Challenge cup 2018

The draw has been very kind to the top sides and unkind to the unfancied sides. As hopping mad says - only Featherstone Lions .v. Skirlaugh is a possibility for me. I don't know where you get Saddleworth putting out Thatto Heath from though mate, having watched them both a couple of times last season. I would have £20 on Pilks winning at Wallsend. Feel sorry for the Valley Cougars as they are my local side when I stay in the Rhondda (watched them a few times) and they always get drawn away.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

I'll go for Featherstone Lions beating Skirlaugh and (if the pitch is a bog) Saddleworth Rangers putting out Thatto Heath. Can't see many possible upsets in that draw.

I think Leigh miners will upset Myton, but probably won't really be thought as as an upset even though it's now division 1 v premier division. Miners home advantage and experience in this competition I feel will just about get them through.

23 hours ago, Celtic Rooster said:

The draw has been very kind to the top sides and unkind to the unfancied sides. As hopping mad says - only Featherstone Lions .v. Skirlaugh is a possibility for me. I don't know where you get Saddleworth putting out Thatto Heath from though mate, having watched them both a couple of times last season. I would have £20 on Pilks winning at Wallsend. Feel sorry for the Valley Cougars as they are my local side when I stay in the Rhondda (watched them a few times) and they always get drawn away.

Looking forward to hosting Valley Cougars - whilst we're expecting nothing less than a comprehensive win, they're an unknown quantity which is always dangerous so will not be taken lightly. 

6 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Looking forward to hosting Valley Cougars - whilst we're expecting nothing less than a comprehensive win, they're an unknown quantity which is always dangerous so will not be taken lightly. 

I might come over the hill for that game, in one of my Welsh RL shirts! Is it being played Saturday or Sunday? I think the Cougars normally play Sunday and may struggle for a side on a Saturday. Even with a full side you should beat them comfortably at your place.

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:44 PM, Celtic Rooster said:

I went to watch Wallsend in the summer against Cramlington, Wallsend had had a few decent individuals but against a well organised defence and attack and being a lot quicker at the play the ball, I think Pilks will walk it in the last 20 minutes.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:20 PM, BARRETT said:

I thought Queens had disbanded.  Obviously not - but what did they win to enable them to be included in the RLCC?

Didn't they come 2nd in the Pennine premier ?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 15/12/2017 at 10:12 AM, Mr Smeaton said:

In reply to Hunslet green&gold about clubs not entering the RFL's prestigious trophy, how come Toulouse haven't entered? 

They'll come in with the Championship sides wont they?

Just read Aaron Bower's interview with Nigel Wood in RLLE and he explained why Toulouse haven't entered the challenge cup. I remember when amateur clubs were well rewarded financially when they played e.g. Silk Cut were the sponsors now the money has dried up. When Wath Brow traveled to Portsmouth it cost them a small fortune 

10 hours ago, Mr Smeaton said:

Just read Aaron Bower's interview with Nigel Wood in RLLE and he explained why Toulouse haven't entered the challenge cup. I remember when amateur clubs were well rewarded financially when they played e.g. Silk Cut were the sponsors now the money has dried up. When Wath Brow traveled to Portsmouth it cost them a small fortune 

This discussion is a myth. The club had their travel paid in its entirity by the RFL. 

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

Hunslet Club Parkside v Valley Cougars game OFF , due to Valley Cougars going to a wedding and not being able to raise a team ......not good enough .....

A shame, making a mockery of the Challenge Cup, no doubt had they included West Bowling who on merit by winning Div3 of the NCL last year would that game have gone ahead, won't be good for HCP either who would I assume have been using this game as a friendly of sorts.

5 minutes ago, LightningWB said:

A shame, making a mockery of the Challenge Cup, no doubt had they included West Bowling who on merit by winning Div3 of the NCL last year would that game have gone ahead, won't be good for HCP either who would I assume have been using this game as a friendly of sorts.

Been going backwards and forwards between both clubs and the RFL for about 3 weeks now , they wanted it moving to Sunday but after the wedding they would'nt be in any fit state to travel and play anyway , we've 2 games in 48 hours next weekend , 1st being Ovenden on Saturday in the BARLA Nat cup 2nd rd and then Hunslet RLFC 24hrs later .....and yes this game would have been our 1st game of the season...

42 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

Been going backwards and forwards between both clubs and the RFL for about 3 weeks now , they wanted it moving to Sunday but after the wedding they would'nt be in any fit state to travel and play anyway , we've 2 games in 48 hours next weekend , 1st being Ovenden on Saturday in the BARLA Nat cup 2nd rd and then Hunslet RLFC 24hrs later .....and yes this game would have been our 1st game of the season...

Isn't it possible to attend a wedding without getting drunk? The RFL should have kicked Valley Cougars out of the competition as soon as they started complaining about playing on the 27th, and allowed another club to take their place. Does this behaviour by Valley Cougars merit a 'bringing the game into disrepute' charge?

26 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Isn't it possible to attend a wedding without getting drunk? The RFL should have kicked Valley Cougars out of the competition as soon as they started complaining about playing on the 27th, and allowed another club to take their place. Does this behaviour by Valley Cougars merit a 'bringing the game into disrepute' charge?

In my experience the development areas tend to get their wishes as to whether they play Saturday or Sundays .

5 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

I do think sides entering must suffer w consequence not turning up. Parkside will have bought food etc in preparation. We had it happen to us last time we played in the challenge cup with a welsh side. Bonymean broncos. They just didn’t turn up. I think they just enter and hope for a home draw

3 hours ago, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

Second time Valley Cougars have done this. Three year ban from the comp... i hope the RFL throw the book at them.

All challenge cup rounds used to have Sunday as the default day didnt they? Has that changed?

It’s never been automatically a Sunday

Its usually the hosts normal day, so when it’s amateur teams that’d be usually a Saturday

Archived