It's that time.......again! HMRC

roughyed34

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if anybody is interested, but the accounts up till 31st of October 2016 have just been submitted to companies house. another 5 days and the late filing penalty would have been £1.500 instead of the now £750.

so go to companies house beta.

type in Oldham rlfc 1997 ltd the accounts are there. 

Looking at the figures and I'm no accountant I assure you! Am I right in thinking that the council have written the debt off with the surrender of the lease? The drop in creditors falling within one year seems to be around 80k ish,the amount we owed the council? My head hurts haha, so the overall state of play is that the club has managed to increase debt overall in the first Championship season by £43500? I can't cope,hopefully someone with more nous than me can explain the figures in layman's terms  ?

On 27/01/2018 at 12:58 AM, roughyed34 said:

Looking at the figures and I'm no accountant I assure you! Am I right in thinking that the council have written the debt off with the surrender of the lease? The drop in creditors falling within one year seems to be around 80k ish,the amount we owed the council? My head hurts haha, so the overall state of play is that the club has managed to increase debt overall in the first Championship season by £43500? I can't cope,hopefully someone with more nous than me can explain the figures in layman's terms  ?

Don't worry yourself mate,as long as the boys are running out to represent the club that's all we can hope for.Unless someone wins the euromillions this is as good as it's going to get.

• 2 weeks later...

If the council have written this debt off then when it comes to the next local elections vote for another party in protest. I feel the debt should stand but remember latics have also had their fair share of council cash.They do away with these debts at the expense of the tax payer and then have the cheek to put up council tax whilst pleading poverty. The majority of the town don't even support either club judging by attendances at both clubs.No wonder the town and indeed the country are knackered with wallies like them running the show.But that's just me,rant over.Phew!.

Before I start can I just say I do not work for, or have anything to do with Oldham council, or any other council for that matter, and never have. I don't even live in Oldham, I live in Stalybridge (but more of that later).
People on here keep banging on about why the council should spend money on the Rugby team when it is just for the benefit of 400 or so people, and that they begrudge their council tax being spent on the Rugby club. I shall outline below why it is not for the benefit of the ORLFC 400 (I would actually say it is a lot more than this, but that is another story) .
Firstly the specific situation of the 70 odd grand that was (presumably) waved. This was waved so that they could give the ground to Avro as par of the deal to get them off the Lancaster club grounds. They then sold the land to developers for several million quid. Also, I don't know how many houses they are going to build there, but if we say for arguments sake 100, that is 100 lots of extra council tax, which I would guess is about £120,000 a year for a good while to come. This sounds like reasonably good business if you ask me.
 If we now look at the situation of Oldham playing at Stalybridge.
Oldham's average crowd in the first year at the Bower was 831. Let us say that this bunch of 831 people spent an average of £20 a piece while visiting Staly to attend the Rugby. This £20 does not include admission to the ground, but things like a few pints in the local pubs, something to eat, the odd person must have popped into a local shop to buy a packet of fags, or filled the car with fuel etc. It doesn't stop there. I should imagine there must be one or two people have returned to Staly on non match days to visit someplace they spotted on matchdays, like a restaurant they came back to because it looked like somewhere decent to take the girlfriend/boyfriend (If you take them out in Oldham there is more chance of the wife/husband finding out. Hahahahha - sorry) I personally moved back to the North West at the same time we moved to the bower, and would not have thought to look for a place to live here if I had not come up to watch ORLFC (told you there would be more about me living in Staly).
Anyway, 20 quid a piece each home game of which there was 16, so that is £20 x 831 x 16, which gives a grand total of £265,920.... Over quarter of a million spondooliks. Not an amount to sneered at in anybody's retirement fund.
That money all went into the Stalybridge economy, and a large amount of that coming out of Oldhams economy. Keeping it all in Oldham makes the town that little bit more affluent (no, affluent, not effluent) and don't forget this is not a one off figure, it is an annual figure depending on how successful (how big the average attendance is) but I guess you get the drift.
The third reason is that having a (semi-) professional sports team or two in the town promotes the town. The more the name of the town gets mentioned in the general media (as long as it is positive mentions) the better it is for business within the town, it makes it easier to attract business, and for companies already based here to do business. Any major business knows the value of corporate awareness, Oldham plc is no different, and having a sports team named after you is a cheap way of spreading awareness. So it is good economics to chuck a couple of hundred thousand at the local sports teams every couple of years in an effort to raise the profile of the teams and therefore the town, all councils worth there salt do it, and if you are not sure I can give you examples.
Right, done now. Going back to sleep until Sunday.
COME ON OLDHAM.

Totally agree fluffy bed but Oldham rugby had many chances to stay in Oldham brough and bring the money you talk about but the private company who own our rugby club didn't pay its rent to the football club and then to the council which are us tax payers 

so yes Oldham rugby took business to Ashton but it's cos the private company trading as our team did this to make more money not for rugby reasons 

Archived