“Rebel” rugby league World Cup planned for Pakistan (this isn’t a joke)

Copa

1 hour ago, Heritage XIII said:

OK, here's a curve ball. Ikram Butt has just released the following on his FB page:

"Excellent catch up and chat with Lord Hoyle, President of the All Party Parliamentary Rugby League Group.

Delighted to have the support from Lord Hoyle towards our recent successful historic event with Pakistan Rugby League hosting the Lega Italia Rugby Football League for the Tariq Niazi Trophy at the World Famous Jinnah Stadium and White Ribbon."

He has photos with other members of Parliamentary RL Group. Now I know its promoting White Ribbon but Butt seems to be doing this aligned with this World Rugby League. What is going on & why would the RL Parliamentary Group congratulate this rival body's event which is having ramifications for the governing body?

Butt2.jpg

We are at the extreme end of interest in rugby league politics.  The Parliamentary group will have a couple of obsessives, some casual fans and other who think it will play well to their voters.  A Pakistani former GB international is a great chance for a photo shoot.  He says "We just started rugby league in Pakistan", reply is "Nice one".

There could be no more to it than this.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bob8 said:

We are at the extreme end of interest in rugby league politics.  The Parliamentary group will have a couple of obsessives, some casual fans and other who think it will play well to their voters.  A Pakistani former GB international is a great chance for a photo shoot.  He says "We just started rugby league in Pakistan", reply is "Nice one".

There could be no more to it than this.

Politicians will behave like politicians.  Having been in the meetings in the past very little is said in open discussion.

Pretty sure the Parliamentary group are up to speed on this issue.

I assume these photos were taken at the Parliamentary Rugby League Group’s Annual Charity Dinner the night before last.

Anyone can attend as long as they cough up the £110 for the dinner.

I think there may be some red faces around now and not just from the wine.

What a scumbag troublemaker this bloke is.  Interesting that there is no quote or anything to go with it, just a photo of him with someone then he comments whatever he wants on the photo.  I hope this guy gets exposed big time for the union-backed provocateur that he is.

7 hours ago, Yosser said:

I assume these photos were taken at the Parliamentary Rugby League Group’s Annual Charity Dinner the night before last.

Anyone can attend as long as they cough up the £110 for the dinner.

I think there may be some red faces around now and not just from the wine.

Nothing in the minutes to indicate he still attends the group meetings.

So I would assume he has left the group.

I would expect to see BARA listed on the associate members list.

£110 plus some would need a stay and travel to London.  We need parliament in a more central location working more sociable hours.

Mhairi Black might have had a few good points on why they need to actually be in the house to vote.

It currently says 

He currently works as Sports Campaign Manager as a consultant for White Ribbon Campaign and is vice president of "world rugby league" a sham federation set up to undermine the work done by the official international rugby league federation,the RLIF.

;)

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

2 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

It currently says 

;)

I’m too old to understand how to edit these things but a link to the media article about the UK parliamentary group sending a letter to sport accord that has references to World Rugby League is probably required.

Looks like they've recognized the success of Unions 7's (stable long term gov't funding since its Olympic and fully funded carded athletes; helps solve the $ problem on both ends); very successful festivals with lots of cash moving around (just ask Vancouver) and have seen the vacuum for League 9's, which could go the same way (and should).

Crush these guys but lets get properly moving on the 9's thing for the Olympics, real RL has allowed a vacuum to develop as in relation to 9's/Olympics, so it draws in trash like this.  Need to get ahead of the curve on this.

They are trading on the ignorance of the average Rugby fan (all on this board excepted of course) judging by the posts urging them on. I doubt if most fans could tell you who owns the rules or indeed the World Cup

Hate to say it but union fans would spot a fraudulent organisation like this in 2 seconds flat.

7 hours ago, Kayakman said:

seen the vacuum for League 9's, which could go the same way (and should).

Crush these guys but lets get properly moving on the 9's thing for the Olympics, real RL has allowed a vacuum to develop as in relation to 9's/Olympics, so it draws in trash like this.  Need to get ahead of the curve on this.

The Olympics, if we are realistic, is utterly pie in the sky. FFS we might not even fill the stadium for our own World Cup final (not a sell out yet.... which other sport would be in that situation??)

The appetite for international RL is derisory if we look at the current World Cup - very tiny numbers of fans have travelled from Europe for it. There is very little commitment from the publuc.

But... Commonwealth Games could be a realistic target for your idea. RL is overwhelmingly a Commonwealth sport (all 6 womens world cup teams for example).  This would be a logical first step (and the path union followed years ago). Your idea would have legs if ghe RLIF launched a co-ordinated campaign to attain commonwealth games status for 9s. Sadly... i am not sure there is a will from the sport's governing bodies....

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

17 minutes ago, Celt said:

The Olympics, if we are realistic, is utterly pie in the sky. FFS we might not even fill the stadium for our own World Cup final (not a sell out yet.... which other sport would be in that situation??)

The appetite for international RL is derisory if we look at the current World Cup - very tiny numbers of fans have travelled from Europe for it. There is very little commitment from the publuc.

But... Commonwealth Games could be a realistic target for your idea. RL is overwhelmingly a Commonwealth sport (all 6 womens world cup teams for example).  This would be a logical first step (and the path union followed years ago). Your idea would have legs if ghe RLIF launched a co-ordinated campaign to attain commonwealth games status for 9s. Sadly... i am not sure there is a will from the sport's governing bodies....

That is a very valid point about the Commonwealth Games.

13 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Also the Olympics wouldn't allow heritage teams, so that would leave us with GB, NZ, Aus, France, PNG, Fiji, USA, Canada plus teams with stronger domestic comps, but no heritage i.e. Russia, Serbia who would probably be heavily beaten. 

The Olympics would have their own qualifying standards (not RFL) and many teams/athletes are always getting quite beaten at the Olympics, so would be a non issue.  Plus there programs would improve quickly, if they were on the medal hunt, with gov't sponsorship.

Remember Eddie the Eagle in ski jumping!   Jamaican Bobsled team anyone!

12 hours ago, DlEHARD said:

23.2.jpg

So this is the fake one

10 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Worth pointing out there is a Kenya Rugby League based in Kenya.  Not this group linked to italy.

https://www.facebook.com/Kenya-rugby-league-892678664132950/

And this the real one?

OLDHAM RLFC

43 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

So this is the fake one

And this the real one?

Oh my God!...can't we help these people get organized?....the kid talking about cutting the grass and the picture with the lawn mower...Oh my God!...can't we help these people get organized?

I've just swapped messages with the RLIF aligned Kenya RL,I've asked them to sign up here to keep us updated..

They just sent me this

Hi Simon , no we are in no way affiliated with them, we established after my self and my wife ran a programme to introduce children in Kenya a opportunity to play RL , these children would have never had the chance to play any sport otherwise , we only started Kenya Rugby league to form a governing body as rugby union and other groups did all they could to shut our project down, now we are in many schools and non school children in the slums, we also have university and adult grade teams, the group associated with world rugby league are called Kenya rugby league federation they have tried to get a adult competition started but could not so they are looking at have just one team " Kenya national team " despite having no players , I believe they are only involved for money they have tried to extort money from us to make them " go away " , they are also still involved in Kenya rugby union apart from one member who was sacked for charging players 250000 Kenya shilling ( about $3000aus dollars ) to be selected for the Kenyan sevens team, we are currently trying to get government recognition and are working with RLIF and ERLF

OLDHAM RLFC

We absolutely need to swoop in and help our RLIF aligned national federations.

Also we must jump in and start/support vital strategic nations as well. This is urgent.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

Archived