BBC Promoting RLWC final (not)

Just watched the sports report on BBC breakfast and again not a mention of the Final on Saturday,no team news, no interviews with players, nothing

the way they are ignoring it is a disgrace, you wouldn't know they had the rights to the final or even that it is on in Three days if the BBC had their way.

But there was a story about a bunch of fat hooligans wearing hooped shirts breaking a set of rugby posts?!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, roughyed8 said:

But there was a story about a bunch of fat hooligans wearing hooped shirts breaking a set of rugby posts?!

So Wigan are testing the durability of their new home  kit.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

1 hour ago, roughyed8 said:

Just watched the sports report on BBC breakfast and again not a mention of the Final on Saturday,no team news, no interviews with players, nothing

the way they are ignoring it is a disgrace, you wouldn't know they had the rights to the final or even that it is on in Three days if the BBC had their way.

Complain to the BBC. No one on here is going to do that for you.  The more of us who complain, the more time and effort the BBC has to put into explaining why they are right and we are wrong. 

12 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Complain to the BBC. No one on here is going to do that for you.  The more of us who complain, the more time and effort the BBC has to put into explaining why they are right and we are wrong. 

Apathy affects most folks at some time.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

I've complained to the BBC on several occasions, but all you get is a bog standard response about it has been a very busy time regarding sport and they have to be selective. I haven't seen anything at all about the game. But they did manage a big feature, in prime time, about the Fylde v Wigan Athletic FA Cup tie on Friday.

23 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

I've complained to the BBC on several occasions, but all you get is a bog standard response about it has been a very busy time regarding sport and they have to be selective. I haven't seen anything at all about the game. But they did manage a big feature, in prime time, about the Fylde v Wigan Athletic FA Cup tie on Friday.

Dont accept their response. Complain agsin that they have not answered your points.

There was an ad on BBC 5 live this morning and an interview with Alex Walmsley.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

19 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What kind of viewing figures are the BBC getting for this World Cup?  Highlights packages included?

Only couple of numbers I have seen quoted were c500k for the peak of the semi final in the 5am slot. Apparently the week earlier on BBC2 we had around 270k. 

So this weekend we will play on BBC1 at a reasonable time, so hopefully some decent numbers.

Unfortunately the numbers are too low to feature on any Barb reports.

Just now, Dave T said:

Only couple of numbers I have seen quoted were c500k for the peak of the semi final in the 5am slot. Apparently the week earlier on BBC2 we had around 270k. 

So this weekend we will play on BBC1 at a reasonable time, so hopefully some decent numbers.

Thanks for this.

12 minutes ago, iangidds said:

I'm sorry but the RFl should be spoon feeding stories to the BBC , that's the only way we will get noticed ; but once again they do sweet fa (or appear to do so)

Why do you assume they aren't?

The BBC have the rights to this tournament and show them almost begrudgingly.

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Thanks for this.

interestingly, due to the poor scheduling, the England semi final got low figures in Australia (c185k iirc) - and 500k in the UK. Not sure how it did in NZ - but surely these numbers show how we need to get smarter with our scheduling for the international markets?

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'd say that's quite reasonable for games at 5am

14 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

There was an ad on BBC 5 live this morning and an interview with Alex Walmsley.

Sean O'loughlin was interviewed yesterday i think on 5live.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I often wonder whether RL might be better off with another free to air partner for things like Super League highlights.

I think Channel 4 for instance might be able to give it the magic touch in the same way they successfully branded NFL and Italian football to a new audience in a stylish fashion.

They even managed to make test cricket seem exciting many years ago to a new audience albeit it was an exciting Ashes series they had to play with.

Back on topic - hopefully the cross-promotion across all their media platforms of the Rugby League World Cup Final will pick up in the final 48 hours.

I can’t think of anything else taking place in that time slot for a sports fan except maybe Soccer AM.

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

interestingly, due to the poor scheduling, the England semi final got low figures in Australia (c185k iirc) - and 500k in the UK. Not sure how it did in NZ - but surely these numbers show how we need to get smarter with our scheduling for the international markets?

I'm guessing it was all determined by the $ from Channel 7. Perhaps if we had parties interested in the rights on these shores and willing to stump up significant £ to show the matches at decent times, then we'd have a say

11 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I'm guessing it was all determined by the $ from Channel 7. Perhaps if we had parties interested in the rights on these shores and willing to stump up significant £ to show the matches at decent times, then we'd have a say

Well based on the fact that 7mate got poor figures for this, I suspect that the kick off time for this particular game wasn't a crucial one for them.

Maybe if we weren't offering 5am games there would be more value here.

Chicken and egg.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I often wonder whether RL might be better off with another free to air partner for things like Super League highlights.

I think Channel 4 for instance might be able to give it the magic touch in the same way they successfully branded NFL and Italian football to a new audience in a stylish fashion.

They even managed to make test cricket seem exciting many years ago to a new audience albeit it was an exciting Ashes series they had to play with.

Channel 4 are notoriously flaky with sports. What may seem like a good idea now, might not do when we're dumped in a couple of years because a new head of channel comes in.

In recent years C4 has lost the NFL to the BBC, has gained BDO darts but from what I read will not be extending beyond the next tournament, has taken on F1 (but only as the BBC needed to get rid) but is also losing that at the end of it's current contract. The only thing it seems to have a long term enthusiasm for is Paralympic coverage.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Archived