BBC Promoting RLWC final (not)

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Well based on the fact that 7mate got poor figures for this, I suspect that the kick off time for this particular game wasn't a crucial one for them.

Maybe if we weren't offering 5am games there would be more value here.

Chicken and egg.

It is chicken and egg, but it's clear the current committee were only interested in making as much from the current WC, based around the Australian TV deal they negotiated. KO times will I imagine be determined by 7.

This is the issue with international tournaments not been managed centrally by the RLIF but in effect sub-contracted.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the BBC, all you can do is continually complain regarding this matter.  I am up to 8 complaints regarding lack of news coverage (sad, I know) tomorriw will be 9 and Friday 10.  

I’ve received 4 bogstandard responses to date.  By the time the WCF is over, I might have received 6 or 7.  After that I’ll try and identify who to escalate my complaint to.  Wherever it gets me I’ll download here.  Extremely powerful organisation who can manipulate whatever they like!

17 minutes ago, Amber Avenger said:

Channel 4 are notoriously flaky with sports. What may seem like a good idea now, might not do when we're dumped in a couple of years because a new head of channel comes in.

In recent years C4 has lost the NFL to the BBC, has gained BDO darts but from what I read will not be extending beyond the next tournament, has taken on F1 (but only as the BBC needed to get rid) but is also losing that at the end of it's current contract. The only thing it seems to have a long term enthusiasm for is Paralympic coverage.

I’m not sure they’re flakey as oppose to that they don’t really have the firepower to hold onto to sports long enough in an age of huge tv sports contracts.

Do you feel that the BBC are doing a good job in their coverage of Super League highlights?  If so, fair enough.  I just feel we could do better with a commercial free to air partner.

Channel 4 seemed to fit the bill for me because they have a young audience (which our sport is crying out for) and a great track record of popularising niche sports.

47 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m not sure they’re flakey as oppose to that they don’t really have the firepower to hold onto to sports long enough in an age of huge tv sports contracts.

Do you feel that the BBC are doing a good job in their coverage of Super League highlights?  If so, fair enough.  I just feel we could do better with a commercial free to air partner.

Channel 4 seemed to fit the bill for me because they have a young audience (which our sport is crying out for) and a great track record of popularising niche sports.

I have no problem with the content the BBC itself puts out, the Super League show is pretty decent, it's the times that it goes out which are the issue and in terms of highlights is probably the major thing another broadcaster can improve on.

So say it went out on Saturday/Sunday afternoons, Channel 4 would have to ask if RL highlights would be worth be a better investment than repeats of The Simpsons/Big Bang Theory etc they have already paid for and do pretty decent business at a time where nobody is really watching TV. They aren't going to put it prime time in a million years.

Personally I think C4 is so far away from being interested in RL the point is mooter than moot - and we are never going to wrestle a weekly live SL game away from Sky like some seem to be obsessed with. 

I also think the phrase " a great track record of popularising niche sports" is over-egging the pudding. The only two that can lay a decent claim to that is the Paralympics and maybe the NFL. To me the NFL more in the 90s and even then they lost the rights in 1997 and it was nowhere near as popular as when they regained the rights 13 years later when the NFL had been via C5, ITV and the BBC before going back to the BBC a couple of years ago again. Even then C4 were putting the highlights out early in the morning or late at night.

Everything else has had a tremendous amount of good luck or hard work behind the scenes. Italian football - if you can call that niche - has World Cup 90 and Gazza going over there to thank for it's success, rather than just buying the rights and hoping for the best (Face of C4 coverage James Richardson has admitted as much). Cricket was never niche, but I imagine their coverage of the brilliant 2005 ashes is remembered more fondly than the preceeding 6 years of coverage - and 2005 would have been popular on any FTA channel.

Channel 4 likely wouldn't have bought into the Paralympics if they had never been in London (but subsequently did an amazing job), to me the question has to be what would be the catalyst for them to get involved in RL as it doesn't particularly fit the rest of the portfolio of the channel at all. Suddenly being on C4 hasn't noticeably made a difference to the popularity of BDO darts, F1 or Horse Racing (another sport it's lost the rights to after the BBC had to offload). 

I think the only real home for RL should it leave the BBC would be ITV 4 - and would that be any better than we have already? I doubt it

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

It is chicken and egg, but it's clear the current committee were only interested in making as much from the current WC, based around the Australian TV deal they negotiated. KO times will I imagine be determined by 7.

This is the issue with international tournaments not been managed centrally by the RLIF but in effect sub-contracted.

To be fair to them it was more complex than that as this was a Kiwi staged game.

Without question there needs to be basic principles around some of the WC requirements for future tournaments.

7 appear to have had a key requirement around the Friday night games, but many of the other kickoffs were a bit random.

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

There is logic to that. The BBC dont really have a stake in pushing the sport. A commercial FTA broadcaster would want to maximise viewership and such have more of an incentive to push the sport.

The issue is that our content is negligible. An hour a week at the moment maximum. If we could get an extra game per week on say ITV or C4, plus a highlights programme it would make a massive difference to our visibility. However that is unlikely due to our lack of confidence and comfortable relationship with Sky. 

agree a different commercial partner on free to air would certainly want/need to push the games more because they want the veiwership so to sell adverts for more etc.. 

however, that wont help us be on major news channels anymore than we are, or featured in places where people will accidentally spot a news story or interest piece etc which is slightly different and even with more coverage from a different free to air station we still need this.. the sadest thing is that I dont think this is all that hard.. what it needs is an RFL press machine that wants do so some work.. feed stories, even nonsense feel good stories, to the press.. give them easy to digest easy to use news (even if it means having to get an interview done or a short piece to camera done yourself to then send out to news channels).. basically do the job of these news services yourself and just send it in for them to post online. Makes their job very easy and they get free content.. 

I'm not saying its easy but the RFL need to do more... 

4 minutes ago, RP London said:

agree a different commercial partner on free to air would certainly want/need to push the games more because they want the veiwership so to sell adverts for more etc.. 

however, that wont help us be on major news channels anymore than we are, or featured in places where people will accidentally spot a news story or interest piece etc which is slightly different and even with more coverage from a different free to air station we still need this.. the sadest thing is that I dont think this is all that hard.. what it needs is an RFL press machine that wants do so some work.. feed stories, even nonsense feel good stories, to the press.. give them easy to digest easy to use news (even if it means having to get an interview done or a short piece to camera done yourself to then send out to news channels).. basically do the job of these news services yourself and just send it in for them to post online. Makes their job very easy and they get free content.. 

I'm not saying its easy but the RFL need to do more... 

There is lots of stuff on Facebook with player interviews etc. so I'm guessing the mainstream broadcasters generally just aren't interested in it

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

There is lots of stuff on Facebook with player interviews etc. so I'm guessing the mainstream broadcasters generally just aren't interested in it

its one thing posting it on facebook but do they get it out to anybody else... most people will go for the easy option so sports that spoon feed them, then they become busy with that and dont need to/dont have time to/ arent interested in searching for it, send it directly to them so they have to do little/no work 

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I couldnt agree more that the RFL have to do more to get us more visibility in more places, they have to produce content if they want others to show it. You are 100% correct there.

However, for the largest part of our season we are locked away completely behind a paywall where our visibility is low. If we had an FTA presence pushing our visibility then news would naturally pick up on our stories. 

I'm not sure I agree that a different FTA and more presence on TV would mean more news stories but equally it wouldnt do us any harm. After all RU doesnt have FTA TV really outside of the international season and they still get good coverage, cricket also. 

when you look at the front page of the BBC sport it is almost always dominated by football and depending on the time of year RU and Cricket. When you look at the number of clubs in football you can see how there will just be a huge weight of stories flowing about someone or something or some club. RU are great at none stories and cricket is played almost every day during the summer so there is always something going on.. I would say Football and cricket dont need to worry too much they have naturally things going on all the time. RU has a very good press machine, and we all know that, so they get these none stories out.. we just need to learn to do that more IMHO. 

But I do agree that a move from BBC to someone more committed wouldnt do us any harm, a move away just for the sake of it though may not be a good move.

Cricket dont have any FTA coverage and RU is minimal outside of the International period... Aviva premiership gets much better coverage and cricket the same during the season. 

As I say I agree that FTA coverage done better at better times will not harm the game, what they did with the mid season international was ludicrous they should have given it away..  

44 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Probably right.  Iirc a media guy came on here and asked for stories to be sent to him as the RLF didn’t give much out.  I remember he was criticised for being lazy, rightly so, but if that’s what’s got to happen, make it happen.  Take away those excuses.  

pretty shameful these days given most people can link into feeds from all around the world.  

1 hour ago, RP London said:

its one thing posting it on facebook but do they get it out to anybody else... most people will go for the easy option so sports that spoon feed them, then they become busy with that and dont need to/dont have time to/ arent interested in searching for it, send it directly to them so they have to do little/no work 

And you don't think the RFL do this? I would be surprised. If they go to the effort of posting on FB etc then it's not difficult to forward it onto other media. I suspect this was behind some of the rationale for creating the Our League app, as a lot of coverage is not getting into the mainstream

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

And you don't think the RFL do this? I would be surprised. If they go to the effort of posting on FB etc then it's not difficult to forward it onto other media. I suspect this was behind some of the rationale for creating the Our League app, as a lot of coverage is not getting into the mainstream

No I don't think they do this at all... the press department has been woeful for years. 

this is the bbc we are talking about - they showed their true colours in their disgraceful treatment of Brian Mathew earlier in the year - an institution so outdated and belligerent they already make harrys new bird (forgot her name ) look like value for our money, the bbc paid for the rights? no they didn't - we did with our licence fee- some ru fan is on 75k a year sat in a trendy café  bar reading our emails of complaint as a job description then closing his laptop lid and heading off to measured up for a new man bag - time to ditch the bbc - if they wont listen to us

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Since when has anybody thought the BBC gives a stuff about RL? Look at the tags. Stories months old. They can't be Ar..d. Then again, if the people at the top of the RL can't be ar..d, do you blame the the BBC.? I don't, I really don't.

3 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

But RU and Cricket have that massive international FTA presence and that is where, largely, the news reports. I wouldnt say county cricket or the aviva premiership have a significant presence on the news compared to SL.

For a highlights programme we probably wont get anything more than what we get now, lets be honest. If we were to provide magazine shows and live games then i think we would be pushed massively. This would hopefully then also feed in to our Sky coverage as our larger visibility and recognition would drive more viewers.

But we would need to be comfortable in pushing Sky to accept a non-exclusive deal in return for more content which we don't seem to be, (though, as ive said elsewhere, Sky are showing they are comfortable with non-exclusivity with other sports, and their new line up was designed to show the number of people subscribing for specific sports, if ours is 'higher' then there is no reason that splitting the content wouldnt be ameniable)

Another way i have wondered if we could achieve it is 9's comps which are efficient  in that there is only one camera crew necessary, it would take up a whole weekend's programming though usually in place of just results while still allowing ad-breaks.

Lets ignore the sky exclusivity point and any international rights and focus on the contebt point that you have raised a few times.

How do you see increased terrestrial presence through us creating more content, and how does that look for say the Aviva Prem which does more stuff?

Whay do they have above and beyond us that we can hope to learn from?

I am talking solely UK tv.

I dont watch any club RU but what do they have above and beyond live matches and a highlights show? Interested what is produced by them and what is produced by the broadcasters.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Lets ignore the sky exclusivity point and any international rights and focus on the contebt point that you have raised a few times.

How do you see increased terrestrial presence through us creating more content, and how does that look for say the Aviva Prem which does more stuff?

Whay do they have above and beyond us that we can hope to learn from?

I am talking solely UK tv.

I dont watch any club RU but what do they have above and beyond live matches and a highlights show? Interested what is produced by them and what is produced by the broadcasters.

First thing we should do is have the Super League Show on nationwide at peak time. Ideally in the old Rugby Special Sunday teatime slot on BBC2 when kids will be watching. 

I think I’m right in thinking Sky doesn’t allow highlights to be shown before their Super League Fulltime show.

Perhaps it would be more enlightened of Sky - particularly as it uploads more or less instant online highlights of each match on their website - to allow the Beeb to broadcast SLS at a more ‘promotional’ hour?

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

this is the bbc we are talking about - they showed their true colours in their disgraceful treatment of Brian Mathew earlier in the year - an institution so outdated and belligerent they already make harrys new bird (forgot her name ) look like value for our money, the bbc paid for the rights? no they didn't - we did with our licence fee- some ru fan is on 75k a year sat in a trendy café  bar reading our emails of complaint as a job description then closing his laptop lid and heading off to measured up for a new man bag - time to ditch the bbc - if they wont listen to us

The treatment of Brian Matthew was heavily hyped as disgraceful by the Daily Mail (and their perennial vendetta against the Beeb) and virtually nobody else. He was over 20 years past retirement age, but the BBC had kept him on regardless. Three months after they finally let him go, he was dead. Did you really want him to die on the air?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

First thing we should do is have the Super League Show on nationwide at peak time. Ideally in the old Rugby Special Sunday teatime slot on BBC2 when kids will be watching. 

I think I’m right in thinking Sky doesn’t allow highlights to be shown before their Super League Fulltime show.

Perhaps it would be more enlightened of Sky - particularly as it uploads more or less instant online highlights of each match on their website - to allow the Beeb to broadcast SLS at a more ‘promotional’ hour?

But that is a different thing. No more content there.

got to work this morning, looked at BBC sport and 2 articles on the front page, one well written piece on Sam Burgess and on article about whether Wayne Bennett will continue on after the final.. also I was in the gym at 6.30 this morning listening to the Radio Five Live Rugby League Podcast which has been running for the whole tournament, and I have been listening to but completely forgot it was a BBC thing, which has been very good. so to be fair there is a bit going on.

BBC will give us the bare minimum to make it look like they have done a good job. Enough to be able to defend their coverage.

They should be mentioning the latest news in every news and sport feature, and if it was other sports it would be getting dropped in nicely to all sorts of programmes like the One Show etc. 

This should be getting advertised all over the place - the chance to see England in a World Cup Final at 9am on Saturday. It should be wall to wall.

23 hours ago, Dave T said:

Why do you assume they aren't?

The BBC have the rights to this tournament and show them almost begrudgingly.

As I said in my post Dave , they appear not to be....they might be sending great stuff back to the Beeb and it's just getting ignored ? Maybe we don't have a dedicated team with the required resources? Maybe Nigel has cut them in favour of his own wage rise??

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

BBC will give us the bare minimum to make it look like they have done a good job. Enough to be able to defend their coverage.

They should be mentioning the latest news in every news and sport feature, and if it was other sports it would be getting dropped in nicely to all sorts of programmes like the One Show etc. 

This should be getting advertised all over the place - the chance to see England in a World Cup Final at 9am on Saturday. It should be wall to wall.

No mention whatsoever 10 minutes ago.  The ‘based on our customers requirements after survey’ and ‘ customer led focus’ just don’t ring true.  

Archived