Lebanon: Significant domestic media coverage and companies now wanting to invest in Lebanese rugby league

Copa

Amazing!

Shows how heritage players means different things to different nations. Some extracts from the complete article are below.

http://www.rlfans.com/index.php?id=1992

“Before departure to the tournament, LRLF directors Sami Garabedian and Nayef Abisaid appeared on four lengthy TV features with broadcasters OTV, LBC, New TV and Al Manar. LBC and MTV have had reporters in situ following the campaign, and the country’s print media has provided extensive coverage of a sport it has become increasingly familiar with over the past 15 years. All the major radio stations have kept their listeners updated of the historic progress.”

We started getting lots more requests from various outlets,” continued Habbous, who played for Balamand university in the LRL competition.”

Minister of State Pierre Raffoul officially represented the president of the republic along with the ambassador and consular general at the match against the Kangaroos, and increased government support is one of the LRLF’s targets, in addition to retaining strong links with the Lebanese-Australian community.

A number of companies are speaking to the LRLF to support multi-year development projects in Lebanon, including funding youth academies and affirmative action to use rugby league players to ensure talent and leadership remains there rather than emigrating.”

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lebanon don't qualify for World Cup's in other sports so it doesn't surprise me.  They could grow considerably with gov and corporate support. 

The issue for the other heritage nations is they do qualify in other sports with born and bred players. 

3 minutes ago, pahars said:

Lebanon don't qualify for World Cup's in other sports so it doesn't surprise me.  They could grow considerably with gov and corporate support. 

The issue for the other heritage nations is they do qualify in other sports with born and bred players. 

Maybe. But some nations also feel more connected to their diaspora than other nations.

I am also sure other Lebanese sports qualify for regional competitions.

14 minutes ago, Copa said:

Maybe. But some nations also feel more connected to their diaspora than other nations.

I am also sure other Lebanese sports qualify for regional competitions.

Maybe. I guess the fact that the Lebanese moved because of war rather then economic reasons might be a factor. 

Regional tourneys don't have the same ooopmth as a World Cup though do they? 

If you look at Georgia in the dark side they started to get huge government funding after appearing in a World Cup in Australia purely because it was the only World Cup they are going to get in and it was perceived as being great for the nation. 

12 minutes ago, pahars said:

If you look at Georgia in the dark side they started to get huge government funding after appearing in a World Cup in Australia purely because it was the only World Cup they are going to get in and it was perceived as being great for the nation. 

The union WC may be overblown with twenty nations participating, but offering places to the also rans has huge benefits for their code, as you mention above.

And to think that many in RL would like to see our WC contract to just the handful of main players. 

42 minutes ago, pahars said:

Maybe. I guess the fact that the Lebanese moved because of war rather then economic reasons might be a factor. 

Regional tourneys don't have the same ooopmth as a World Cup though do they? 

Georgia may not be an accurate comparison here. Maybe from a funding point of view yes but I read somewhere that interest stems from an ancient game that used to be played in Georgia which is similar to union 

1 minute ago, Jace said:

Georgia may not be an accurate comparison here. Maybe from a funding point of view yes but I read somewhere that interest stems from an ancient game that used to be played in Georgia which is similar to union 

I was only comparing them from a funding point of view. 

A really exciting devlopment but let's hope it's not undone by the geopolitics associated with that region. 

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

Well done Lebanon. In my view heritage teams are only useful when they use the exposure they get to improve the sport in the home country. This is something Scotland and Ireland need to take note of. 

Agree with this...long term heritage teams are not sustainable. Unless they contribute towards the development of the game in the home country they have limited value.

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

48 minutes ago, slowdive said:

Agree with this...long term heritage teams are not sustainable. Unless they contribute towards the development of the game in the home country they have limited value.

Each needs to be looked at in the round, but there needs to be local development. Great article on the BBC about the Irish perspective on the 6 Nations - using the team as a focus for a proper local pyramid. 

6 minutes ago, BladeHearts said:

I wonder if England would be brave enough to play a Test in Beirut... It would certainly garner unprecedented publicity.

Yes but not the publicity you think it would be ...crazy idea and no way; has nothing to do with bravery but simple common sense; you don't supply the enemy with a custom made target!!!....but any good news that lifts the spirits of the Lebanese people is 'Great' news for them.   This is a real feather in the cap for Rugby League and should be well publicized and proudly so.

GOOD WORK!

9 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Yes but not the publicity you think it would be ...crazy idea and no way; has nothing to do with bravery but simple common sense; you don't supply the enemy with a custom made target!!!....but any good news that lifts the spirits of the Lebanese people is 'Great' news for them.   This is a real feather in the cap for Rugby League and should be well publicized and proudly so.

GOOD WORK!

What do you mean?

I'm genuinely not sure what you mean by 'you don't supply the enemy with a ready made target'

8 hours ago, Copa said:

Amazing!

Shows how heritage players means different things to different nations. Some extracts from the complete article are below.

http://www.rlfans.com/index.php?id=1992

“Before departure to the tournament, LRLF directors Sami Garabedian and Nayef Abisaid appeared on four lengthy TV features with broadcasters OTV, LBC, New TV and Al Manar. LBC and MTV have had reporters in situ following the campaign, and the country’s print media has provided extensive coverage of a sport it has become increasingly familiar with over the past 15 years. All the major radio stations have kept their listeners updated of the historic progress.”

We started getting lots more requests from various outlets,” continued Habbous, who played for Balamand university in the LRL competition.”

Minister of State Pierre Raffoul officially represented the president of the republic along with the ambassador and consular general at the match against the Kangaroos, and increased government support is one of the LRLF’s targets, in addition to retaining strong links with the Lebanese-Australian community.

A number of companies are speaking to the LRLF to support multi-year development projects in Lebanon, including funding youth academies and affirmative action to use rugby league players to ensure talent and leadership remains there rather than emigrating.”

This is great news but it doesn’t surprise me. What also doesn’t surprise me as all the negative comments that inevitably turn up in a thread like this.  With the heritage place in Australia and a developing domestic game in Lebanon itself if The RL authorities in both in the northern hemisphere and the southern hemisphere give these teams the opportunity it could lead to another strong international RL team.  This shows that heritage teams or heritage players are not a bad thing in and of themselves. 

7 hours ago, Jace said:

Rugby Union is big here because of a similarity to an ancient sport played across the land.

Piley on.

Archived