Crowds for semis and final

IM2

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auckland is well on track to sell out due to the wave of support for Tonga and has a capacity of around 30,000. It will undoubtedly sound like 60,000 on game day.

Brisbane Semi will be interesting. Aus v Fiji at the 2008 RLWC got 15,855 in Sydney. The first match to be played in Brisbane for the same year was the Semi Final between NZ & ENG - there was a crowd of 26,659.

So, we could assume that as this is the first match in what is really the capital of RL in Australia, there will be at worst a crowd of 26,000 to watch. 

NZ failing to advance will greatly hamper ticket sales. As great as it is for Fiji to have advanced, the Fijian community is much smaller than the NZ in Brisbane. Further, the 'neutral fan' can be pretty sure of the result before attending. NZ would have provided a level of interest that, unfortunately, Fiji cannot. I think if it can get 30,000 that would be fantastic.

The Final, as has been posted in the Australian based rugby league forum, has sales around the 30,000 mark at current. These ticket numbers can always be a bit wishy washy, but would be confident that the Final can sell out, or at least get above 45,000.

3 hours ago, Abicus said:

Auckland is well on track to sell out due to the wave of support for Tonga and has a capacity of around 30,000. It will undoubtedly sound like 60,000 on game day.

Brisbane Semi will be interesting. Aus v Fiji at the 2008 RLWC got 15,855 in Sydney. The first match to be played in Brisbane for the same year was the Semi Final between NZ & ENG - there was a crowd of 26,659.

So, we could assume that as this is the first match in what is really the capital of RL in Australia, there will be at worst a crowd of 26,000 to watch. 

Sydney is the capital of RL in Aus. I would anticipate about 20-25k for the semi and 35-40k for the Final. Can't be sure if a V England final or V Tonga final will generate more interest.

5 hours ago, IM2 said:

anyone got any news. hope the aussies can redeem themselves in the final 3 games.

The game in Darwin sold out and the game in Melbourne was ok for an Eng v PNG game. Not sure there is much for the Aussies to redeem. NZ fixtures were the poorly attended ones.

38 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Sydney is the capital of RL in Aus. I would anticipate about 20-25k for the semi and 35-40k for the Final. Can't be sure if a V England final or V Tonga final will generate more interest.

The game in Darwin sold out and the game in Melbourne was ok for an Eng v PNG game. Not sure there is much for the Aussies to redeem. NZ fixtures were the poorly attended ones.

The games in Melbourne have not been OK. One should have been a sell out (and probably even in a higher capacity ground seeing it was the tournament opener against one of the only two other challengers) and the other was about 33% full, with about 1% made up of locals.

So yeah, there's loads that needs redeeming.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

13 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The games in Melbourne have not been OK. One should have been a sell out (and probably even in a higher capacity ground seeing it was the tournament opener against one of the only two other challengers) and the other was about 33% full, with about 1% made up of locals.

So yeah, there's loads that needs redeeming.

That's like saying England and the RFL had some redeeming to do after 5k turned out to watch the Kangaroos beat Ireland in the quarter final in 2013.

The crowd in Melbourne for the quarter was entirely reasonable and the opening game wasn't too bad either considering the location.

I expect a lot of UK fans will have booked their trip to cover the QFs or SFs onwards, because few people can get 7 weeks' holiday for the whole RWC. So that will boost attendances.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I read that the final had sold out. I am sure the Auckland crowd will be huge, with a mass of white as well as red. As for the other semi who knows? Can the Roos draw a crowd bigger than England - NZ? You would have thought so, but then however low we have set the bar the Aussies have still failed to clear it. 3 aussies for our semi was an all time low even by their standards. 

52 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I read that the final had sold out. I am sure the Auckland crowd will be huge, with a mass of white as well as red. As for the other semi who knows? Can the Roos draw a crowd bigger than England - NZ? You would have thought so, but then however low we have set the bar the Aussies have still failed to clear it. 3 aussies for our semi was an all time low even by their standards. 

Not many home nations in a semi final will attract a lower crowd than the neutral semi final. They did it in 2008 and there is a genuine risk of it happening here too, although Brisbane do support these events better.

15 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I just checked and there are tickets for all categories available for the final. 

At this rate the fewer than 200k seats will have been filled in Australia for the entire competition. With many of those down to England fans. I would tentatively suggest that, solely by this measure, this is the worst effort in our game's history. At least 2000 was beset by events beyond our control... 

22 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

That's like saying England and the RFL had some redeeming to do after 5k turned out to watch the Kangaroos beat Ireland in the quarter final in 2013.

The crowd in Melbourne for the quarter was entirely reasonable and the opening game wasn't too bad either considering the location.

They do. 5k was poor. Should have gotten more. As should the two games at Craven Park. That's probably about it in terms of poor crowds. The rest were very good.

If you take just the England pool games from that World Cup, their QF, the semi and the final, those games alone have outsold the entire tournament in Australia. There are very few crowds to boast about.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

On 21/11/2017 at 6:23 AM, Sports Prophet said:

It may be in terms of the number of clubs there, but it isn't with regards to the size of attendances.

1 hour ago, Jim Prendle said:

It may be in terms of the number of clubs there, but it isn't with regards to the size of attendances.

More people on a weekly basis attend and participate in regular season RL in Sydney than Brisbane.

Sydney is the capital and home.

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

They do. 5k was poor. Should have gotten more. As should the two games at Craven Park. That's probably about it in terms of poor crowds. The rest were very good.

If you take just the England pool games from that World Cup, their QF, the semi and the final, those games alone have outsold the entire tournament in Australia. There are very few crowds to boast about.

I don't know why I am defending it really. I don't agree with the venue choice and haven't agreed much with the tournament committee throughout the whole tournament.

Suppose I am just defending the fans more than anyone else.

In my opinion, for the venue chosen and the time of year, the crowd in Melbourne was reasonable. Not great, but not a disaster either.

Certainly not much to write home about as far as physical numbers but barely a pass for the locations chosen.

2 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Though, as ever, there is hefty counter balance in that this looks like being the most widely watched World Cup there has ever been. An England Oz final will be the most watched game we have ever had. They are masters of eyes on the screens. 

This is an extremely bold statement, I'm not sure how it can be true.

My estimate is 22,000 for Tonga v England and 34,000 for Australia v Fiji.

The ticket sites show lots of sections closed or sold out for both games. My experience from this World Cup is telling me some of these sections are only partially full or not been opened for sale. There are swathes of seats behind the goals at Brisbane for sale for example. There is not way on earth all those nose bleed sections have been opened which is what is needed to take it into the 40k+ region.

49 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'd be surprised if this wasn't true. 4 out of the top 5 tv shows every year in Aus are league matches. Aus has pulled a million plus viewers for all of their games except Lebanon.

The 2013 WC had 18.8m viewers in UK, Ireland, NZ and Australia. 

I saw that 4.9m had tuned in to the BBC to watch the WC in the first two weeks. 

So 9m+ viewers just counting Aussies watching Aussie game and English watching English games.

It should smash the record.

new rise.jpg

13 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I'd be surprised if this wasn't true. 4 out of the top 5 tv shows every year in Aus are league matches. Aus has pulled a million plus viewers for all of their games except Lebanon.

So 9m+ viewers just counting Aussies watching Aussie game and English watching English games.

It was the biggest ever game I was referring too. 

I'm pretty sure the 92 World Cup Final will have dwarfed it purely because TV figures are way down in general.

58 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Where did you get those BBC numbers from? Is that this tournament or 2013?

10 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

The first claim could be true (aggregate tv viewing figures.) but I agree with you on biggest game.

I don't have figures for the 1992 or 1995  WC Finals from Wembley, but it could have easily been over 10 million for a Saturday afternoon BBC1 world cup final back then. (An episode of "Auntie's Sporting Bloomers" had an audience of 17 million in 1995,  "Question of Sport"  didn't drop below 10 million all year in 1992.)

Archived