise to see them jump ship...

BARA as well have been playing the illegal Italian team for a few years now... So again not surprising that now they are trying to ramp up World Rugby that they made the BARA team into Pakistan.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

12 minutes ago, Copa said:

Charge your phone!

? love the attention to detail!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

3 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Wasn't Ikram Butt  on the pay roll of Bradford council at one time as some sports coach?

If he was and still is he should be sacked.

I see Kevin Rudd was involved. Enough said

8 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Wasn't Ikram Butt  on the pay roll of Bradford council at one time as some sports coach?

If he was and still is he should be sacked.

I see Kevin Rudd was involved. Enough said

Kevin Rudd was involved a long time ago before any of this business.  His role was blameless.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 20/11/2017 at 1:21 AM, hutch said:

Surely the rlif, nrl, rfl or whoever has copyrighted the rules of rugby league and the sport being called rugby league.

Then again we didn’t think far enough ahead to copyright Rugby World Cup.

Yes they have and was part of the recent challenge to GAISF decision and was mentioned in Parliament by the Rugby League committee 

6 hours ago, JoneslessBishop said:

Yes they have and was part of the recent challenge to GAISF decision and was mentioned in Parliament by the Rugby League committee 

That's a relief.  As crazy as it sounds I can't help but think getting someone like Gary Schofield to raise this issue would help isolate this rebel movement from the main stream game.

Which meeting was it and are the minutes available online?

http://www.apprlg.org.uk/meetings/

1 hour ago, JoneslessBishop said:

This seems facetious. It was on the Parliamentary RL Groups statement. Google it. That is proof enough for me that   The RLIF has copyrighted it

What’s copyrighted? The Rugby League World Cup brand? If so, we should take them to the cleaners in court. 

OK, here's a curve ball. Ikram Butt has just released the following on his FB page:

"Excellent catch up and chat with Lord Hoyle, President of the All Party Parliamentary Rugby League Group.

Delighted to have the support from Lord Hoyle towards our recent successful historic event with Pakistan Rugby League hosting the Lega Italia Rugby Football League for the Tariq Niazi Trophy at the World Famous Jinnah Stadium and White Ribbon."

He has photos with other members of Parliamentary RL Group. Now I know its promoting White Ribbon but Butt seems to be doing this aligned with this World Rugby League. What is going on & why would the RL Parliamentary Group congratulate this rival body's event which is having ramifications for the governing body?

Butt2.jpg

1 hour ago, Heritage XIII said:

OK, here's a curve ball. Ikram Butt has just released the following on his FB page:

"Excellent catch up and chat with Lord Hoyle, President of the All Party Parliamentary Rugby League Group.

Delighted to have the support from Lord Hoyle towards our recent successful historic event with Pakistan Rugby League hosting the Lega Italia Rugby Football League for the Tariq Niazi Trophy at the World Famous Jinnah Stadium and White Ribbon."

He has photos with other members of Parliamentary RL Group. Now I know its promoting White Ribbon but Butt seems to be doing this aligned with this World Rugby League. What is going on & why would the RL Parliamentary Group congratulate this rival body's event which is having ramifications for the governing body?

Butt2.jpg

He possibly told them what he did and they said “congratulations”.

Archived