When Vichy abolished rugby league

RayCee

I don't know anything about the source publication, but the article itself is quite well written

http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/culture/vichy-france-rugby-league-1-5281433

For any who need some background history of the subject, or perhaps a refresher for others....

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

I'm taking odds on how long this'll last on here!

Good article. Has the bias changed very much?

Part of our problem in furthering our game is the constant referral to code rather than sport the glass we're viewed through ....

We're not connected to union any more than as human beings we're connected chimpanzees.

It's not the history that will help us move forward but belief in our own product as better, faster and more skillful because of its rules not in spite of them. Establishing a clear and very different identity in the market place.

Having said that the lessons of the past are be prepared for what rivals may get up to!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

15 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Yes, read it quick before Dudley Wood moves it!!

Who's Dudley Woods?

By the way, that video clip from the '54 WC final was amazing. I was surprised at the throwing the ball around. I thought RL back then was stick it up your jumper and bash up the middle.

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

I'm taking odds on how long this'll last on here!

Good article. Has the bias changed very much?

Part of our problem in furthering our game is the constant referral to code rather than sport the glass we're viewed through ....

We're not connected to union any more the as human beings we're connected chimpanzees.

It's not the history that will help us move forward but belief in our own product as better, faster and more skillful because of its rules not in spite of them. Establishing a clear and very different identity in the market place.

Having said that the lessons of the past are be prepared for what rivals may get up to!

Absolutely true. I can't believe there has been no compensation. How can you do something so wrong and never have anything done about it.

6 hours ago, RayCee said:

I don't know anything about the source publication, but the article itself is quite well written

http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/culture/vichy-france-rugby-league-1-5281433

For any who need some background history of the subject, or perhaps a refresher for others....

The New European was launched last year (post-Brexit), and the only other thing I know about it is that Victor Lewis-Smith writes for them sometimes.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I thought I'd seen all the international clips from Pathé, but I certainly hadn't seen that one before. Brilliant footage.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Most French won’t even know about this as the place is so rural, people wouldn’t know or even care.  I think I spoke to maybe half a dozen French over the years in Perpignan who were aware, other than people involved in current RL clubs.

The people that are affected are those trying to spread the word  by engaging with schools.  Schools who are still restricted in what sports they offer.  

Imo the way to go is continue developing across the south east to west corridor and eventually link in to Bordeaux.  20 years maybe.

Great clip. 

Like 'This Sporting Life' but with garlic, Galoises and pastis added to the smell of embrocation.

I hated going to the million pound game, but I sensed more than a win for Catalans. I saw guys giving everything, coming together as a team, and the new signings and contracts give me real hope for the future of RL in France.

And Toulouse soon I hope.

And while I am here, I confess to having been to see Rugby XVichy side Stade Toulouse play Cardiff a few weeks ago, to prove to myself and others that i am not a bigoted clothcapper.

Great Stadium, excellent merchandising and sense of 'event', but frankly dire to watch. First time I've ever left a game before the end.

49 minutes ago, Tattersfieldtreiziste said:

Great clip. 

Like 'This Sporting Life' but with garlic, Galoises and pastis added to the smell of embrocation.

I hated going to the million pound game, but I sensed more than a win for Catalans. I saw guys giving everything, coming together as a team, and the new signings and contracts give me real hope for the future of RL in France.

And Toulouse soon I hope.

And while I am here, I confess to having been to see Rugby XVichy side Stade Toulouse play Cardiff a few weeks ago, to prove to myself and others that i am not a bigoted clothcapper.

Great Stadium, excellent merchandising and sense of 'event', but frankly dire to watch. First time I've ever left a game before the end.

Take it you're not a Wigan fan then? :)

51 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Most French won’t even know about this as the place is so rural, people wouldn’t know or even care.  I think I spoke to maybe half a dozen French over the years in Perpignan who were aware, other than people involved in current RL clubs.

The people that are affected are those trying to spread the word  by engaging with schools.  Schools who are still restricted in what sports they offer.  

Imo the way to go is continue developing across the south east to west corridor and eventually link in to Bordeaux.  20 years maybe.

I thought schools could now openly offer RL as a sport now, or is that still not the case? Seem to remember something about the previous President Carlos Zalduendo making a historic statement about it..........

18 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I thought schools could now openly offer RL as a sport now, or is that still not the case? Seem to remember something about the previous President Carlos Zalduendo making a historic statement about it..........

Barnia will know better, his kids are in school, but I think the truth is somewhere in between educating kids and actually getting them to play  The agreement in 2015 was to enable schoolteachers to be taught RL, given resources etc so they, in turn, could deliver it in schools.  A bit like a glorified Sky Try but involving signed agreements between FFr13 and Union de scolaires based on education.  

Our house in StCprien was close to the college.  I never saw it played there or at the junior school between there and la tour bas Elne and a teacher I played golf with, who is Belgian at a school in Perp said they just did football.

20 hours ago, RayCee said:

Who's Dudley Woods?

By the way, that video clip from the '54 WC final was amazing. I was surprised at the throwing the ball around. I thought RL back then was stick it up your jumper and bash up the middle.

The "creeping barrage" approach gradually became more of a p[roblem during the early 60s as coaching became more professionalised-the Aussies going to learn off Vince Lombardi etc.

I've been thinking about that clip and how expansive the game was. Today outside backs quickly cut back inside if there is any risk of being bundled into touch. I have a somewhat radical plan. When a player gets put into touch, it adds a tackle to the count, he comes in 5 or 10 metres and plays the ball.

This would encourage wingers to take on their opponent, even trying to go round them and skirt the touch line, knowing it won't be a disaster if taken over the line. Of course a player putting his foot on the line due to misjudgment, not because he was tackled, that would be as it is now. I think teams would go wider more often and there would be more edge of the field action if the risk was taken out. 

7 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I've been thinking about that clip and how expansive the game was. Today outside backs quickly cut back inside if there is any risk of being bundled into touch. I have a somewhat radical plan. When a player gets put into touch, it adds a tackle to the count, he comes in 5 or 10 metres and plays the ball.

This would encourage wingers to take on their opponent, even trying to go round them and skirt the touch line, knowing it won't be a disaster if taken over the line. Of course a player putting his foot on the line due to misjudgment, not because he was tackled, that would be as it is now. I think teams would go wider more often and there would be more edge of the field action if the risk was taken out. 

Well no teams would ever dispute that. Erm.

The current rules reward the player who uses the touchline as an extra defender, which is as it should be. I don't want to see players surrendering to be pushed out of play because it'll give their side an extra tackle. Too easily exploited.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Well no teams would ever dispute that. Erm.

The current rules reward the player who uses the touchline as an extra defender, which is as it should be. I don't want to see players surrendering to be pushed out of play because it'll give their side an extra tackle. Too easily exploited.

It doesn't give an extra tackle, it would count as a tackle and one less to use.

The attacker still has to beat his man. If he does it would be exciting play. Cutting back inside and back into the defensive cover is negative IMO.

6 minutes ago, RayCee said:

It doesn't give an extra tackle, it would count as a tackle and one less to use.

The attacker still has to beat his man. If he does it would be exciting play. Cutting back inside and back into the defensive cover is negative IMO.

You said "it adds a tackle to the count", which could be taken two different ways. I see what you mean now.

But there was a thread recently about how we needed to redress the balance of the game in favour of defences, so this idea* would certainly annoy some fans.

*as would virtually any idea, to be honest.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

You said "it adds a tackle to the count", which could be taken two different ways. I see what you mean now.

But there was a thread recently about how we needed to redress the balance of the game in favour of defences, so this idea* would certainly annoy some fans.

*as would virtually any idea, to be honest.

Any change to the rules need to be taken in context with other aims. Cutting back on the 10 metre defensive line along with what I suggested would get attackers to stand deeper and spread the distribution wider if going into touch wasn't such an issue. Banging up the middle for 5 tackles and kicking is beneficial with 10 metre defences, but rather too predictable. I think visually the game would be better and a bit more tactical with what I was thinking. Something to chew over.

I noticed in the film clip, when the shallower defence got into the attackers line , they threw looping overhead passes to the out side backs - with a great degree of accuracy - and then went wide on attack. 

Archived