The Christmas Music Thread

My old school choir. Okay, one of the schools I attended, at least. And while I never made the first team, as it were, I was in the reserves, and did perform with them a few times a year.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cocteau Twins Frosty the Snowman

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

and Winter Wonderland

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

On 01/12/2017 at 11:52 PM, Futtocks said:

Love this

On 12/1/2017 at 10:34 PM, Futtocks said:

And

Gaudete is one of my all time favourite Christmas toons and Erasure did a very good version of it which gets played a lot by me at this time of year, but not quite as much as this jolly little number by the King of Christmas Past, Perry Como.

• 1 year later...
On 16/12/2017 at 00:29, Futtocks said:

My old school choir. Okay, one of the schools I attended, at least. And while I never made the first team, as it were, I was in the reserves, and did perform with them a few times a year.

I must have missed this thread two years ago, but am catching up now.  A heartfelt 'thank you', Futtocks, for selecting this, which I have been lucky enough to sing a couple of times; a quite brilliant piece.

On 12/12/2017 at 08:14, Trojan said:

or there's always (for those of us from Yorkshire that is)

I seemed to miss this thread in 2017, so belated thanks for these two versions of While shepherds watched.  I haven't heard the Maddy Prior tune before

You might like to know that attendees at the annual village carol service in the village of Whiteparish near Salisbury (tomorrow - Sunday, 22nd - at 6pm) will hear this text sung to the tune used by the Stamford Bridge Singers. 

To be honest, it has nothing to do with Yorkshire, other than subsequent use of the tune for the song, Ilkley Moor.  The words are by Nahum Tate, a Dubliner who settled in London, and the tune is a hymn tune used for this and other texts, from the pen of Thomas Clark, a Canterbury boot and shoe maker.  He gave the tune the title Cranbrook, which is a village a few miles east of Tunbridge Wells, and so still in Kent, I'm afraid!

At one time, when these matters were tightly regulated by the established church authorities, While shepherds watched was the only, Christmas-related text which could be set to music.  This explains why so many tunes have been noted in use with this text.

There is an outstandingly good, Yorkshire one.  It was written by John Foster (d 1822) of High Green, Ecclesfield, near Sheffield, who was a keen amateur musician, but a coroner by profession.  The Taverner Choir & Players give a very spirited performance of it on YouTube.

12 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I seemed to miss this thread in 2017, so belated thanks for these two versions of While shepherds watched.  I haven't heard the Maddy Prior tune before

You might like to know that attendees at the annual village carol service in the village of Whiteparish near Salisbury (tomorrow - Sunday, 22nd - at 6pm) will hear this text sung to the tune used by the Stamford Bridge Singers. 

To be honest, it has nothing to do with Yorkshire, other than subsequent use of the tune for the song, Ilkley Moor.  The words are by Nahum Tate, a Dubliner who settled in London, and the tune is a hymn tune used for this and other texts, from the pen of Thomas Clark, a Canterbury boot and shoe maker.  He gave the tune the title Cranbrook, which is a village a few miles east of Tunbridge Wells, and so still in Kent, I'm afraid!

At one time, when these matters were tightly regulated by the established church authorities, While shepherds watched was the only, Christmas-related text which could be set to music.  This explains why so many tunes have been noted in use with this text.

There is an outstandingly good, Yorkshire one.  It was written by John Foster (d 1822) of High Green, Ecclesfield, near Sheffield, who was a keen amateur musician, but a coroner by profession.  The Taverner Choir & Players give a very spirited performance of it on YouTube.

The tune is called Cranbbrook, the Ilkley Moor words were, so it is said made up by a choir on a trip to Dick Hudsons - a hostelry on Ilkley Moor.  The Maddy Prior tune is called Lydia, and is in the Methodist Hymn Book. Also used for O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing.  There is another tune in the MHB called Lyngham.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

What i don`t get is xmas no 1`s  being played at xmas when they have no connection to the actual season . East 17`s "stay another day " being a case in point , no mention at all in the lyrics , but just because they dressed up in white parkas and threw a bit of snow about doesn`t make it a xmas record.....stop playing it !

• John Drake changed the title to The Christmas Music Thread
On 22/12/2019 at 11:38, Trojan said:

The tune is called Cranbbrook, the Ilkley Moor words were, so it is said made up by a choir on a trip to Dick Hudsons - a hostelry on Ilkley Moor.  The Maddy Prior tune is called Lydia, and is in the Methodist Hymn Book. Also used for O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing.  There is another tune in the MHB called Lyngham.

Thanks for an excellent post, Trojan.  I didn't know about the alleged origin of the Ilkley Moor words, though I have been in Dick Hudson's a time or two, as I have friends in Eldwick.  Thanks for the name of the Maddy Prior tune and for the clip of Lyngham, which I have heard mentioned before, but never heard the tune.

You (and others) might well enjoy Andrew Gant's very readable paperback Christmas Carols if you haven't already come across it.  It has an entire chapter on While shepherds watched, which is maybe not surprising, given that it was the only legally permitted Christmas music text for church use for much of the 18th century!

On 22/12/2017 at 13:13, John Drake said:

Gaudete is one of my all time favourite Christmas toons and Erasure did a very good version of it which gets played a lot by me at this time of year, but not quite as much as this jolly little number by the King of Christmas Past, Perry Como.

John, there is an excellent version of Gaudete by The Sixteen, on YouTube.  If you don't know it, try it; an interesting contrast to the Erasure version, which I didn't know but enjoyed (for which, thanks)

There are at least 30 tunes that fit "While Shepherds Watched" - basically because it's written in the strict ballad form (8-6-8-6 syllable count). 
I like some Christmas pop songs but Mariah Carey and Wham, in particular, can do one.

Anyway, here's a version of a slightly less cheery Christmas song. Well, Winter. From the pen of Lindisfarne's great songwriter, Alan Hull.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Archived