Wow, wow, wow

DiH68

I didn’t want to post this in a thread where it would get bogged down in all the ...

I’m struggling for words right now to describe today.

i have never experienced anything like that atmosphere. I can’t even put into words what an absolute privilege it was to be there.

I was so happy for them when they scored what I thought was a consolation try ?.

And then that last five minutes!! ?????

but even afterwards, bloody hell do the Tongans celebrate! I’ll never forget leaving the stadium with that beautiful sound of the Tongans singing.

it was a special, special day. And bloody hell, I love this game!!

5 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

I didn’t want to post this in a thread where it would get bogged down in all the ...

i have never experienced anything like that atmosphere. I can’t even put into words what an absolute privilege it was to be there.

I was so happy for them when they scored what I thought was a consolation try ?.

but even afterwards, bloody hell do the Tongans celebrate! I’ll never forget leaving the stadium with that beautiful sound of the Tongans singing.

Bless you my child. It was simply astonishing from 12,000 miles away. It needs to be part of a RLWC show reel for all time.

When the Tongans start singing it is absolutely spine tingling. I say this when I was sitting bleary eyed at home, I can't imagine what it must be like in the stadium.

If the mid season test isn't sorted we should give them a rematch at the same venue

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

24 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

The envy from us UK-based fans is almost palpable. Luxuriate in it! B) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, DiH68 said:

You deserve to win the decade never mind the day.

The atmosphere came across over here brilliantly, the high shots of the stadium with a sea of red flags waving, and then the hymns were spine tingling. There a lot of people over here who will be very jealous of those that had the privilege of attending.

Even the players being interviewed post match were saying that it was a special day with a special atmosphere that they had never experienced the like of before.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 hours ago, DiH68 said:

I said the self same thing after the Samoa v Tonga game Di. They just never stop singing and flag waving before during and after the match. Slightly different to a Hull v Rovers Derby.

rldfsignature.jpg

The best 4 weeks :

Tonga v Samoa in Hamilton

NZ v Tonga in Hamilton

England v Tonga in Auckland

England v Australia in Brisbane

How good would that have been?

Though I would try and add a Fiji game in there somewhere

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

3 hours ago, Padge said:

The atmosphere came across over here brilliantly, the high shots of the stadium with a sea of red flags waving, and then the hymns were spine tingling. There a lot of people over here who will be very jealous of those that had the privilege of attending.

Even the players being interviewed post match were saying that it was a special day with a special atmosphere that they had never experienced the like of before.

The high shots were beautiful. The host broadcaster did an outstanding job on this one.

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

The best 4 weeks :

Tonga v Samoa in Hamilton

NZ v Tonga in Hamilton

England v Tonga in Auckland

England v Australia in Brisbane

How good would that have been?

Though I would try and add a Fiji game in there somewhere

I think it is hard to ignore the PNG games - particularly the response of the fans when they scored the late try vs Ireland.

5 hours ago, Scubby said:

There also seemed quite a few England fans in the ground too. Could you actually hear them?

Nope! Couldn’t hear them at all! It was almost like we were leaving it to the Tongan fans to enjoy their day. And why not. I’ve never felt so outnumbered, it was quite funny really. Whenever you saw another England fan we acknowledged each other with a rye smile and a bit of relief that we weren’t on our own ??

I was at the game yesterday and in my 33 years of watching the game I have never experienced anything remotely like it. We parked about a mile away and for blocks around the stadium there were houses decked out in Tongan colours, parties going on everywhere, cars driving up and down covered in flags with music booming out and people of all ages from babes in arms to old folk in wheelchairs dressed in Tongan colours. I have also never experienced so many people come up to me before a game and say may the best team win, or indeed so many people come up to me after a game to say great game and wish England all the best for the final. Even after the match there were flags waving and car horns blaring long into the evening. Lost count of how many people shook my hand walking back to the car, it was a completely unique experience. Tongans are some of the friendliest and loudest people I have ever met, it was the highlight of the trip without a doubt.

12 hours ago, Scubby said:

There also seemed quite a few England fans in the ground too. Could you actually hear them?

You could. I was next to a few which was nice.

Completely echo the sentiments of the posts above, from the utter bedlam and complete wonderfulness of the Tongans to the complete dismay at how the sport is run.

I feel extremely priveleged to have been there; one of the best experiences ive ever had and will carry optimism into Brisbane. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

After watching a magnificent RL game and listening to the spine tingling Singing from the Tongan supporters I am going suggest to the RFL that they twin Super League with Songs of Praise.

We could always get Jesse Yates via a medium to introduce the players onto the pitch; each player could have a psalm on the back of his jeresy instead of a traditional number; the ref could stand in a pulpit on the halfway line; at half time the teams can tuck into loaves and fishes .....

Hang on .... this could be a goerr ... what is Nige's number?

I have been watching international rugby league for over 50 years and never experienced anything remotely like the Tonga match.  I would re-iterate what others have said about the Tonga fans before and after the game.  They were so friendly and welcoming.  My wife and I were totally surrounded by Tonga fans in the upper stand on the East side of the ground in the corner where Fifita nearly scored.  Despite their disappointment many congratulated us on our win and there was no threat whatsoever.  I’m pretty sure that fans of any sport in the UK would have taken it differently.  It was an incredible experience but boy was that last minute tense.  It took several minutes for my racing heart to settle down!  

This was a great thread, then it got dragged off topic into another unnecessary bout of whining and moaning about stuff, stuff that is already well catered for in dozens of other threads.

So, I've deleted all the whining and moaning and returned this thread to its original state of people just wanting to share how much they enjoyed a Rugby League match.

Please stay on topic, and moan about stuff elsewhere.

Thanks.

Archived