RLWC Final may struggle to sell out.

Scubby

4 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It's a bit like pointing out that Widnes have beaten Wigan a few times in the last few years and making out that we should be a big draw for Wigan fans. We're not because Wigan fans don't see beating Widnes as an achievement. I'm sure if we had a season like Cas that would change.

That's not a like for like comparison though is it? Widnes beating Wigan in the GF and a couple of Challenge Cup finals is more comparable.

rldfsignature.jpg

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

That's not a like for like comparison though is it? Widnes beating Wigan in the GF and a couple of Challenge Cup finals is more comparable.

Not really because getting to one of those would require Widnes to be of a relatively high standard. NZ only need to beat England to make a final.

It is nothing to do with competitiveness it is pure laziness by the authorities just putting a game on and hoping the same folk will turn up. International RL should be aiming for a whole new audience in addition to the normal NRL crowd. Why haven't Slater/Cronk/Smith been bill boarded as "they greatest combination of all time"? "Come and see legends make history?"

Their attempts at marketing seem to be talking down the competition and anyone who struggles to match Australia. In other sports they would be lauded as the greatest show on earth.

6 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Love how many threads become Aussies trying to explain - not defend, or support, but explain - the apathy about international league here, and English people telling us we're wrong.

When the excuses involve the season starting eight months ago and everyone is at the beach - and then the viewing figures are great, then it sounds like you Aussies maybe need to work on your story!

18 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Love how many threads become Aussies trying to explain - not defend, or support, but explain - the apathy about international league here, and English people telling us we're wrong.

Many Australians on here don't do that at all. They vehemently defend anything they perceive to be anti-Australian even when it is not, people wanting neutral referees is a good example of this, and all logic and reason goes out the window.

Just now, Damien said:

Many Australians on here don't do that at all. They vehemently defend anything they perceive to be anti-Australian even when it is not, people wanting neutral referees is a good example of this, and all logic and reason goes out the window.

Fair enough. I'm talking about the crowds issue mainly. I've been caught up in a few of these conversations (often with old mate above). They usually go like this: I enter a thread about crowds, I see posts questioning why crowds are low, I give my opinion (a combination of locations, ticket prices, how the general Aus public regards international league) which is based on my experience being a league fan who has lived everywhere from Mackay to Melbourne, I get howled down for being wrong and being a typical arrogant Aussie and don't I realise NZ have won a couple of finals etc etc And I've seen the cycle happen to a few others too... it's actually kinda funny.

8 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Fair enough. I'm talking about the crowds issue mainly. I've been caught up in a few of these conversations (often with old mate above). They usually go like this: I enter a thread about crowds, I see posts questioning why crowds are low, I give my opinion (a combination of locations, ticket prices, how the general Aus public regards international league) which is based on my experience being a league fan who has lived everywhere from Mackay to Melbourne, I get howled down for being wrong and being a typical arrogant Aussie and don't I realise NZ have won a couple of finals etc etc And I've seen the cycle happen to a few others too... it's actually kinda funny.

I think you mistake me for somebody else as we have had very few conversations. But i do recall a similar hissy fit a week or two ago when i had rarely spoken to you then.

And you havent given an opinion on this thread, or been howled down for it. You came on for an argument. 

Cross Posting my analysis of the actual tickets on sale on Ticketek from the other rugby league forum:

As to the Final, there is whole 'double line seats' strategy that was used throughout the Pool Matches to ensure that Bays would appear full by selling every second row of seats.

Well, this is now in place for the Final. Bays 639, 640 and 604 on the Upper Western are now selling every row. On the Northern side, 334 and 330 are the same, on the Southern side it is 309 and 313.

In addition, two more CAT B Bays (533 and and 531) have been opened on the 2nd tier of the Northern sides. These are empty.

I've said this a few times now and I don't want to hark on about doom and gloom, but I perceive that the RLWC have given up on attempting a 'sell out' and are now trying to mitigate by having the stadium appear to be as full as possible with a high 30,000 crowd. I take the sold PAX with a grain of salt and just have not seen another movement to be confident of anything much greater.

But in a way it makes no difference. Moreover, the lower the crowd and the flatter the atmosphere, the better our chances. In the 3rd test in 1988 their was the same combination of contempt for our chances and apathy, and that turned out fine and dandy. 

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Of what? Selling tickets for the final as per the thread title?

England’s chances of victory.

Seems everyone is more preoccupied with crowd numbers, which is a worrying sign for England when fans need to find things other than possible victory to talk about.

4 minutes ago, Woodies said:

Seems everyone is more preoccupied with crowd numbers, which is a worrying sign for England when fans need to find things other than possible victory to talk about.

Not really. There's only so much you can say about the chances of winning a game.

The issue of crowds at this game and the World Cup in general is a far wider and more controversial one. 

4 minutes ago, Woodies said:

It is a ticket sales thread.

There is a match thread pinned at the top of the forum which discusses the on field stuff, current discussion focusing on Heighington's selection.

This thread highlights the truly staggering levels of incompetence that exists within the sport's ruling organisations.

Utterly not fit for purpose.

4 years to organise a World Cup in the global capital of Rugby League, following on from a moderately successful UK based tournament, from which some easy lessons could have been learned, and a lot of positives simply copied.

4 whole years to organise something that could have generated finance to strengthen the sports position globally.

300k spectators across the entire tournament???? No wonder people drift away from the game. Union gets that in 1 weekend of autumn friendlies FFS.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

3 minutes ago, Celt said:

This thread highlights the truly staggering levels of incompetence that exists within the sport's ruling organisations.

Utterly not fit for purpose.

4 years to organise a World Cup in the global capital of Rugby League, following on from a moderately successful UK based tournament, from which some easy lessons could have been learned, and a lot of positives simply copied.

4 whole years to organise something that could have generated finance to strengthen the sports position globally.

300k spectators across the entire tournament???? No wonder people drift away from the game. Union gets that in 1 weekend of autumn friendlies FFS.

Weirdly though all the hand wringing on this ticket sales subject seems to be coming from the UK...

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Weirdly though all the hand wringing on this ticket sales subject seems to be coming from the UK...

Go onto an Aussie forum if you want to see Aussies moaning about ticket sales because there is a far bigger thread there.

Archived