• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

We we haven’t won tournaments for a long time is the result of more than one reason.  

Were in the final with a shot at winning it.  

Mate, I was 3 when GB last won the WCF. I am chuffed we have a chance to win it back next Saturday.

But all this '"great result" stuff? We were in total command for 70 odd minutes and came within a spit and a fart of conceding 24 points in 7 minutes to lose. In a World Cup semi-final.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their first try is scored after Fifita obstructs our square marker. Their second off a forward pass.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

And you and me would have exploded if he goes to VR and Thaler gives a try.

He wouldn't have, he's English. :D

The replay in slow motion showed what couldn't be seen for certain in real time, surely even Thaler would have spotted that.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 minute ago, marklaspalmas said:

Mate, I was 3 when GB last won the WCF. I am chuffed we have a chance to win it back next Saturday.

But all this '"great result" stuff? We were in total command for 70 odd minutes and came within a spit and a fart of conceding 24 points in 7 minutes to lose. In a World Cup semi-final.

Uncanny.

Were you sat next to me? :blink:

I think that the last 8 minutes of a game and a semi like that can be pretty much entirely discounted. We were home and hosed, and switched off as a consequence of a job well done and the biggest game of our lives next week. Against a talented side, with nothing to lose and a licence to throw the ball forward, these things happen. If we are ahead on 70 minutes next week, we will continue as we did for the first 70 here and defend like our lives depended on it. 

So much to build on and look forward to. Our fitness and sharpness were a thing to behold. If Roby has to play 80 next week, so be it. Fantastic work across the side, with even Bateman contributing in attack, and Hodgson looking much more like it. We need to be fitter and sharper than the Aussies, because we lack their skill. Our physical preparation looks spot on - the cover defence was wonderful. 

1 minute ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I think that the last 8 minutes of a game and a semi like that can be pretty much entirely discounted. We were home and hosed, and switched off as a consequence of a job well done and the biggest game of our lives next week. Against a talented side, with nothing to lose and a licence to throw the ball forward, these things happen. If we are ahead on 70 minutes next week, we will continue as we did for the first 70 here and defend like our lives depended on it.

That's hilarious. Do you really want the full list of every game we've blown in the last 10 minutes internationally? We did a full series of them v the Kangaroos not that long ago.

4 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Uncanny.

Were you sat next to me? :blink:

I wouldn't have dared fart in those last ten minutes, stomach was far too unsettled.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Having said that, at one point I began to wonder whether this is what it felt like being a Wire fan against Saints in days gone by. 

Just ignore this JB, Dave T and the rest of the Primrose and Blue..

It was totally uncalled for and I feel your pain.

6 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Cecchin managed to see it OK in real time.

He managed to get the decision correct in real time.

That's slightly different.

Now my pulse has returned to normal I can collect my thoughts.

For 70 minutes that was an excellent performance, the defence was superb and many players, some much maligned on here, had their best game of the tournament and our completion rates were getting up towards where they need to be. I thought James Graham was absolutely immense, Widdop, Walmsley and Whitehead were outstanding too.

The last 10 minutes were real heart in the mouth stuff, I think we clocked off when Bateman scored and you really can't do that I think Bennett will be absolutely livid with them and rightly so. Even when Tonga scored to make it 20-6 we had the chance to just lock it up and control the game, but as an old coach of mine used to say, you should never switch off in a game because when you need to switch back on again its too late. Tonga could easily have nicked that, I thought the last play was a loose carry but it could easily have went the other way and after playing well for 70 minutes that really is unacceptable

On a brighter note, I don't think we will switch off against Australia because we will never be 4 scores up.

Can we beat Australia? well 9 times out of 10 or even 19 out of 20, no, but if this were a boxing match we would have a punchers chance. If we can play 80 minutes take our chances and make Australia work harder than they have had to for a long time we may pull off that 1 in 10 (or 1 in 20) chance.

Straw clutching? probably, but you've got to hope

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

18 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

I feel for the Tongans. They were on the receiving end of some tough decisions. Maybe they interpret the rules differently in Australia.

Having said that, if it was boxing, England would have won on points, whilst bent over the ropes taking a hiding when the bell ended the last round.

Plenty of battered bodies to patch up before next week. I don't think O'Loughlin came back on and Hodgson looks a goner.

Are you mad? Explain which decisions where tough? The huge forward pass for their second try? Rubbish from you.

Archived